Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Oddometer: 22
Around the US, 9,000 mile journey

Hello everyone:

This is my first post so it might as well be an introduction ( didnt see an introduction forum section).

I'm Joel. I travel about 60 to 70 miles a day on my scooter, and somedays about 100. I go on weekend trips all the time. I ride to scooter rallies all over the East coast. I've been riding scooters for 4 years, and accumulated well over 100,000 miles in that time.

I currently own a Piaggio Fly 150. It now has over 21,000 miles and I bought it last April. not even 1 year ago.

Last year, I took a crazy ride ( on the highway) from Orlando FL, to Lake Geneva Wisconsin for an event Called "Amerivespa" . It is the biggest scooter convention/rally in the US. over 4 days long. I rode up there trough the highway system, 1300 miles, took me 2.5 days. In that time I saw more of this country I had ever seen in my life and been the furthest away from home I've ever been. Many many stories came from that trip, along with a severe injury after i crashed into an SUV at 55mph, fractured my wrist and 6 fractures in my ankle. But overall great.

This year I will be going around the US. Originally was going to the upper most east corner of Canada, then shorted it to Maine before going to PA, just north of Philly. the reason is I have a job.

The trip will go from Orlando, trough Atlanta, then trough the tail of the dragon, up the Blue Ridge parkway, then Skyline Drive, down to Washington DC, then up to PA.

After PA I haven't figured out which is the best way to go to Wisconsin. Headed to Lake Geneva.

From Lake Geneva, going west trough Route 14, along the Mississippi, to Minnesota, then west.

Have not figured out the best most scenic way from Minnesota to Seattle. I know I want to go to Glacier Mountain and Road to the Sun.

Then down from Seattle, trough the Continental Divide, trough the Volcanic Scenic Byway, down trough Oregon, to California. Possibly taking a Detour to San Francisco, then heading south to LA, then to San Diego where the event is.

From there, to the Sequoia forest, and Yosemite Park. then trough Las Vegas, Hoover dam, then to Utah, see some wild canyons, then east trough the great plains, then back home from there.

Any Route Suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I'm also building a trailer, completely road equipped, and over designed and overbuilt, yet lightweight and versatile. I keep a blog with information, pictures and updates. You can check it out at:

www.ScooteristBlog.com

Also if you like my page on facebook then whenever there is a blog article you will see it + pictures.

www.Facebook.com/TheScooteristBlog

JoelScootDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Joel! when you come to San Diego if you have a passport go further south just to make it a 3 flag ride! why not? I will buy you tacos and beer on this side! and will even make sure you get back safely!

Cheers!! I will be reading!!

Damasovi
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,704
Outstanding!

This is gunna be fun to watch unfold.

Be sure to post up here on ADV.

Good luck on this undertaking.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I love it when people tour on scooters. It's so far outside the way we think here about motorcycles that it discombobulates the "normal" bikers and scares the horses.

I'm heading north again this summer, but this is about you, not me. Congratulations on the undertaking. Have the time of your life and post up here sometimes to let us know how it's going....

gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
FWIW: If you stray off course by 90 miles for some reason I live in Oakland, 10 miles from SF. If you're interested I have nice little secluded/private off street garden-lawn to camp on and you can use the house for food and showers for a day or two.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Damn dude you ride your scoot more then me! When you get to the SouthBayArea look me up.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
"1) Yes rode it in the highway all the way there and back. No more. ride it every day on the highway here locally, no probs, just dangerous. All you need is more than 5hp and able to maintain 40mph to be on highway legally!!!"

In CA there is a 150cc minimum size limit, and I believe there is in AZ as well, though I'm still looking for it in writing. My Zuma 125 makes about 11 hp I believe, and will maintain 50 mph on a level road, but drops way down on hills.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,795
I'm looking forward to following your trip.

I do have one recommendation. Do your trip report in the Ride Reports section of Adventure Rider. I am on several forums and have looked at numerous blogs. I have yet to find anything that remotely compares to the ADV ride reports. For a trip like yours, getting a few hundred thousand hits on a ride report, if you do a good job, is not out of the question.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I'm following along on facebook.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
When you get to Seattle you can expect a good time. There's a big group of very active, friendly, welcoming scooter riders of all types here.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
fgallucc
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Midwest Suggestions...

Dude,
Too cool! Wish I had the time to join you for part of the ride. I'm in Northeast Indiana, so look me up when you come through these parts. Here's my suggestions:
1. I would head up through Michigan (preferably along the West coast which is beautiful and has some very unique towns and great beaches), over the Mackinac bridge (stops in Traverse City and Mackinaw City), and through the U.P. (Sault Ste. Marie is a neat stop, as is Tahquamenon Falls...and maybe Escanaba in da' Moonlight - a movie with Jeff Bridges). Skirting along the Southern coast of the U.P. is also scenic.

2. If Chicago is really on the agenda for you (lots to see and do in Chicago, but ain't nothin' cheap), Rockford Illinois has one of the largest and really well done Japanese Gardens in the Americas - well worth the stop.

3. Riding through Southern Ohio and Southern Indiana is ALOT more scenic than cutting across the Northern parts of the states. There are a lot of beautiful roads in Southern Indiana around Nashville / Bloomington (and one of my favorite places to eat is at the Story Inn in Story, Indiana).

Ride safe, keep us posted as you start nailing downs dates, and post on the way!
Frank
fgallucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Ok everyone i'm leaving today wish me luck and follow me on my website

www.scooteristblog.com

www.Facebook.com/thescooteristblog

I might post things here but I'll be on the road and my time to be online will be few and far in between. thanks to everyone this website has helped me a lot!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Good Luck Joel!! Will be keeping an eye on your ride.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Joel:

I see you're planning to go through/near New York City. Might I suggest you go about three hundred miles north, spend a couple days in the Adirondacks?

They're picturebook lovely; rolling hills; log-cabin resort facilities; lakes clean enough to drink out of, straight. Bracing pine-scented air. If your scoot can do legal 55 mph, I'd make the trip...even in summer.

The state highways will be busy in high summer; but there are secondary roads, and some of them are experiences in their own right.

No, I don't live up there and can't help you...but I used to spend my summers in the region when I was a kid.

Good luck.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

I made it 400 miles or so from orlando to dublin G, tomorrow into the appalachians. my ass hurts so bad.

Thank god for that throtle copper wire speed control.

thank god for reflective tape.

Oh last minute I changed my route a few days ago. from 3 mile island/ harrisburg i'm going up to niagara fall, across that bit of canada into michigan where itake the ferry in muskegon, into mineapolis, and so on it continues.

if anyone wants me to couchsurf anywhere along the route let me know i'll check this. thanks to everyone