User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
Keihin 35mm Air Striker Carb Jetting

Anybody put these on an airhead that could give me some jetting advice? I'm running cylinders, pistons and heads from a '92 r100gs and a 38mm exhaust. I got this set off a 2000 something Yamaha Banshee. Getting carbs from a 2-stroke 4-wheeler to work on the G/S might be a challenge.

The carbs are coming with the original cables and the thumb throttle. I'm going to try to rig it and at least take a trip around the block with the thumb throttle

tags: Keihin PWK A/S flat slide mikuni tm tmx vm round slide

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oh come on. I can't be the first person to pull carbs off a 4-wheeler and try to make 'em work on a G/S. Maybe I should've pulled some off a tractor

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

My solution to most airhead upgrades, 'wait until AW figures it out', didn't work this time. Damnit, now I have to do it the hard way! Well, at least the forks'll be easy.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
It says race use only. That kinda guarantees fun.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Yeah but I found that pic on a Vespa website. That might be some hipster swag. They may also sell pants that are really skinny and 2 inches too short to save weight for "racing".

Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
When I get dedicated enough to going fast to ride a racing Vespa, I will have lost anything those pants were trying to constrict anyway.

Jk. I'd totally race a Vespa. I'm easy.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
'wait until AW figures it out', didn't work this time.
Sorry, boss. You're on your own on this one.

Air striker. Ha. Awesome name. I vote that you leave the "racing use only" stickers on there. Not quite as cool as the "not for aircraft use" stickers that come on mikunis though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
So first lets start with what can be changed. Can you change the needle jet, jet needle, slide angle? I ended up shooting into a barrel with my needle jet size and just got incredibly lucky. Msp has a dyno and only charges 50-75$ for a run but their probe won't fit in out stock muffler so lets get the busa in there. Can you get a chart to show sizes for different machines these will work on?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Yep, it's got different slides, different needles, different needle heights, the whole 9 yards. I haven't bought any jets yet because I don't have the slightest clue even what range I'd be in. I'm not sure of the jetting that will come from the Banshee.

They're all on 2-stroke dirtbikes. I haven't found any specs from people putting these on 4-strokes. Hopefully I didn't screw up buying them. I read a lot of people switching from the Mikunis to the Keihins on thumpertalk because they're easier to jet. Nobody said it performs any better, just simpler to tune. That's what caused me to take the risk and get these carbs. This is the website that sold me on the air strikers:

http://motocrosshideout.com/cr250cr1...w-out-the-tmx/

I've got a good guide on the carbs but I still expect this to be a long process. Really wish these had that quick release float bowl. I'm going to have to pull those bowls a thousand times.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:21 AM
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I've got a good guide on the carbs but I still expect this to be a long process. Really wish these had that quick release float bowl. I'm going to have to pull those bowls a thousand times.
Might as well head down to True Value now a get those Allen head replacement bolts. Sure beats stripping one of those dodgy Phillips heads.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
Might as well head down to True Value now a get those Allen head replacement bolts. Sure beats stripping one of those dodgy Phillips heads.
+1 However, if you're worried about changing the main over and over, there is a plug on the bottom that allows for access to the main. Mine is a 17mm

There must be a compairison somewhere between Mik and Kehin jets so we can at least get you in the ball park.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 456
I have no idea if this is accurate but here's a chart:
http://hawkgtforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3690
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
Brad, you gonna have to get your air filter set up first as this will affect everything you do on the carb. No point jetting the carb 1st then figuring out the air filter arrangement. No point putting the cart before the horse if you do you'll wind up in the sand.......LIKE JENNA...

My DRZ doesn't run worth a shit with out the air filter. I tore it once when cleaning and who would have thought a needle and thread would be needed in a tool kit!!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oh I'm not going to run without an air filter. I'd like to try it without the snorkel some time but I'm not taking off the filter. If I drop the snorkel I'll throw an oil-soaked green pad over the top of the filter. I think some bungee cords ought to hold it down.

I'm fully expecting to do a 'Fred Special' and hose clamp a split inner-tube around the intake boots.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Well, a Banshee is a 2 stroke and only 350cc (so 175cc per side) and since 2 strokes run so different than a 4 stroke, I am going to say this should be way fun! I am going to go out on a limb here and say slap em on and see if it'll run! What is your altitude? Close to sea level yes?