ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
boomer bike-travel OP
the F 800GS twins

Oddometer: 44
RTW-travelers looking for the best rides between Florida and Canada

Hi guys,

we're Kati and Jens and left Germany more than two years ago to go on our "once-in-a-lifetime-trip". Ok - it's not gonna be the last one

We've already been to Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Paraguay, Brazil, Alaska, Canada, Western-US, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and on the way to Panama.

In a couple of weeks we're coming back to the States - flying the bikes from Panama to Miami. As it is cheaper to get the bikes back to Europe from the States or Canada, we want to ride from Florida to Toronto.

We're looking for the best rides on our way north. Which are the roads that shouldn't be missed? Where are great spots for camping - without having a 35ft RV next to you?

You can find more informations about the trip, tons of pictures and videos on our website (embedded translation available) http://www.boomer.de

Looking forward to your insider-tipps and infos

http://www.boomer.de Around-the-world Blog and cool GS-Shirts (translation button on the right sidebar)
boomer bike-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,967
1 Vote for West Virginia

I started looking through your ride reports and photos - wonderful! Looks like an exciting adventure. I will look through more pages as I find time.

If you are heading north from Florida to Canada, I would recommend spending some time in West Virginia. I have a website: www.RidingWV.com with recommended destinations and routes. The site is still not complete, and some pages are still empty. Hope you find something interesting. PM me when you are going to be in the area, and maybe we can meet for lunch. I would be happy to play tourguide for a day. Ich spreche bischen Deutsch.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:18 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,787
Don't miss north Georgia, eastern Tennessee around the Tellico Plains, Cherohayla Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Smokey Mountains. Pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway being sure to catch at least the best section between Cherokee, North Carolina and Asheville North Carolina. As a matter of fact, if you've not ridden it before, I'd recommend riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkyway and seeing the sights along the way.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
boomer bike-travel OP
the F 800GS twins

Oddometer: 44
Hi folks,

thanks for all your suggestions.
Because of some problems with our bikes we're still in the "warm" south. Maybe we'll ride a detour to visit New Orleans.
Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon and BRP are on the bucket list for the way north.

Hopefully it get's warmer pretty soon

http://www.boomer.de Around-the-world Blog and cool GS-Shirts (translation button on the right sidebar)
boomer bike-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
really good to meet you guys in the everglades! im pming you some stuff!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
If you make it to SC, let us know! I will come ride. Charleston is also a great place to visit. PM if you want more details and I can set you up with inmates down that way!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
new orleans is the most expensive place i've ever been so take money!

if flying into miami, detour south to the keys. you've got to do a sunset at key west so overnight will be required. traveling north through fla, stop in st augustine for a day. camping at Hugenot Park in Jacksonville, on the beach, is appx $12 a night.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
An interesting ride is to take the BRP into north central NC hen take Hwy 16 north through VA and into WVA, whole lots of good riding without many people.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
16 in North Carolina (NC) up thru Virginia (VA) is a good ride, I'll second that

a place to camp is http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/ in VA off the Blue Ridge

also do a search of the state parks along your route. they tend to have good camping.

as for must do roads, I assume you'll hit Deals Gap you may want to ride north on NC 209 from I-40 to Hot Springs, NC. It's longer and just as good as the Dragon. Better in my opinion, as the speed limit is still 55 and little to no traffic.

any roads in West Virginia (WV) going north will be worth the trip and there is always the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride.

keep in mind from Georgia (GA) to Pennslyvania the valleys run SW to NE so the twisty roads go SE to NW. a fun route would be following the mountains north from GA.

don't miss the Finger Lakes area of NY
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map

freaking RT screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:55 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote