User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
collettemary OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Talking Camping on Kenai

The first place we are going when my husband meets me in Seward June 14th is to the Kenai Pennisula. We are riding a Yamaha Royal Star and pulling a Roadman pop up type camper. It looks like there are plenty of spots for RVs but what about for tenting? We hpe to do some river fisheing when we are down there. Any suggestions????? We are open to most anything. Showers would be nice but .....
collettemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
My parents were Campground Host at The Russian River Campground on the Kenai Peninsula in the mid 80s and it is a very nice place to tent camp. Also, it is at the confluence of the Russian and Kenai Rivers, thus has great fishing. Also has a lot of Bears.

Was there 5 years ago on a ride to Alaska and it has been up-graded. Very nice facilites.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
THogland
Back in Alaska!

Oddometer: 51
Best way to find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by collettemary View Post
The first place we are going when my husband meets me in Seward June 14th is to the Kenai Pennisula. We are riding a Yamaha Royal Star and pulling a Roadman pop up type camper. It looks like there are plenty of spots for RVs but what about for tenting? We hpe to do some river fisheing when we are down there. Any suggestions????? We are open to most anything. Showers would be nice but .....
Buy a Milepost. http://www.milepost.com/ It shows *all* of this kind of info, in excruciating detail - camping info, fishing locations, etc. Even has some motorcycle-specific info... A bunch is available free on the website, but there's a ton more in the actual book.

A lot of us that live up here own these as references...
THogland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
TonyTooTall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
There is a state park where the kenai meets the moose in Sterling, I worked at the fishing lodge on the private side and its a great fishing hole. Its close to Soldotna, where all the supermarket and sporting goods stores are.
TonyTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
There is a very nice city campground in Seward. It is right on the water. There are sections for RV's and sections for tents. The tent section at the far end is terrific and there are a few sites that are pretty much right on the water, only a bike path between you and the water. Walking distance to the restaurants and shops. They have nice coin op showers. Cost about $10 a night. Down on the Homer Spit is a nice campground. It is near the end of the road, past the Salty Dawg, on the right hand side. They have nice showers and laundry facilities. You can get a site next to the beach, and they let you pitch your tent on the beach. I ended up staying there for three nights. Have fun.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Many folks recommend the Mile Post. I bought one and brought it with me. I ended up giving it away. Too much information and lots of mis leading information. Most of the reviews are actually written by the advertisers themselves. I met a crew from Milepost in Glitter Junction, by Denali. They were very nice and listened to my concerns. They basically drive around selling ads. I got all the information I needed from the new Adventurous motorcyclists Guide to Alaska. Even though this book was thin on information compared to the Milepost, it was adequate. You can pretty much get to a place and go word of mouth. I camped half of the time in campgrounds and half of the time I found a neat spot and just camped.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
collettemary OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb

Thanks everyone! We got a Milepost but I find it very confusing. We were hoping to fish the Russian river. They all sound great Thanks again!
collettemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Bruincounselor
North Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 376
I used to live in Anchor Point (10 years ago now). I camped on the the mouth of the Anchor river for several weeks before I could close on my house. It was remarkable and heavenly - the fish weren't running.

On many of the area rivers quiet camping and fishing do not go together. If you looking for a quiet experience most areas are pretty good as long as the fish aren't legal. Once they are legal you will have every Tom, Dick, and Harry walking through to get to the place they can share "the" spot they need to fish.

My advice: Fish at a different place than you camp if you want any kind of privacy. If you want a party - get there early and lock everything that isn't bolted down.

The regulations are constantly in flux - this is how to best manage the fishery. Pay attention and you won't have any problems - fishing shops are great resources and there's plenty of them.

The peninsula has lots of places to camp and short of July 4th there is usually space (when the fish aren't legal). The closer to Homer the fewer weekenders from Anchorage too. There's always room on the spit in Homer. Have a beer in the Salty Dog while you are there.

Just my $ .02