User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
GCCR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Stripped Exhaust Threads

Newbie here. Just started a teardown on a 82 R65. I was in the process of removing the exhaust nuts that were on pretty snug. I shot it with PBR to break them loose. But after a while, when nuts were removed I noticed the threads on the right cylinder were all but gone. Any tips on repairing them? Thanks.

GCCR
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
That is a frequent problem .. you should have cut the nuts in half - far cheaper!

See http://www.motobins.co.uk/motobins-hints-and-tips.php scan down for "Exhaust Port Nuts" for a full description.. suggest your read other bits from that site too.

It is possible to repair them ..but lots of $$$.

Google is your friend .. found http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236601
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
check it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236601

http://www.price.gmxhome.de/BMW-V2-A...p-Details.html

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 632

You have to respect the elegance and ingenuity of Walter's solution, but though I personally love it, I find his adapter to be well kinda.... Well..... ugly on the bike.

In itself off the bike it's beautiful, on the bike not so much as it doesn't match, looks small and stuck on. A 10 for it's direct simplicity and effectiveness, 6 for aesthetics as they simply do not match the aesthetics of the engine.

That said.... If I was going to go that route, I'd use his connection at the head but then I'd take the original exhaust port nut, cut the threaded portion off weld in some metal on each side between the fins and drill it to match his attachment flange.

I know everyone can't weld aluminum like I can but you should be able to find a shop that can do this.

Essentially you could still use his clamp at the head, but couple it to a finned flange that works the same way but matches the original exhaust nut configuration.

It' would be like a custom BMW version of a the old KZ Kawa exhaust clamp.

Or essentially like this one I just Photoshopped:

Easy enough to make and it would match the other side.

Jim Day screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 11:31 AM
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
GCCR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Very nicely done!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
GCCR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
That is a frequent problem .. you should have cut the nuts in half - far cheaper!

See http://www.motobins.co.uk/motobins-hints-and-tips.php scan down for "Exhaust Port Nuts" for a full description.. suggest your read other bits from that site too.

It is possible to repair them ..but lots of $$$.

Google is your friend .. found http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236601
Thanks, Warin!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCR View Post
Newbie here. Just started a teardown on a 82 R65. I was in the process of removing the exhaust nuts that were on pretty snug. I shot it with PBR to break them loose. But after a while, when nuts were removed I noticed the threads on the right cylinder were all but gone. Any tips on repairing them? Thanks.

GCCR
Talk to Carl...around here somewhere.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Carl

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Talk to Carl...around here somewhere.
I'm still here...

Airhead cylinder head exhaust thread issues should probably have its own 'sticky' thread.

So, getting this thread back on the subject of damaged exhaust threads and not how they got to that point here is some info that was previously posted on the different types of damaged thread repairs.

For those considering the repair via cutting threads on a lathe, depending what model head you will be repairing, I expect it will take most people more than an hour to get the part set on the lathe and capable of actually cutting threads. It is one hefty piece hanging off that spindle to attempt to spin and cut threads simultaneously.

I still consider the best method to repair the threads is having the head removed form the engine, remove the damaged threads, weld and then lathe cut new threads.

Carl

Carl screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 08:05 PM
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
I still consider the best method to repair the threads is having the head removed form the engine, remove the damaged threads, wled and then lathe cut new threads.
Just curious, do you have any photos of how you load a head in a lathe? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that part. Nice looking repair.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Carl

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Just curious, do you have any photos of how you load a head in a lathe? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that part. Nice looking repair.
Well, based on you and I had a word sematics discussion in the past... I'll still fo go for it. I don't 'load' the head in a lathe. I attach the head to a custom fixture that threads onto the lathe spindle. Ken saw it when they were visiting us last year. The fixtures are different for the various series of heads. The R69/R69S heads require their own fixture design. Maybe some people have a 'one size fits all' fixture. I don't. Think lathe face plates and that will allow your head to wrap around all the ideas for lathe fixturing. I have fixtures for doing the welding separate from doing the lathe turning. It is crucial to have the fixture and spinning process just right or else chatter and vibration will be your worst enemy. The trick is to do some of the process manually and some under power. My latest processes used for the repairs are based on what I learned from the Maestro. One must give credit to the Maestro who so kindly took the time to allow me to review and learn his methodology.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
Is it some sort of expanding center that goes into the exhaust port? Do you have some sort of live center to support the back or is it just supported on the drive side?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Newbie here.. I shot it with PBR to break them loose. Thanks.

GCCR
PBR is a "social lubricant", it is a very poor lubricant other wise. Except the next morning.

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee View Post
PBR is a "social lubricant", it is a very poor lubricant other wise. Except the next morning.

Ha!
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
...... when nuts were removed I noticed the threads on the right cylinder were all but gone. Any tips on repairing them?

There are a few ways to repair this. Can you post some pics so we can see how bad it is. Where are you located, are there any good metal fabricators or machine shops in your area?

Jim Day screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:39 AM
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
GCCR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
There are a few ways to repair this. Can you post some pics so we can see how bad it is. Where are you located, are there any good metal fabricators or machine shops in your area?
Hi Jim here are the pics you asked about. I'd be interested in anyone in CA that could repair this.