ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
South Central Nevada Snow & Road Conditions

Four of us are going to begin exploring the dirt roads and mining towns of South Central Nevada and the Toiyabe National Forest. We are planning to ride Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Four days would be better because we could then make it all the way to Austin, NV but that will have to wait for another trip.

Any information and feedback from those of you who have already ridden there is appreciated because some of the mountain passes are over 10,000 feet.

I am planning this trip with the Nevada Road & Recreation Atlas by Benchmark Maps, 2012 Third Edition, Revised. This was recommended by another inmate and it is by far the best Atlas I have ever bought. All roads and attractions referenced will be from this Atlas.

I am also using Garmin Mapsource software and will be using a Garmin Zumo. I like mapsource because I can switch to Google Earth in the view tab and see if my route is taking me where I want to go. I am also using Google Earth and street view to find what I am looking for. Finding gas stations is the biggest challenge so if you know where the gas stations are in South Central Nevada, please let me know.

Day One:
We plan to ride from Big Pine, California to Silver Peak, NV and spend the first night in Tonopah. We plan to get gas in Dyer. I hope they are not the kind of place that runs out.

Day two:
We ride east on highway 6 to the Saulsbury Rest Area and then head north into the Toiyabe National Forest on road 056 and explore the historic mining towns of Belmont and Manhattan on our way to the town of Carvers on highway 376 where we hope to find gas.

Need to know if Carvers or Hadley actually have gas!!!!!!!

Then we ride north to Ophir City Mining remains and head west over the pass which takes us up to 10,000 ft. Is it passable this time of year on road 017???? Anyone been there lately?

Then ride S/W on 21 to Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park. Then work our way back to Tonopah for the night.

Day three we ride back to Big Pine via Silver Peak and head home.

Here is the area I hope to explore but know it will take many trips to even get a glimpse of this 150 mile X 80 mile area. Should be fun.

Belmont, Nevada

2on2off screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 07:44 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Gas in Dyer, Nevada

There is suppose to be gas at the Esmeralda Market in Dyer, NV.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Gas shouldn't be a problem in Dyer, been through there a dozen times and they always have fuel. Not many travelers go through there, just the local Fishlake Valley residents.

I do know that mud can be an issue in the Toiyabe NF this time of year, slick snot type of stuff, same north of 50 in the Eureka area. Silt in the summer equals mud in the winter. Just keep your eyes peeled in shaded areas and you'll be fine.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
When do you expect to be out there?

I plan to be poking around the southern part of your area 3/24~3/28 before heading to the Noob Rally at PSR.
I'm sure I will pass through Goldfield and Dyer at some point, maybe as far north as Tonopah
Weather is looking great

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Ride Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
When do you expect to be out there?

I plan to be poking around the southern part of your area 3/24~3/28 before heading to the Noob Rally at PSR.
I'm sure I will pass through Goldfield and Dyer at some point, maybe as far north as Tonopah
Weather is looking great

-M
We will be there this weekend the 22-25th. Friday night in Big Pine. Riding from Big Pine Saturday morning to Death Valley Road then north to Dyer. Then Silver Peak, Paymaster Canyon Rd to Tonapah.

Sunday a loop north of Tonapah to Manhattan, Belmont, Ophir and Ione ghost and mining towns and then back to Tonapah.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Gas shouldn't be a problem in Dyer, been through there a dozen times and they always have fuel. Not many travelers go through there, just the local Fishlake Valley residents.

I do know that mud can be an issue in the Toiyabe NF this time of year, slick snot type of stuff, same north of 50 in the Eureka area. Silt in the summer equals mud in the winter. Just keep your eyes peeled in shaded areas and you'll be fine.
I wonder if they make mud flaps from my KTM?

Thanks for the heads up. Those shady corners on the north slope can catch you off guard. We will keep an eye out.

I'm hoping it will be dry because it has been a dry winter.

On summer street rides in this area, I have seen lots of riders on dirt bikes coming out of these hills in the Toiyabe NF.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Exploring Nevada Web Site

Found a very good website with information about the part of Nevada I will be exploring this weekend. Here it is:

http://www.exploringnevada.com/scenic-drives/index.php
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I stopped for gas in Dyer once. While I pumped fuel into my V Strom and then had an ice cream, one car stopped for fuel. Then an ATV pulled in and filled up. Then a guy pedaled in on a bicycle ... he was riding across the country. While we were chatting, a teenage girl rode up on a horse to buy something at the store. Motorcycle, car, ATV, bike, horse ... in 5 minutes. I'll never forget that, nor the stunningly beautiful valley it's in.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Did a short shake down ride this evening in Big Pine up to 7,800 ft. All three KTM's ran great. This was Richard's first time riding his "new to him" 450EXC.

I also recently installed a new ignition map on my bike as well and it ran great.

We will get gas and breakfast in Dyer, NV tomorrow morning.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,451
Hey, I hope you have fun and post something up on your return.

I just talked to the FS lady in Austin on Monday and she was very pessimistic about conditions and that there was more snow there than in the Sierras??
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
QED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
108 just opened

Hi 108 has been closed the past few due to recent storm. Opened this morning at 9;30.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hey, I hope you have fun and post something up on your return.

I just talked to the FS lady in Austin on Monday and she was very pessimistic about conditions and that there was more snow there than in the Sierras??
Thanks for the update. If all goes as planned, we will be in Austin for lunch on Sunday.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 710
Where is that Ho Tub / Spring in the pic?
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Where is that Ho Tub / Spring in the pic?

Fishlake Valley, north of Dyer.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,451
Well how was the rest of the ride?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote