User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
ElMartillo OP
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 344
1150GS Tail Electrics

Doing some work to the bike today, when I took off the tailsection I noticed a factory plug zip-tied to the rear subframe. Wondering if anyone can ID this. I've run power to the rear of the bike to charge batteries in my top case, but I'll utilize this plug if it's for accessory power.

Thanks in advance.

ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
That plug there is for a CO2 potentiometer. Your bike does not have it, since it has a lambda probe, AKA oxygen sensor. The harnesses are all the same, so some plugs remain unused.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
ElMartillo OP
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
That plug there is for a CO2 potentiometer. Your bike does not have it, since it has a lambda probe, AKA oxygen sensor. The harnesses are all the same, so some plugs remain unused.

Dan.
Thanks Dan, good info!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 908
On my 1150 that is where the shut off or turn on valve is for the vacuum for the charcoal canister.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m View Post
On my 1150 that is where the shut off or turn on valve is for the vacuum for the charcoal canister.
+1

I sealed mine off with electrical tap and zip tied it out of the way.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Cannister solenoid plug

That's the plug for the charcoal cannister solenoid. You must not have the cannister. It looks as though the solenoid is missing for sure. I know - I removed all that crap from my 1150GS yesterday to fit something else in place of the cannister.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post

That's the plug for the charcoal cannister solenoid.
Probably this. For sure if it's a 2-wire connector.

Regarding the use of the connector as an accessory power source. I think the connector is supplied switched 12V through one wire when the key is on, and the other wire is a switched ground from the Motronic ECU to operate the solenoid at the proper time. That means you should be able to use the switched 12V wire to power a phone charger or what not. If it is switched 12V you can easily pull a few amps from that gauge wire over 2 meters.

p.s.: I would verify the wiring instead of just from memory, but I don't have the pdf wiring diagram handy. I bet someone on here will check that for you. Hey you guys. Who has the factory 1150 wiring diagram handy?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
ElMartillo OP
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Regarding the use of the connector as an accessory power source. I think the connector is supplied switched 12V through one wire when the key is on, and the other wire is a switched ground from the Motronic ECU to operate the solenoid at the proper time. That means you should be able to use the switched 12V wire to power a phone charger or what not. If it is switched 12V you can easily pull a few amps from that gauge wire over 2 meters.

p.s.: I would verify the wiring instead of just from memory, but I don't have the pdf wiring diagram handy. I bet someone on here will check that for you. Hey you guys. Who has the factory 1150 wiring diagram handy?

Thanks to all for the good info, I can't read a wiring diagram but I'll put my multimeter on it to see what it does. I've already run a fused wire direct from the battery, but if I can utilize this power it will be less wires and a little tidier. I wonder if I could find a plug to fit it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
That's the plug for the charcoal cannister solenoid. You must not have the cannister. It looks as though the solenoid is missing for sure. I know - I removed all that crap from my 1150GS yesterday to fit something else in place of the cannister.
Don't suppose you'd sell me the matching plug that you removed so I can have a cleaner connection point? :)

Thanks, gentlemen!