User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
jeff the chef OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Australians touring North America

My Yamaha Super Teneree and my wife and I will be arriving in Portland on July 3rd. to start an 11 week tour of Alaska, Canada and the U.S. We are planning to ride to Fairbanks via the Cassiar Hwy. then to Anchorage and on to Fairbanks. A few days rest and then on to Top of World Highway and Campbell Hwy. Then across North Central Canada around great lakes to Sault ste Marie and down into Wisconsin to visit family. After 10 day break that will leave us three weeks, we are then hoping to ride to New Orleans and back to Portland by Sept16th through northern New Mexico and Utah. We have estimated about 22,000km. We are expecting to a fair bit of riding on unsealed roads mostly in the north and are hoping to avoid major free ways if possible.

Hoping for some advise, I know this does sound ambitious but we have done a few long trips two up but not this long. We are expecting rain so we will be carrying wet weather gear but are not planning on any heated vests etc. but will bring warm cloth for layering.

We will be carrying camping gear for when motels are not available and too expensive. The bike is fitted out with aluminium panniers and top case and Givi 480 tank bag.

We would appreciate any feedback and hoping to meet some of you on our trip.
jeff the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
Sounds like a fun trip! As for what to bring: less=more. certainly 2-up with camping gear. You can always buy extra clothing along the way if needed. Heated gear allows for more comfort in a greater temp range. Even though you're traveling in summer here, the north can throw some nasty surprises. Don't forget Deet, you'll need it!
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Bring the heated gear and leave the bulky clothing behind. The temp will vary by at least 50-60 degress F. during a day. You might wake up to 20 degree F weather and it will get up to 80-90 F degrees during the day. The heated gear will keep you warm and doesn't take a lot of space.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 320
Yes, you are almost guaranteed rain....often times it's cold rain.

You will have fun and will see some of the best scenery the planet has to offer.

If your route passes through Calgary, Alberta you are welcome to stay as my guests.

If interested just PM me.

Cheers

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTracker View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! As for what to bring: less=more. certainly 2-up with camping gear. You can always buy extra clothing along the way if needed. Heated gear allows for more comfort in a greater temp range. Even though you're traveling in summer here, the north can throw some nasty surprises. Don't forget Deet, you'll need it!
I've been up in the area around Lake Superior in August and had over 100 degrees (38C) at the beginning of the week (Monday) and 40 degrees (5C) at the end of the same week (Friday) - with hail and rain on Wednesday!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
As for clothes have as many easy washout clothes as possible & few changes. Easier to buy more than waste space,etc.. Lodging-your "too expensive limit" may be realistic, maybe not? Some of the neatest places have very little to offer or it's pricey, espc. if you make a point to visit the national parks as mentioned above-must sees IMO! Pricing varies greatly too, esp if you don't reserve in advance online & cheaper & on certain days costs more, fills up,etc.. If you post your actual route you'll get even more ideas. The 100 deg comment was the norm last summer in lower 48-it was reason enough/hot enough for many to not even ride at times. I'd try for as much Rocky Mtn time during the hottest month as possible. Rain comes at any time for your dates but mostly thunderstorms in the summer. With the right gear it matters not for riding but makes for crappy camping after a long ride. Hopefully you'll stop & partake of the real places your going which means willing to stop, shut down & walk to where the best places are found. Slab or rural 2 lanes, it doesn't matter-you must walk to see the many of the best spots.Take that time or you'll never know whats been missed. Enjoy.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
When ya' hit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, give me a shout!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
just stay of the Interstate roads as much as possible.
there is a ton to see between those 2 areas.
the national parks are spectacular in the US as are many of the western roads.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff the chef View Post
Then across North Central Canada around great lakes to Sault ste Marie

We would appreciate any feedback and hoping to meet some of you on our trip.
i would ride the Cassier both directions rather than continuing on the Alcan from Watson Lake, avoiding all the energy sector work from the mountains east all the way across Alberta. do not expect to find reasonable motel accommodations without some effort in that area. coming south from Alaska, ride down through Glacier into Montana rather than transit Canada from Alberta east. everything is less expensive in the States, plenty to see, higher speed limits, etc. you can still ride through Minnesota and pick up a route via Thunder Bay to the Soo on the north side of the lakes, then loop back through the UP via St. Ignace and into Wisconsin.

i met two pairs of Aussies the last time i was west, all said the riding was the best ever. two had purchased bikes in the states, the other two had shipped through Portland.

PM for additional detail if interested.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Northern route from Edmonton to Winnipeg

If you are planning a northern route through Canada / Edmonton-Saskatoon-Winnipeg shoot me a line and I can help you with routing to avoid the heavy truck traffic and put you on the secondary tarmac. You are welcome to stopover on our ranch on your way through.
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
jeff the chef OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Australians tour

I posted a few details awhile ago on our up coming trip to America. The time is getting closer, last week I rode our Super Tenere from Adelaide to Sydney (1400 km 14 hours) to load the bike onto the shipping container. It is due to arrive in Portland on July 5th, we will then fit all the new gear I have ordered on the bike and take off on the 8th. As our original post said we are planning to ride to Fairbanks via Hyder and Haines. Then a few days doing riding around the area and then TOW highway, Campbell Highway and northern Canada on our way to Wisconsin. Our route back hopefully will take us south to New Orleans (our favourite city) and back west with the intentions of riding Bear Tooth Highway, Going to the Sun Road and Lolo Motorway.
Hope to see some other ADV riders on the road during our 11 weeks in America.
As usual we would appreciate any advise and feedback.
Jeffrey & Helen
jeff the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
I live at the intersection of Hwy 12 & 3. You are welcome to stay and have a BBQ when you come through. Do you have any idea when you will be going over the Lolo Motorway?
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hi Jeffrey & Helen

Welcome to North America. I hope you found everything in order when you picked up your bike from the shipyard. Shoot me a line and I can give you some routing info from Meadow Lake to Minnesota. Any idea of an approx. date that you will be passing through Manitoba? The offer of lodging is still open or a coffee stop for sure. Whatever fits your schedule.
I just rode a SuperT at the Yamaha demo day on wednesday and was quite impressed. It should be a very capable 2up tourer.

Bye for now
Bill
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote