User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Health Insurance Latin America Trip

I'm in the planning stages of a Los Angeles to Ushuaia ride beginning in October of 2013, and am beginning to navigate the complexities of health insurance for the ride. Seems important to have it, as well as medical evacuation insurance as a serious accident/care/evacuation could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I am 61, in good health, and will be riding my '11 R12GSA.

I'd like to hear from others, especially CA residents who've purchased travel insurance...names of companies, cost of premiums, etc, etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
medjetassist.com is just one of several.
Search is your best buddy...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
medjetassist.com is just one of several.
Search is your best buddy...
Yes, I am checking into Medjet for emergency medical evacuation. I've been researching on HU as well for travel/medical insurance. I've gotten a couple of leads, but so far no return on emails or phone calls...

What have other US citizens motoing in SA used for medical insurance?

Cheers
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
"insuremytrip" has a chart of plans
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
medexassist.com for medical (FrontierMEDEX)

medjetassist.com for air evac**

Your homework is done

**Always remember, MedJet is in-patient status to in-patient status. In other words, you have to be picked up from a "medical facility" and have a need for continued in-patient treatment at your destination of choice. They're not going to simply fly you home and let you get off the jet to go home your house. PM if you are not sure.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
My experiences.........

I've been traveling Central America now for about for about 40 years with airplanes, cars, trucks and motorcycles. I've carried Blue Cross / Blue Shield for the past 30 years.

I have needed medical attention several times and hospitalized once. General illnesses and one motorcycle accident. Blue Cross always paid their share once I got home and filed a claim with the medical paper work provided by the locals.

I have never heard of a medical facility that will not provide immediate medical treatment to stabilize you. But once that's done you had better have cash available to get admitted to a major facility if you need advanced medicine. Your new found medical insurance, which ever once you settle on is not going to have an office readily available to assume and approve your cost or if the hospital can or cannot do it for you.

South of the boarder medicine does not operate like here in the US.

The biggest problem with a need for medical assistance down south is the time it takes for assistance if you have moving accident. You'll most probably be out in the middle of now where when it happens. Minor medical needs can be taken care of with out too much trouble.

If you have any medical conditions now or take any medication, do this. Make a list of conditions and medicines taken, then write it on a small card (several of them) and put one in your helmet, pockets of jackets, tank bag and in your side cases. You just never know!

Good luck on your trip.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 766
As BeachGuy wrote, you may get emergency care even without insurance, but you may be better off without that "care." in many places, if you do not have insurance, you will be taken to a public hospital and you are just about assured of getting crappy care.

check out allianz travel insurance. i've used them for 5 years. last year i got hit by a taxi in nicaragua and had a fairly severe ankle fracture. they covered 100%+++ of my medical expenses. they even covered wifi in the hospital and all of fiance's in-hospital meals! no bullshit. no waiting. the hospital accepted the insurance after a letter of guaranty was sent over via email!

$400 per year for the executive plan will get you $25,000 in emergency medical coverage plus a whole lot more.

also, do a little research on the better hospitals near where you will be riding. keep a list. find out if they accept the insurance you decide to buy. if you do get hurt/sick, insist on being taken to one of the places on your list if you are near. $20 to an ambulance driver (yes, that's what they are down yonder) will work wonders.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
FWIW, lots of (wide coverage medical insurance-meaning to say "good" insurance plans from employers) don't even cover out of state issues except for emergencies let alone out of country.
Maybe nowdays just tell em you got Obamacare?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,258
IAMAT is a good source of info

I learned about this organization while getting my shots before this trip from a nurse specializing in travel medicine.

http://www.iamat.org/index.cfm

Joining is free. At the least, you'll get a list of medical facilities and doctors who meet some kind of standard and have personnel who speak English. They probably discuss insurance but I haven't checked all the pages on the site.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Guys, thanks so much for the responses. I'll be investigating plans you've mentioned as well as contacting Medjet regarding emergency evac.

Cheers,
Steve