User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Beema Killa OP
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 692
Mefo Super Explorer

Well, I am finally ready to replace my Mefo and if any of you know my luck with the 908 and its severe lack of longevity (less than 1000k). I am pleased to say the 150 rear is gonna roll over 6000k with the same riding almost exactly as the 908 saw. I have to throw on my last new 908/Karoo combo for the wet spring, but another Mefo will be the summer tire of choice again for sure! The Heidi front has been a great compliment to the Mefo rear too. Not good in mud, but can really scrub speed fast on loose gravel, and its great on Tarmac too.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,017
Yup, I have been real happy with my Mefo set (Front is mounted backwards but works so good I dont want to mess with it.) Absolutely love em.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
SlowJoefromBako
Aint livin long like

Oddometer: 41
I rode la barstow vegas last year on the 990 with a mefo rear. I was going to change it out to a 908 before, but i couldnt wear it out. So i went with a mefo with just over 3000miles on it. Worked great rock gravel sand. When i finaly wore it out and changed to the 908 i got 1500 miles out of it and didnt think the traction was that much better then the half wore out mefo. Mefo rear tkc80 front is what my combo fo choice.
SlowJoefromBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoefromBako View Post
I rode la barstow vegas last year on the 990 with a mefo rear. I was going to change it out to a 908 before, but i couldnt wear it out. So i went with a mefo with just over 3000miles on it. Worked great rock gravel sand. When i finaly wore it out and changed to the 908 i got 1500 miles out of it and didnt think the traction was that much better then the half wore out mefo. Mefo rear tkc80 front is what my combo fo choice.
Good to know- I have a half-worn 908 right now- less than 1000 miles- and will make the mefo move.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,518
MEFO SE rear and TKC80 up front make a great reasonably long lasting 50/50 setup.

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
FWIW I never totally liked the Mefo Front. Never felt that confident on the dirt but it was a long wearing tire.
TKC was better IMO all around but you give up wear.
Giving the K60 Scout a try.

When the current 908 wears I'll probably try the Mefo Rear

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
MEFO SE rear and TKC80 up front make a great reasonably long lasting 50/50 setup.
That's been my experience too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
FWIW I never totally liked the Mefo Front. Never felt that confident on the dirt
I hate to hear that since I have a MEFO front sitting idle until the TKC gives up.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
This is the setup I'm looking to do for my 990 once the stock rubber wears out, is the TKC80 decent on the highway? I have a trip to the Pikes Peak international hillclimb in June and will be putting on 2,500 miles of pavement but once I return I want to ride a lot of dirt and have heard from many people that the Mefo and TKC80 is a great combo, I just hate to put the front on and kiss it goodbye down the highway in a week.

Any suggestions??? I greatly appreciate the help!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
will be putting on 2,500 miles of pavement but once I return I want to ride a lot of dirt a
Yeah, me too.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Who is a resonably priced source for the rear Mefo SE? For what its worth, I like the TKC front. Great offroad, and last good.(I rarely air down, and usually run a couple pounds more)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
Who is a resonably priced source for the rear Mefo SE? For what its worth, I like the TKC front. Great offroad, and last good.(I rarely air down, and usually run a couple pounds more)
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/tire-...venture-others

http://www.ktmtwins.com/mefo-rear-tire

http://www.motostrano.com/MEFO-p/mef...oSEACg&click=2

$180 is standard price. If you find one for $170 it's a steal. Cheers.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
rotarygirder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
This is the setup I'm looking to do for my 990 once the stock rubber wears out, is the TKC80 decent on the highway? I have a trip to the Pikes Peak international hillclimb in June and will be putting on 2,500 miles of pavement but once I return I want to ride a lot of dirt and have heard from many people that the Mefo and TKC80 is a great combo, I just hate to put the front on and kiss it goodbye down the highway in a week.

I put a mefo rear and tkc front on my 990 in October. It's been about 7-8000 miles on the pair since that has included a big offroad trip when new (they were great) and a few offroad afternoons since worn (they do just fine) as well as superslabbing it across the country and on daily commuting. The front is now cupped pretty well, the rear has a minor flat strip in the middle, and the pair has gotten slightly wiggly if riding hard on pavement but I have no real complaints. I hated the on-road handling change from the stock scorpions when I first put them on but now I have no complaints, great combo.
rotarygirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:

That's my combo for 50/50 and big miles. The tkc will cup but if you flip the tire or rotors it evens out a bit and will give you the mileage you might need.

Give APEX motorsports a call in Colorado Springs. Reserve a set of tires (they price their tires very well) for when you arrive. Now you can burn up your current rubber and have fresh for your riding around here and the ride home.

I'm planning on heading your way this fall and will be shipping tires to a buddy up there. It's a little pain but very nice to have fresh rubber for the non highway portion of a ride.

Cody
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by codys View Post
That's my combo for 50/50 and big miles. The tkc will cup but if you flip the tire or rotors it evens out a bit and will give you the mileage you might need.

Give APEX motorsports a call in Colorado Springs. Reserve a set of tires (they price their tires very well) for when you arrive. Now you can burn up your current rubber and have fresh for your riding around here and the ride home.

I'm planning on heading your way this fall and will be shipping tires to a buddy up there. It's a little pain but very nice to have fresh rubber for the non highway portion of a ride.

Cody
Thanks everyone! If my current tires last that long, I will definitely do that. It would be awesome to save that 1,300 miles on the sweet tires. If you're ever going to be in the Duluth area, send me a message!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
INTERESTING..
I started at CO/UT trip on my KTM 640 on the 10th with a TKC 80 combo with 300 miles on them. By the third day the rear looked at least half worn, and we had 7 days of riding (about 200 per day) to go. There was no way I was making it back to the start with that rear. Considering the complete lack of service available in Utah, on the fourth day I got a new Mefo Super Explorer in 140/80-18 in Moab. I wanted to wait a few days to put it on when the TKC was really worn, but the shop was closing for a couple weeks the next day. I thought about draggin it along and changing ourselves, but when he only wanted $30 to change it, I went ahead and had it done.

After 1200+ miles the Mefo seems to be barely showing any wear, and the combo with the front TKC worked perfectly fine for me.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote