User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,759
Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley nOOb's Rally

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Huge thanks to Joel and his posse.
Great times were had by most.

Let the reports begin!

johngil screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:15 PM
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
I didn't take many photos this year, so most of these are from Saturday.

I led a group up Chloride Cliffs. We did some non-noob sections and everyone rode through them like they were nothing. Especially Sampath:

Todd forgot that the Feats of Strength is for Festivus, not Easter:

After the mine, we headed up to the top. The group of guys with me had never to been to Death Valley before. They thought the view toward Beatty was incredible:

Until we hiked up to the top and looked out over the valley:

Sampath after riding like a pro:

Contemplating a BASE jump:

We hit Beatty for lunch and gas, the headed off to Rhyolite and Titus. Here we are at the top of the pass on the way to Titus Canyon:

In Titus:

Arnie on the SE

Chris on the DR650

Todd on the GSA

Sampath on the BMW 800

Tae on the WR 250

The canyon ahead:

Sampath and Tae:

Some of Titus Canyon:

Trying some Joel photos:

Don't let Sampath tell you he's a Noob. He didn't crash at all. I wish I could ride that smooth.

The weather was incredible for the rally. I didn't even need (or bring) a tent. It would have messed up this view at night:

tbarstow screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:27 PM
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,170
Holy shit I took a lot of pictures.

I'll just post some of the people I rode with in order to keep it simple.

I'm the guy on the left. (It was going to be the sombrero tour but I got tired of explaining my play so..F it!)

Drove in with this guy.

To stay in this guys RV.

Met these 2 like minded dirt bike folks when I got there. (before ditching the sombrero plan)

Saw and talked to a friend I've ridden with in the past. (Bob and I have agreed to disagree on "things".)

My friends went off on their own so I hooked up with a few new friends to do Beatty (Gas)Titus. (One to make our Mothers proud)

Took some cool pictures in exotic locations.

Jody/Jimmy (2 names...kinda like me but totally different) and his happy hands.

Teakettle (Where I had some words with a lady in a white Toyota PU who tried to cut anyone who dared pass he on the 2 way wide road. Dunerider and Valery(?) were coming the other way and she was WAY the f in their lane and had to ditch her shit to the right to avoid them. Her excuse was asthma (ha I know) and "you're going too fast" (F that).

The crew I was with wasn't into doing Lippincott so I hooked up with group 3 for that part.

Got back ready to shower and caught a bit of Jimmy's class.

He sure knows his way around a bike.

End of day one, time for intermission...cue elevator music.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 02:20 PM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,771
Stinez, when I am able to ride, I will be happy to ride with you. Afterwards we can talks, beer, bikes and what ever else we agree on.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Stinez, when I am able to ride, I will be happy to ride with you. Afterwards we can talks, beer, bikes and what ever else we agree on.

Throw babes in there and we'll have a deal.

For instance... The nice people we met at Furnace Creek after Goler, Mengel, burgers and beers.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 544
I had an awesome time at the rally this year. Nice weather, good riding companions, and no major crashes or breakdowns on Friday or Saturday. I led a Hunter Mountain/Lippincott loop ride on Friday and joined the Cerro Gordo/Salt Tram ride on Saturday (where I ended up helping to lead a small group up to CG & the salt tram). Here are the pics:

Most of my group seemed to leave with the earlier ride to Hunter Mountain and Ubehebe, so it was a small group, including Eggroll (Luke), Soupknotzee (John), and Dirt Donkey (Mitchell). They were all on WR250R's, so I was the one on the "big" bike with my XR650L.

China Garden Spring

Darwin

We were buzzed by low flying fighter jets on the way to Saline Valley Road. Stopped for a brief look at Boxcar Cabin

Up the hill to South Pass and the Hunter Mountain junction

Lunch stop at Hunter Cabin

Down the hill through Hidden Valley to Teakettle Junction

On to the Racetrack & Lippincott

Stinez (Steve) joined us at the Racetrack for the ride down Lippincott

Out to Saline Valley Road and back over South Pass to the highway

Father Crowley overlook

Saturday, on the road to Darwin with a group of 7, including Eggroll (Luke), Soupknotzee (John), Fishwhisperer (Scott), Dirt Donkey (Mitchell), and Slugdad (Bill), AZ Tom and I.

Out into the Joshua Trees of Centennial Flat

Without any clear directions, we headed for the highway out to Keeler and Cerro Gordo Road

Quick elevation gain up to the former mining town of Cerro Gordo

Lunch stop at Cerro Gordo

Then we headed out to see the Salt Tram

Up to a nice overlook

"I think it's that way!"

On to a really challenging hill climb (even the donkey lost it's shoe...)

Only three of us (Soupknotzee, Dirt Donkey, and I) made it up the hill and continued on to the Salt Tram

Great riding & beautiful views along the ridge

The Salt Tram was really cool. An amazing engineering effort to lift salt from the Saline Valley up and over the ridge to Keeler and a ferry across Owens Lake.

We traveled back along the ridge and then down the back side of Cerro Gordo into the park and on to PSR

I had a great time. No photos of the evening activities, but the food was great and the raffle was quite a show on Saturday night. Looking forward to next year.

r3r3r screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 04:22 PM Reason: change photo links
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,669
I swear one of these days I'm going to make this. IF my schedule will ever cooperate.

Till then Looks like a great time and perfect weather.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
I swear one of these days I'm going to make this. IF my schedule will ever cooperate.

Till then Looks like a great time and perfect weather.
Dude, I highly recommend it... This was my third year - first year on a street bike, 2002 BMW R1100S, and its final drive seal blew out on the way there, but no bike naps... second year on a medium enduro bike, 2007 BMW G650X Challenge, had some electrical difficulty the first ride into the dirt that had me stranded in the desert for about 9 hours waiting for a ride back, and lots of bike naps... third year (this year) on a huge enduro bike, 2012 R1200 GS Adventure, had some difficulty on the first day of off roading, but it was an awesome trip, and only one bike nap...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Shunka
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Dude, I highly recommend it... This was my third year - first year on a street bike, 2002 BMW R1100S, and its final drive seal blew out on the way there, but no bike naps... second year on a medium enduro bike, 2007 BMW G650X Challenge, had some electrical difficulty the first ride into the dirt that had me stranded in the desert for about 9 hours waiting for a ride back, and lots of bike naps... third year (this year) on a huge enduro bike, 2012 R1200 GS Adventure, had some difficulty on the first day of off roading, but it was an awesome trip, and only one bike nap...
I know, I know...

Spring is swamped for me. I only get one or two weekends off this time of year with track meets, Easter (wife has objections), and I take the week of spring break off and we do our last family desert trip then. Seems like every year there is a conflict for me.

I do still plan on brewing up some home brew for this next year though for the Stewards dinner though even if I can't make it. We just couldn't make enough in time for this years event.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
I know, I know...

Spring is swamped for me. I only get one or two weekends off this time of year with track meets, Easter (wife has objections), and I take the week of spring break off and we do our last family desert trip then. Seems like every year there is a conflict for me.

I do still plan on brewing up some home brew for this next year though for the Stewards dinner though even if I can't make it. We just couldn't make enough in time for this years event.
Yeah, I understand... Easter was a deal breaker for lots of FFs... I look forward to sampling your beer... don't you live near me?...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

reposted from the nOOb rally thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I am checking SPOTs and saw that Andy (Macadamia) turned back from Saline Valley Road right after South Pass where other riders kept going to Springs. Is everything OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Looks like he's back at camp now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Yeah he is. I hope he is OK. It looks like he was over South Pass. So the rest of the SalineValley Road would be easier.
I wonder why he turned back.
Well, I wanted to make it to the hottie springs this year. Everything started out well, riding along with Cowgirl and Rider914... After stopping at the fork to Hunter Mountain and airing down, we proceeded to head down south pass.

A couple of miles down south pass, after the second stream wash, I got into trouble with the large rocks while heading down hill. I was going too slow and when I applied my front brake, it acted like a panic stop and stopped me cold. The front tire turned and caught a space between a couple of large rocks and with my momentum gone, I went down. A couple of other riders stopped and assisted Rider914 and me to get the GS Adventure back on it's feet. At this point, Rider914 and I had a frank discussion about how much farther it was to the hot springs (far), how much easier it was going to get (not any), and whether or not we'd be back in time for dinner (unlikely). I was given the choice to continue but I decided it was in my best interest to turn around at this point so the others in my group could continue on and finish their ride and I could return to the camp and take a break. I did not want to ruin Rider914 or Cowgirl's ride.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the names of the other 2 riders that stopped and helped me get going. One of them rode my bike up the hill past the first stream wash like it was nothing. I walked up the hill back to my bike. At first, I was embarrassed that I could not complete the ride - I'm not usually one to quit. After accepting a cold water bottle from a nice Jeeper coming down the pass, I knew I made the right choice and got over it... I made it back to camp with no other issues. I actually had a blast riding Saline Valley Rode twice.

As for the GS Adventure, it got a couple of scrapes and scratches, and the only carnage was one of the 2 spring bosses on the kickstand broke off and caused my kickstand to bounce in the up position the rest of the weekend while riding off road.

Rider914 said he took a photo of my bike while it was napping, but I have not seen it yet. Do you have it, Matt? edit: photo found of my nap...

Photo by Rider914

BTW, I'm very impressed by the progress Cowgirl has made since last year. This year, she led this ride the whole way and I did not see her again after the Hunter Mountain fork until she returned to camp that evening. Great job, Cindy!!!

macadamia screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 03:40 PM Reason: added photo of my bike's nap
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Shunka
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Yeah, I understand... Easter was a deal breaker for lots of FFs... I look forward to sampling your beer... don't you live near me?...
PM sent.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,668
Once again THANKS to joel & co. Met a lot of new FF's & saw some I have not seen for awhile. Had the chance to ride my 950SE to DV & then enjoy my small bike for Saturdays ride with a GREAT group of boys, ALL thanks to Mr. GRINCH I love u man!
On my way to DV, my favorite stop

Escrow should close on my dez cabin next week

This guy look familiar?

Not a good afternoon, who the phuck serves seafood for dinner in the middle of phucking nowhere

The guy on left was some homeless guy we dressed up in m/c gear, & of course our Saturday night MC, good job jimmy. LOVE the GS jokes, phunny thing is, there all true!

Sea ya boys next year if not sooner

RIDE ON!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post

Sea ya boys next year if not sooner

RIDE ON!
I'm guessing this was the cabin ride Hobo Pete invited me on. I was super bummed to not be able to make that ride... I think I was more bummed to miss the ride than the fact I melted the DT250's piston on it's second ride ever

Edit: Just tore down the top end all it did was wear the rings the bore smooth (nothing you can feel with a finger nail) and the piston looks like a very low hours piston so it just a set-o-rings, circlips and some gaskets! So it's $50 to get this "Classic" adver back in action!

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK

jamin_mathis screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:01 PM
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis View Post
I'm guessing this was the cabin ride Hobo Pete invited me on. I was super bummed to not be able to make that ride... I think I was more bummed to miss the ride than the fact I melted the DT250's piston on it's second ride ever

Great RR's and pix guys, keep 'em coming.

Yes, the Cerro Gordo and Salt Tram ride was pretty epic. Very fast group. I was glad I was sweep cuz I ride pretty fast and this crew was smokin'!

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote