User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Oddometer: 73
Dallas, TX to Key West

This is first ride report. It's not epic and it won't include pictures at first because I forgot my camera and will be using my iPhone for pictures. I know everyone has to start somewhere, so this is it, the beginning. This will be more a journal than a report. I will try to write something at the end of each day I ride. Oh, I go by Razzeaux here, but some have already called me Razz.

To begin, a little about me. I'm 50 and have been riding a year. I started with a r1200gs, then strayed for a little with a Triumph, now I'm back to a GSA. Last May, I took a 2,000 mile trip and mixed camping with staying with family and friends. This is my next trip and my first trip on my GSA

Why Key West? It's a place I always wanted to go.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 1

Well, I've started this Ride Report thread, so here it goes.

I woke up and checked the weather. Rain was in the forecast. I've never ridden in the rain before. The destination for my first day was Pensacola, FL., 700 miles away. From Dallas, there are 2 ways to get there, I-20 and I-10. The rain looked like it would avoid I-10, so the 1-10 route it was.

It took me a little bit to get going. I'm a little anxious, don't know why. I hoped to leave at 7 am but I didn't get going until 9 am. So doing the math, I knew I was going to be riding in the night. I've never ridden in the dark before. So I load up and off I go.

I have a Zumo 665 and with XM radio. For helmet speakers, I got some cheap speakers that could plug into Zumo harness. Short story on this, not loud enough and my installation hurt my hears. So they only lasted about 1/2 the trip.

First 170 miles, non-eventful on slab. Next part, south 220 miles through Louisiana on the slab. I was getting bored pretty quickly and had to get off the bike every hour. I've not yet built up the endurance to run 2-4 hours on the bike without stopping. I wonder what the secret is.

It's been a little cool so far, in the 60's. I'm wearing my Rallye 3 with a light down best and a wool base layer. This has kept me comfortable.

Get to I-10 and start heading East. It's been overcast most of day so no rain. This is also the first trip on the Corbin seat I have. My pants are sliding a bit on my seat. Oh, have i said this is my first trip with my Truimph pants. As it warms up, the down vest is gone and the vents are opened up on the jacket.

i keep riding and the darkness approaches. I keep riding. I stop for gas and see a another GS at the store. While I'm pumping my gas, he leaves. I tried to get his attention but didn't .

Just before I left on this trip, I added Adventure design crash bar extensions and Illum highway foot pegs. The crash bar extensions where an adventure in themselves to put on. I'm still undecided about the highway foot pegs.

Well, it's dark, My first time to ride at night. So far so good. I get 120 miles from P"Cola and time for dinner. Stop at a fast food place, grab a burger and I'm really not ready to get back on the bike, but I can do 120 miles. Starts to cool down a little, so back on with the vest.

Get to my destination at 10 pm. Started riding at 9 am. Overall, a a good day. Riding in the dark, not so bad.

Razz
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 2

Rain is still in the forecast for all day. I've still not ridden in the rain yet. I have breakfast with the family, By the way, I have a great family and feel fortunate to have them. FYI…. this is my mother's family. I met my father for the first time 3 years ago. Need to run some errands for some stuff. Get the stuff, still raining. As I begin to pack up, I hear it raining harder. Check the radar. it's raining all along my route. So, I decide to spend another day here and go eat some seafood.

This decision was viewed differently. Some felt choosing to not ride in was smart. it was raining pretty hard. My friend who rides a GSA and got me into this feels missed out on an opportunity to grow and push my self. So, riding has now become part of my is a personal journey. Hell, writing the report is something new for me. I've learned a lot from other RR's and have met some good people here.

One of the errands for today was earphones for the tunes. I'll report on them tomorrow.

So, this is it for now. Tomorrow, Pensacola to Orlando.

Razz
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Good Start

Hey Razz

You're off to a good start. I passed through Pensacola in October on my way to Argentina. I love riding the Gulf Coast. I avoided the Interstates

Ride safe.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Cool2 Green Parrot

Razz

I love Key West

When you get there, be sure to check out the Green Parrot Bar. It's at 601 Whitehead Street. One of my favorite places. They sometimes have "soundchecks" at 5:30PM usually Fridays and Sundays. It's a great chance to hear some really good bands. The soundchecks last for about an hour and a half and are a chance for that night's band to show off some of their best stuff. Usually soundchecks are packed, go early to get a good seat.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
vaish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
where is the i phone photos
vaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 950
Miami

ADV here in Miami. If you need anything on the way through look me up.

DO NOT HIT MIAMI BETWEEN 8 AND 10 AM OR 4 AND 630 PM.

PS; I was born and raised in Texas and lived in Grapevine for 2 years.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C Buckl View Post

yep.....just what I told him. His current plan is gonna run him to Gulf Coast side and come across Tamaimi Trail and then cut down 997/Krome to my house in the Redlands on Monday evening. Might catch a little back up on Krome but should be mostly ok.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 950
FLARider1

[QUOTE=FLARider1;21021548]yep.....just what I told him.

Truth be known FLARider1.... I am only trying to help because I assume that picture is what she actually looks like.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
[QUOTE=Patrick C Buckl;21021954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
yep.....just what I told him.

Truth be known FLARider1.... I am only trying to help because I assume that picture is what she actually looks like.

sorry to burst your vision.............but its just an AVATAR........unless Mike has a secret that is not detectable by voice!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Do love the avatar.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 3

This morning I woke up and saw a wall of storms between myself and Orlando on the weather radar. I knew today would be my first ride in the rain. So, off I go 220 miles of slab. This GSA really likes to go 85. Soon I head south on a state highway and see myself riding through nice flat countryside.

My destination for today is my cousin's home in Orlando. I've not seen him or his family in awhile. So, it is the journey or the destination? Today, it's the destination so I'm off to find I-75 south.

When I get to 75 I notice a text from my cousin saying the weather is crazy bad in orlando. I have about 100 miles to go. When I get on I-75 south, the wind is blowing hard from the east. I've never ridden in wind this strong before where I have to lean into the wind just to stay on the road. I know I'll get a lot more of this when I head west from Dallas, so I see this as practice and somehow I avoided the rain today.

A couple of side notes. First, the Kaoko throttle lock is working perfectly for me. If you've followed any of my thread, you'll see couple weeks ago I was trying to decide between the Kaoko and the Throttlemeister. I decided to go with the Kaoko and I'm glad I did.

Tomorrow night I get my first experience with the hospitality of ADVriders. When I was getting ready for this trip, I posted several questions. FLArider1, sent me a message offerring any information I might need for this trip since he lives right on the way. I can't tell you how cool this is site is to have people like this on it. As a I grow as a rider and a member of this site, I hope to give back like many others have for me.

One more thing. Since I've been getting some comments about my avatar. Of course, it's not me. But I do photography on the side and at one of my shoots I had a model put on some LSU gear and decided it would make a great avatar for this site.

It's been a great visit with my cousin and his family. Tomorrows it's off to the Everglades and Homestead FL.

Razz
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
In, be safe, take side roads. Post some pictures.

Good luck.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C Buckl View Post

Patrick, thanks for the offer. If I need anything I'll let you know.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
In, be safe, take side roads. Post some pictures.

Good luck.
I took side roads today, it was good to see something different. I'm working on the pictures.