Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Retics OP
n00b

Oddometer: 74
Wink Whats your favourite aftermarket seat?

I have seen a couple of nice aftermarket seats for my GS 1150 Adventure, what is your preference ? I was thinking of a Corbin.

Post pics of your seat setup. Cheers.

http://instagram.com/p/Wams6voS_V/
Retics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I make my own, but I would recommend Rich's Custom seats in Seattle. They can do a mail order or in person fittings. Good excuse for a road trip. People always seem really happy with there stuff, also Russel Day longs are quite popular. I haven't had a Corbin on my gs, but I loved the one on the old klr I had.
My custom setup I made for me

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 09:23 PM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
toecutta
06 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 136
mjm custom motorbike seats - goulburn nsw Au

http://www.mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au/gallery.html
probably a bit of a hike for most of you
but i wanted to put my 2c worth in anyway...
great seats and a good guy to boot

i am a happy customer
toecutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Frani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I was undecided for my 1200 GSA and finally I took 2 seats.

Sportsseat from Touratech and comfort seat from Wunderlich for longer rides ...

Frani screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 07:15 AM
Frani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Russell Day Long. Happy posterior.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,150
Isnt' there an article in BMWON this month about seats?
I have 2 Bill Mayer saddles. One in the normal 2 piece and one in ADV style. Both were custom fit to me. The GF got one for her F650 also. No complaints from either of us. I got a sargent seat for my RT. I'd rather have a Mayer saddle but time was a factor when I got it. It's still way way way better to me than the stock BMW seat.

I've seen seats from Rich's Custom in Seattle. Really nice work and they seem comfortable. You never know until you actually use one though. I may try them out next time I need a seat.

Be Warned. Seat threads can get as bad as oil threads. Full of unsubstantiated opinion being held up as indisputable truth.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Retics OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Russell Day Long. Happy posterior.
Day long seems ok but not sure If I want the full sofa , might be a little more daunting if I go off road.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
wafish
Crashy VonBrokenbits

Oddometer: 173
There are two other places in Seattle that might be worth looking at. Mac's Upholstery, and Apex stitching.

I've been in to Mac's, and spoke with the guy that does them - seems he's quite good at it, and priced a bit lower than Rich.

Heard about Apex from the owner of Seattle Used Bikes (former owner of DucSea). He had lots of good stuff to say about them. Their seats look really good, but apparently Apex doesn't do gel.
wafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,430
I was ready to go with a Russell, as I'd had excellent luck with them but I was told by two separate Iron Butt Rally vets to consider Sargent..

I had a discount coupon for Sargent and figured that the worst I would have to do is order a Russell and sell the Sargent.. No need.. Sargent is still on the bike and I love it..

And I wouldn't piss on Mike Corbin if he were on fire.. Worst Customer Service, EVER!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,277
I had them all. The best for me was the Sargent!

Corbin- Hard and odd shape for the R1200GS. I loved Corbin on the R1100GS, R1100RS and KLR.

Bill Mayer-Too tall, odd shape for me.

Russel -Russell was just strange, though I bought it second hand instead of made for me. The sargent was great!

Sargent-I put 40K miles on it, and my friend another 100K.

Rick Mayer and Sargent- I got the Rick Mayer last thinking a custom seat made for me must be better. It wasn't. It was about the same as the sargent, but the leather didn't wear well, and it cost a lot for a 2.5 month wait.

IMHO, the Sargent is the best bang for the buck for me.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
I've purchased quite a few in the year and a half that I've had my GSA. I had the Touratech X-LO seat, Touratech Gore-Tex seat, BMW low, BMW standard, Wunderlich GS seat and 2 Sargent seats. The first Sargent I purchased this time of year because Sargent give 20% off during bike week. I think I got mine brand new for under $275 shipped. They don't advertise, but its a sweet deal and cheaper than people sell them used in the Fleamarket. I gave it 30 days and sent it back because I preferred the comfort of my OEM GSA seat even throw I couldn't flatfoot on it. When Sargent came out with their new offroad oriented GS seat thought I'd give them another try and have been happy with it since. I think I've put about 5000 miles on it. The first one I never gave it enough time I think. I like the cover on this one, too because its more durable, easy to grip with your knees while standing and I also got it for under $300 because they just started selling them and had a special. I can. Now ride gas station to gas station without stopping in between (300+ miles).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post19708198

Hikertrash screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:13 PM
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Retics OP
n00b

Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking the Corbin at first but after reading more reviews today the Sargent looks pretty good, I think the stock seat is pretty good but I am not quite flat footed and left me scrambling to not drop the bike once with the girlfriend squirming on the back,, half her fault I'm sure lol.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...3-19-HFRK.html

Though I probably don't need the heated version .
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking the Corbin at first but after reading more reviews today the Sargent looks pretty good, I think the stock seat is pretty good but I am not quite flat footed and left me scrambling to not drop the bike once with the girlfriend squirming on the back,, half her fault I'm sure lol.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...3-19-HFRK.html

Though I probably don't need the heated version .
I had the Corbin on the R100GS, didn't like it, so went back to the oem stock seat. I put a Sargent on the KLR, rode all day, every day, for a week, exploring dirt roads and trails on Gaspe and in northern NB, love it!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Is there much difference in the comfort and height between the standard and low version of the Sargent seat? I'm tall in the body and would love to get an 1" lower in the saddle without sacrificing much. The stock seat is a tad too tall for my liking....
I'm about to put in an order on a Sargent to catch the sale so need to know soon....

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
Is there much difference in the comfort and height between the standard and low version of the Sargent seat? I'm tall in the body and would love to get an 1" lower in the saddle without sacrificing much. The stock seat is a tad too tall for my liking....
I'm about to put in an order on a Sargent to catch the sale so need to know soon....
Compared to the GSA seat, yes, there's a noticeable difference in height. Im 5'10" with a 31" inseam and with ESA set to one rider, no luggage I can almost flat foot. I think it compares to the standard GS seat. If I adjust my ESA to one with luggage, I'm at the same height as I was with one w/o luggage on my stock GSA seat. I never tried the Sargent Low seat because my experience with low seats has been cramped knees that got sore much sooner than my butt did. Personally, I'd get the standard height for the extra padding and if its too tall, you can ship it back for a replacement within 30 days.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote