Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Wolfgang55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Stock R12GS ratio to high ?

Looking to lower the FD ratio on an 09.
Planning on getting a sidecar & don't want to be slipping the clutch, nor do I want the additional cost of a different clutch now.

Bike has only 16,000 miles. We don't slip the clutch as many others do & don't care to start now. Any suggestions as to who or where to go for a better ratio for this ''Hack to be''?

This is to be a pavement & hard pack touring rig, a rough riding scrambler.

Any direction is appreciated
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,756
There are 3 possibilities that I'm aware of.

1. the 3.0 ratio FD from a european R850 RT. Available from your dealer.

2. Switch to a GSA, or replace your trans with the Enduro trans from one.

3. Go to "the Dark Side". You can get a slightly smaller diameter car tire that will effectively lower your drive output. Considering tire wear on a rig, this option will save you money on tires in the long run, and don't cost any more than the 3.0 FD

None of the options will get you more than 3-4% lower. A lower profile car tire, with an Enduro transmission and a 3.0 FD will get you about 7-8% lower (which is a huige difference)

Jay, from DMC sidecars once told me he has only wished for a lower ratio when towing his tent trailer behind his rig, 2-up and with luggage.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
I can give a little personal experince. I have an 08 GSA. Last summer I blew up the tranny out in the NV desert NW of Gerlach.

A new Enduro tranny was around $3k so I looked for a used one. Looked for months and finally found a standard one w/ only ~9k miles one it for $1250.

I've had it out a few times since treadless & I installed it in December. Starting takes a bit more clutch but once you get going, it doesn't matter. The only this that would be a real clutch slipping occasion would probably starting on a steep incline. The higher 6th gear doesn't seems to improve the mpg much if any, but I haven't had it out for any kind of significant distance. The more relaxed engine RPMs at freeway speeds is nice. Acceleration and passing is adequate w/o downshifting, but you might have to drop a gear on a long grade.

So for me, at least, the standard tranny is going to work out just fine.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,413
Max 3.0

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic..._3.0%20UPGRADE

Even though BMW likes to have their bikes have lots of low end grunt they are still oversquare (bores greater than stroke) and usually like a few more rpms, I just looked at some specs peak torque 5500, HP beyond 7250.Gear it down twist its tail, my 1150gsa always delivers better economy with less grunting more spinning.
Just for you Wolfie its German not a Buell.DB
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Wolfgang55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
I know close doesn't count but mine is better

[QUOTE
Just for you Wolfie its German not a Buell.DB[/QUOTE]

My Buell has a very close to German motor, the Austrain Rotex 1125.
But then only in Horse Shoes.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,919
I originally had my sidecar on an 07 GS. I live on a hill, and pretty much all of Vermont is hilly. Honestly, I never had a problem with the gearing. The only reason I changed to the GSA was the sidecar did horrible things to my range, and the larger gas tank restored a decent range. The enduro tranny didn't make a difference I could notice, but when I converted to a car tire that plus the tranny made uphill starts a tiny bit easier in stop and go traffic. But this is Vermont. We have Rush Minute, not Rush Hour. Stop and go here lasts about two minutes.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
[QUOTE
Just for you Wolfie its German not a Buell.DB
My Buell has a very close to German motor, the Austrain Rotex 1125.
But then only in Horse Shoes.[/QUOTE]

Austrian motor owned by a Canadian Co, it was rather sad that when he finally got a motor and a chassis together HD was in bad enough shape to just shut the Buell business down.By then it was almost a cool bike but I'm originally a Ducati owner, I had a 944 Monster and test rode a Lightening but it had push rods and shook allot.DB