User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
xcaret OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
how the heck do you get a tire off ??

I have my BMW tool kit with two tire changing tools ,but I cant even break the bead ?? The wheels are aluminum. Its a 1978 R100RS I heard you can lay the wheel down and drive a car onto the tire ,but I tried that on another bike once and nothing happened.. This has tube type tires ,not tubless.
xcaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Side stand

I'm presuming you have let the air out

Try using the side stand and the weight of the bike.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,702
I use big honking channel locks to break the bead. (rather I used to - now I take stuff in to a tire place)

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
On the side of the road, use your sidestand as mentioned above. At home, for a really stubborn one, load it in a vice. (95% of the time just laying it on a curb and standing on it bouncing up and down a bit is enough to break it, but maybe I'm heavier than you)

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
work it with a big vise is good or a couple of big c-clamps, if your not planning to reuse the tire. You could buy one of the bead breakers. I can usually stand on the tire with my heel on the edge near the rim and keep working on it. Put one heal near the rim edge and your foot to counter the weight at the rim edge.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,248
Warm tire/good tire irons/lube/ lots of patience....Youtube has many videos.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
xcaret OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks all you folks who offered advise .. ( yes I let the air out. lol )
I have a big vise and channel locks plus c-clamps so I'll get at it later this evening ..
xcaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Breaking the bead

When I had to break the bead on a tire that had been on the wheel for 28 years I didn't so much drive a car over it as drop the car on it. Worked a treat.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
I assume you're at home..

The bead can be broken with just two tire irons/spoons and some determination. And soap..

Best I've come up with I read here I think.

Plenty of soapy water sprayed on the rim/bead as you work. A warmed up tire might make it easier also.

Take one lever and get it in there prying up against the rim. An inch or two away take the other lever and pry down. You may have better luck if you take a small block of wood and put it under the lever that's pressing the tire down.
It will get you more leverage. I've used a wrench and maybe a deep socket under the lever before, but a block of wood works better. A 1" piece of 2x4 is about right.

Basically you pry up with one lever stuck in there deep prying the bead down away from the rim while pushing down with the other lever, pushing the actual sidewall down at the same time. Hold pressure, spray soap, more pressure, then move over a bit and do it again.

It's really a pain, but if you work at it, it will start to move. Figure about 10 minutes a side once you get the technique down. It's the hardest part of changing a tire.

After you get both beads broke free, you then can get both beads to drop into the center of the rim while you pry the tire off the rim on the opposite side of the rim. I've read that a few zipties around the tire on one side can help.

I haven't used it yet, but I recently bought a bead breaker from harbor freight.
The safety beads on my motard rims have a tenacious death grip on the bead. I have no doubt that they would hold a flat tire on the rim for many miles if ridden slowly and transferring my lardness to the good tire.

Your rim prolly has the same safety lip as this;

Harbor freight Bead breaker;

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,286
I'm lucky-- I've been able to break the bead by just stepping it off.

But didn't ADV Inmate "Martian" come up with a bead breaker a couple of years ago that required minimal parts and fabrication? I've looked, but haven't been able to find that post.

Tires are harder nowadays to get off than they were many years ago simply because most tires are now tubeless and have stronger beads and stiffer sidewalls. I find that it works better to use a real ture lubricant (like Ru-Glide) and longer, 16" tire irons with the double-recurve ends (like Motion-Pro). And do your own tire changes to keep in practice.

--Bill
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,747
Like mentioned above, I found that using a hard-heeled boot and working/jumping could eventually break the bead... but that doesn't mean the tire is flexible enough to be pulled over the rim after that.....

I had a tire that had been on, and full of air, for so long that I had to resort to this:

...course, you cannot re-use the tire.....
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
After I broke the bead with the weight of the car I did exactly that. The rubber was so hard after 28 years I didn't want to risk damaging the rim. Rubber and textile cuts easily enough but the bead wire was tough. Very neat, looks like you used a disc cutter ?
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Like mentioned above, I found that using a hard-heeled boot and working/jumping could eventually break the bead... but that doesn't mean the tire is flexible enough to be pulled over the rim after that.....

I had a tire that had been on, and full of air, for so long that I had to resort to this:

...course, you cannot re-use the tire.....
This is not funny. It's reality. I ended up cutting every old airhead tire instead of dismount them using manual tire changer. What you see on the Utube how easy it is using the manual tire changer to mount/dismount the tire is only true to certain degree. It might be easy to mount/dismount fresh and wide tubeless tire.

On old and narrow airhead tire, if it's dry like to picture above, you need to cut it off or send the tire to the MC shop to have it removed with a machine. If you try to remove the tire manually ,you will most likely damage or bend the rim. Last time I bought a stubborn old tire to the shop it took 2 guys with a tire machine to have the tire removed.

I finally know the limitation of a manual tire changer. Very tempting to buy an automatic one.
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
If you want to change your own tyres, make/buy a bead breaker.
The rear tyre seems to hang on very well, the front less so, from my experience. Seems that different brands are easier/harder to get off.
A couple of longer tyre irons are good to have at home, but it pays to learn to use what is in the tool kit for roadside repairs.
Those little air/Co2? bottles are great for pumping up a flat. 3 bottles will give about 32 psi.

I made this bead breaker to take on the bike when touring into remote areas.

What was that T shirt picture with the vultures? Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
I made a bead breaker and it works great, prior to this I would pay to have tubeless tires changed after a bad experience changing a K100 tire. Also get a gallon of tire mounting lube at Napa (about $15), makes removing and mounting tires much easier and works better than soapy water...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote