User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
A curious journey - 1

Hey everyone, first post here, please be gentle :)

When I graduated high school I was hungry for adventure. I wanted to drive the perimeter of the US over the summer after my senior year. At the time I allowed my friends and family to talk me out of it. It would be dangerous, and I didn't have the means on my own to make it without their support. I worked that summer (lifeguarding) instead, saving up as much cash as I could before going away to college in the fall of 2003.

I did have the luxury of choosing my focus for higher learning. I chose graphic design... Having developed a love of photography, with an artistic and technologically adaptable brain it seemed like the perfect fit. And it was.

I have been working in the visual arts and communication industry since 2005 and graduated in Portland Oregon in the spring of 2007. I have chosen career over my personal life at every point along the way. That's not to say I'm a hermit... Just that I've been sprinting on that treadmill of life knowing that if I work hard enough good things will happen.

3 months ago I had a breakthrough.

After working for a small, local ad agency here in Olympia Washington for 4 years, I met a person who ran a very successful law firm. He was in need of a marketing director, and offered me nearly double my previous salary to go to work for him. I was ready for the challenge and hungry for the cash so I jumped ship just after thanksgiving 2012.

I had so much to be thankful for.

The new job started off great, lots of interesting work, and my ideas and observations about the business were being well received and implemented with a reasonable amount of fanfare and success... The company website (responsible for roughly 70% of all our leads and clients) was next up on the list. I was excited to dig into this project most of all. I had been building and managing the digital design department for my previous company... This project was in my comfort zone to make something awesome happen.

This is where everything turned ugly.

Within a month my boss had become so frustrated and irrational with the process that I was being treated like garbage every day. After two weeks of trying to maintain a positive attitude and move the website process forward I snapped. I walked out without a word. Just an email giving him my reasons for leaving.

I love my work, but I realized that day that my integrity and self-worth was more valuable to me than earning a paycheck. If you know anyone in the creative services industry ask the, about clients from hell... We all have stories. Just so happened my breakthrough opportunity was for the most hellacious client I've ever encountered. Nice guy... Bad client.

Now I'm unemployed for the first time since being a student. it's time to go back and do what I wanted to do 10 years ago after graduating high school.

I'm riding solo from the north west to the south east United States. I'll be keeping a ride log along the way and look forward to contributing to the adv rider community.

I am camping and couch surfing with friends and family along the way, so stay tuned for what should be a pretty good time!

I leave tomorrow.

-Paul
curiousthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 166
Enjoy your new adventure
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Good luck and post some pics!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

I'm using tapatalk for iPad and iPhone on the rout (and right now) is using imgur to host images acceptable? Or is it better to do it another way?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
The only way to post pics on this forum is to host them on a pic hosting site and then hotlink them to your report.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

Thanks GB - imgur it shall be then! Will post some pics when I pick up my bike in a bit.... New tires, chain and sprockets.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Paul:

You are lucky (unlimited time) and unlucky (limited funds) but do you mean you are heading to KW: Key West ?

can't wait until you are on the road and posting up some photos, then we can find out what bike/setup you have

most ride reports are to the South and I don't speak Spanish so I was contemplating a ride like yours too

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

@bESS here is a link to my rough route. http://bit.ly/YW2Wxe Will send some pics of the bike and my packing setup today as I do my preparations. You're right about the unlucky and lucky parts... Good thing I've got room on my credit card! :)
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Looks like a good ride
Best, cheapest camping in Montery is at the Veterans Memorial Park.
How come you're going inland at Monterey and taking the Freeway to Santa Barbara? 1 South shouldn't be too crowded this time of year and Big Sur probably won't be fogged in until a little later in the spring.

Jamala Beach is another good camp ground near Santa Barbara, a little out of the way, but I'm told they have a killer hamberger joint there. Might be a little pricey for camping though.

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
curiousthomas OP
Adventurer

thanks for the reply airride. that map is just my rough route. google maps ran out of waypoints I have another file going with better roads to take which will ultimately put me in the same places you mentioned. 1 through big sur is definitely on that other one. ill be avoiding interstates as much as possible.

http://imgur.com/d9OiHPK tent and table of stuff...

http://imgur.com/FQua2k4 stuff on the table
Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Paul:

looks like it's going to be a nice trip.

can't wait until you get rolling. I'm heading East in Mid July but not unlimited time like you. I am heading from BC to the Atlantic Ocean so I'm looking at maps too

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Go Paul Go
Have fun keep us posted .Relax and enjoy the ride and the people .
will head down us1 this summer to Laguna Seca motogp. Paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Looking forward to your trip and what you encounter along the way. I am starting one next month, opposite of you. I'll be leaving from the SE and heading West. Good Luck and Safe Riding.

DestinationUnknown screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 06:15 PM
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
I am subscribed and wish you a safe journey. Are you really taking the Interstate from Florence SC to Atlanta?
Head north out of SC and hit the Blue Ridge area then come down through Helen, Ga to Atlanta. You could spend two weeks and not ride the same twistie twice, some of the best riding around. You cannot live where you live, hit the Southeast and miss the mountains.

Just saying, zoom that map in and look at those squiggly lines.

Be safe, update often.

Terry
terryckdbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,008
I covered a lot of those same miles 11 months ago. Don't miss Cape Perpetua OR and the Barber Museum in Birmingham AL.
This link helped me avoid quite a bit of rain.: http://www.wunderground.com/roadtrip/

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote