User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
lentil OP
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,400
Building a Vstrom For Off Road use

Okely dokely so my K8 Vstrom is having a few mods made as we speak to get ready for a trip into the desert, Dont get me wrong I think , I am modding some XR forks (complete rebuild) to put ona 21 inch front

have bought a Cognet Dynmaics Rear shock

The Bike runs a stain tune exhaust and give Crash bars along with some LED lights for night riding, and a carbon fibre rear guard that looks better and looses weight ver the standard.

and I think it should go all ok other than being a touch on the heavy side. Ill post up some pics as the build comes along

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
lentil OP
All round nice guy

First conundrum is fuel

I need a minimum of 55 litres id reckon

So with 22 in the tank:

Im planning 2 * 10 litres in the rear panniers
another 10 litre bladder strapped to the seat
and a 5 in my front bags

only now I cant get the bags to fit the 10 litre jerry I bought.

Im considering just cable tying the zips together so that they cant slide out ?

or rigging up a flat piece on the pegs?

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery ?

Apple fanboy

Quote:
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Rotopax perhaps Leith?

A couple of the 6.6 litre ones mounted to the crash bars, or on the rear footpeg area [keeps the weight lower].

I have a 7.6 litre that I tie flat on the rear rack of the KLE

Currently I'm considering getting the 15.1 litre and making a bigger rack to mount it on, then I can strap my camping bag on top of it.

I got mine from Steve at AdventureMoto.

On my Strom I'd run the 15.1 litre lengthwise rather than across the bike, that way I could have it overlap the pillion seat a bit and strap my camping bag lengthwise as well.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
55 liters gives 1100 km of range under unfavorable conditions, and 1300 or more under favorable. Where the hell you gonna ride it having no gas for a 1000 kms?

BTW, no matter what suspension or other mods you have, the wee will still keep its limiting features: intimidating mass, high COG and poor mass distribution, wrong motor. Let alone your extra gas.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
And add way too much front wheel weight and a high CG to the equation. Not fun in those sand washes and arroyos out West at all. They get great fuel mileage. The last thing one would need to do is overburden the suspension with extra gas .I would say do a weight-lifting program to help you pick it up off the ground repeatedly. MX bars and KLR cleated pegs must be added to equipment also. Sounds like a lot of work.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
lentil OP
All round nice guy

Let me start by saying:

although they dont it prettily or well Vstrom I think can go most places with a bit of care and extra time.

thats me 2nd bike in on some single trail which we did just before xmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Rotopax perhaps Leith?

A couple of the 6.6 litre ones mounted to the crash bars, or on the rear footpeg area [keeps the weight lower].

I have a 7.6 litre that I tie flat on the rear rack of the KLE

Currently I'm considering getting the 15.1 litre and making a bigger rack to mount it on, then I can strap my camping bag on top of it.

I got mine from Steve at AdventureMoto.

On my Strom I'd run the 15.1 litre lengthwise rather than across the bike, that way I could have it overlap the pillion seat a bit and strap my camping bag lengthwise as well.
Hey Ock yeah I have considered rotopax im thinking I might use some small wolfman panniers I have on the front bars as surrogate rotopax and distribute the fuel into them as well.(My problem is im tight)

The other thing I am seriously considering is a homemade peg packer on the rear pegs so that the 10 litres is distributed even lower ?

I have made good on five litres gaffa taped to the rear pegs in the past but dont think the 10 litres in the rough going of the simpson will sit up as nicely in place and last with just gaffa tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
55 liters gives 1100 km of range under unfavorable conditions, and 1300 or more under favorable. Where the hell you gonna ride it having no gas for a 1000 kms?

BTW, no matter what suspension or other mods you have, the wee will still keep its limiting features: intimidating mass, high COG and poor mass distribution, wrong motor. Let alone your extra gas.
A big adventure didnt ever start with a sensible idea , but your right and I need to get it as well sorted as it can be.

we are heading to the simpson desert in the middle of Australia. 1100 Dunes. at this stage I am planning on a west to east crossing although some other blokes will be doing a double on more sensible bikes, 990, tigers, dr 650

Im used to picking up piglets of the suzuki variety, here my DR 650 and I after a miscalculation.

1100 dunes of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
And add way too much front wheel weight and a high CG to the equation. Not fun in those sand washes and arroyos out West at all. They get great fuel mileage. The last thing one would need to do is overburden the suspension with extra gas .I would say do a weight-lifting program to help you pick it up off the ground repeatedly. MX bars and KLR cleated pegs must be added to equipment also. Sounds like a lot of work.
The bike has ATV high bars , pivot pegs and scotts steering dampener, it really only the pilot that is the problem, I have been at the gym and lost 60 pounds (30 kilos), and although I am going to do this trip I am hoping with the added suspension mods the bike will become a lot more enjoyable on day to day rides.

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
I think this is a very interesting video...

mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Proof that it's not the bike, its the idiot on it
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
lentil OP
All round nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I think this is a very interesting video...

I do like that video - only wish I could ride as well

But seriously doesnt every vstrom get a ride like this once in its life

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
Do you plan on keeping the stock gearing on the DL650?

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
lentil OP
All round nice guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Do you plan on keeping the stock gearing on the DL650?

NFE
Err I am currently running (from memory Im not the greatest record keeper)

14-47 its a tad short for me but think I will keep that shortness for the desert run and the go back to a 15 -47 on thew return - I just dont have the legs for the any highway stuff!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
lentil OP
All round nice guy

So the Shock arrived today and I should have some photies of it in action by tommorrow afternoon our time

I was like a kid in a lolly shop today when it arrived.

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #13
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
I'm IN!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
lentil OP
All round nice guy

So im just back from an explore down the river with the new shock in place!

WOW is all I can say - im going to make some PRE load adjustments (It to stiff) but the bike is a completely different animal - notedly in some of the rougher 4wd tracks where your dodging and weaving wheel rutts so I am pretty happy with the out come.

Cognet made the shock with a 46mm body and a 16mm shaft (stock is 40mm and 14mm, respectively). This allows for a greater volume of fluid, therefore providing performance consistency and more accurate adjustability. The shock body and reservoir are both aluminum, which further aids in heat dissipation (the stock shock is steel, and is an emulsion type, with no piston to separate the fluid from the nitrogen). "

: What I have is a 46mm body shock with an internal reservoir. It has the potential of an overall length of 360 mm but is now at 355mm because of the 5mm spacer that IS INSTALLED. <<-- all this wast take straight form the original build thread located here

the Extra 41 + mm travel is certainly welcome and the bike sits up a bit higher which takes some geting used to.

Im amazed mr Suzuki doesnt spend another $500 and build decent suspension in the V strom it just makes such a difference. one the little part of loose gravel i came across the bike felt allot more responsive.

I have some photos Ill try and get them up later tonight

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
EZ enough to obtain a set of RM 250/450 forks and a 21 in front wheel for an RM on EBay. You use the supermoto front brake rotor and caliper. Then you have what you need for real off road work. Those forks are for a street bike that are on one stock. Especially now that you have an extra 41mm of length on the rear shock. You will get a lot of flex. Take a good look at that flimsy set of triple clamps on that thing............. Now look at the t-clamps on an RM USD set. No contest.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote