Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
xy500 OP
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Question WR250R or TE511? or something else?

I'll work it out, thanks

xy500 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 04:31 AM
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
You had a WRr

I have a WRr, the bike is unreal good for a 250 and often scoffed at by others because it is a 250. I use mine to commute (40 miles one way) and ride off road. For my use and being able to have only one bike, it is the best possible bike for me.

I have no experience with a Husky, I do hold them as well as KTM in high regard when it comes to performance. However I am still not convinced of the overall reliability, others will say otherwise.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,608
same boat here. had a wr250r for 3 years, and did an offroad trip where i wanted better suspension and more torques.

i ended up getting a 450exc RFS ktm. you shouldn't rule one of those out, they're very durable for what they are. and WAY more fun than the wr (don't flame, i loved mine, i just wanted MORE, and i'm not racking up huge miles or anything)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
same boat here. had a wr250r for 3 years, and did an offroad trip where i wanted better suspension and more torques.

i ended up getting a 450exc RFS ktm. you shouldn't rule one of those out, they're very durable for what they are. and WAY more fun than the wr (don't flame, i loved mine, i just wanted MORE, and i'm not racking up huge miles or anything)
Same here- went from a WRR to a 525; no regrets at all. BUT, that's not to say the WRR is not an excellent bike. Really, the better choice would totally depend on riding style. For general exploring duties, commuting, and general plunking around, the little Yamaha is hard to beat. IF you are an aggresive rider, the higher performance bike is just so much more rewarding.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Jim patton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
511te

I have a 511TE 2012 model. These are race motors that can connect the
trail. I don't think it would have the longevity running the road you would
seek, and they require maintenance that all motocross, enduro bikes need...
Mine is reasonably smooth at 50/55mph, and with the recommended modifications, makes great power, and is a wonderful big bore for harescrambles
And enduros/real dualsport rides. I think a WR450 would be worse and not
as competitive, the WR250R would not require as much fooling with, but
Off road the TE kills it dead. It is right for me, to commute, I have a KLR650,
And and old 1200S Bandit. The TE511 is not a commuter bike, it's a racing
Bike.
Jim patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
xy500 OP
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim patton View Post
I think a WR450 would be worse and not
as competitive,.

ever ridden one?
I don't think you really know what they're like at all.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
511 review:

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/04/05/...-te511-review/

Sounds like the bike for you would be EXC350/500, but you said they're too expensive.

500 review:

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/02/15/...500exc-review/

Maybe a used 525?

http://www.enduro360.com/2010/06/29/...iaries-part-1/

Or build-up a DR-Z E model (if street-legal there) with suspension?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,096
Or a 530. The Husky will not have the gear spread I'd prefer as an all arounder.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 983
^ +1
I wouldn't want a narrow gearbox if I had to ride pavement to the trails. (Personally, I don't like a narrow gearbox when I'm in the trails, either.) That would rule out the Husky.
If you think a KTM/'berg is too expensive to maintain, why are you looking at a race bike with lights that only holds a quart of oil?

I think you've got a lot more options than you realize... if you are looking for new, try and find a leftover that meets your budget. Don't rule out shipping a bike if you find one far away.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
xy500 OP
Loser

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
^ +1
If you think a KTM/'berg is too expensive to maintain, why are you looking at a race bike with lights that only holds a quart of oil?
Some of you may have misread my post.
I'm not looking for a race bike with a plate - something like that would make a great second bike. The te511 husky to me is not a race bike, whilst it could be used as one, it is certainly not it's design intent. A race husky in my mind would be a TC310R or WR300.
I have legitimately researched KTM's, they are far more expensive new and secondhand than equivalents here (e.g. wr450f etc.). Secondhand condition of available ktms are questionable. Also cost for parts in Australia for them are very high. Even husky parts are relatively cheaper, and i would expect the BMW motor would need far less in hard parts than a katoom. They're a rich mans bike here, and i just can't see the justification to pay more for what they offer. So whilst it's great if they suit you, i have checked them out for myself, and for my circumstances they do not suit.

IF i did have that sort of cash i would get two bikes, but neither would be a ktm. maybe a YZ250?

Buying a bike from another state unseen is just asking to throw money away, i don't know how trustworthy americans are, but you can't trust an aussie to advertise something honestly.

Changing oil is not expensive, or difficult. to me its a complete non factor when differentiating between models. No matter what bike i have i always change the oil very often for peace of mind.

Quote:
IF you are an aggresive rider, the higher performance bike is just so much more rewarding.
Maybe if you were looking at this scenario as if all bikes cost the same to buy and maintain. But this is not the case. I can and do ride aggressively, i love riding high performance bikes. But you can't ride all hipo bikes to and from trails. And i'm sorry but from my personal experience with ktm i would not say they are nearly as durable as the equivalents available here. I wouldn't expect a 525 to last more than one season of my use without a rebuild.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500 View Post
Some of you may have misread my post.
I'm not looking for a race bike with a plate - something like that would make a great second bike. The te511 husky to me is not a race bike, whilst it could be used as one, it is certainly not it's design intent. A race husky in my mind would be a TC310R or WR300.
I have legitimately researched KTM's, they are far more expensive new and secondhand than equivalents here (e.g. wr450f etc.). Secondhand condition of available ktms are questionable. Also cost for parts in Australia for them are very high. Even husky parts are relatively cheaper, and i would expect the BMW motor would need far less in hard parts than a katoom. They're a rich mans bike here, and i just can't see the justification to pay more for what they offer. So whilst it's great if they suit you, i have checked them out for myself, and for my circumstances they do not suit.

IF i did have that sort of cash i would get two bikes, but neither would be a ktm. maybe a YZ250?

Buying a bike from another state unseen is just asking to throw money away, i don't know how trustworthy americans are, but you can't trust an aussie to advertise something honestly.

Changing oil is not expensive, or difficult. to me its a complete non factor when differentiating between models. No matter what bike i have i always change the oil very often for peace of mind.

Maybe if you were looking at this scenario as if all bikes cost the same to buy and maintain. But this is not the case. I can and do ride aggressively, i love riding high performance bikes. But you can't ride all hipo bikes to and from trails. And i'm sorry but from my personal experience with ktm i would not say they are nearly as durable as the equivalents available here. I wouldn't expect a 525 to last more than one season of my use without a rebuild.

You need to work on your research skills.

Going by what you have posted here, stick with the WR, or look at a DR650.

I don't think you should be moving to an open class enduro just yet.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
The TE511 is significantly better offroad (no comparison).

The WRR is significantly better on-road (no comparison).

So, I guess you're in a real pickle (as we say in the States).

Above 45 mph, the Husky vibrates like a paint shaker on the Tarmac, compared to the Yammie that is smooth as glass.

On the rough trail, the Husky is cat-like nimble with the traction of a bulldozer, compared to the Yammie that feels more sluggish & slower reacting. The WRR is definitely more work in the woods comparatively.....no contest.

In contrast, my (70 degree motor) Husaberg FE390 has all the desirable woods traits, while still running the slab quite smoothly without much vibration.....though I wouldn't want to ride it 200 miles round trip to & from the trail system.

Happy Hunting!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,096
The biggest problem riding a KTM/Burg long distances is tires IMO. I'll ride my 530 or 570 200 miles a day on the street no problem, but on sumoto wheels/tires. That knocks off almost all vibrations. I hate to waste a knobby too.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 468
610 not a 630 or 650.

They start to jump up In weight.

Ive done 20, 000 miles of a mix between commuting and intense single trail.

Brilliant bikes.

Heres a taste of how it goes in the tight stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvBN323DBRQ

And on the not so tight stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6h21WBvIc

Carby version October 05 onwards are the best.

Stu

icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Two things to think about here, first the WR250R will have a
much better resale then the Husqvarna and second where will Husqvarna go now that BMW has sold the company to KTM.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote