User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
R100RS convert to a naked R100

Does anyone have a picture what the bike looks like with r100rs fairing removed?
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
No pic, but I'd imagine it looking something like a plain ol' R100.

Except with no front indicators, and clock and volt meter wires blowing in the wind.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
I think an RS bike doesn't have Headlight Ears because the headlight is in the fairing. Of do you have the headlight shell? And just need the glass?

You need what ever isn't there to make a headlight and you need front turn signals and stalks to hang them on.

Check out where the ignition key is on the RS. A naked bike has a different switch I think.

A nice clean RS fairing with the brackets and other extras is sometime s a desirable thing to have. It might sell.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
An RS is the same setup as an RT. That means that if you remove the fairing, you will need headlight ears. The stock headlight will mount up to them. You will also need turn signal mounts and the signals. You will also need to find a place for the ignition switch. It can be retro fitted to the left side of the headlight, just like any other naked R100.

And you will need to either remove or tape up the wires for the volt meter and clock.

Minor rant below:
It has been done numerous times. I know it is your bike and you can do whatever you want to it, but, I prefer to see an RS or RT left as is. If you want a naked bike, go buy a naked bike.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
An RS is the same setup as an RT. That means that if you remove the fairing, you will need headlight ears.
Not sure what you mean by headlight ears, as the RS already has them. Are you talking about the signal stalks?

I've ridden my RS without the fairing a few times, headlight works fine. The headlight is not part of the fairing, it just slips into the lens boot.

(Just have to figure out the signals and forget about the clock/voltmeter.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
The headlight is not part of the fairing, it just slips into the lens boot.

Yes but the headlight mount is part of the fairing mounting structure which is why it stays straight when you turn.

What will the bike look like? Well it will look like whatever you put on it.

I met a rider who pulled his fairing removed a bunch of stuff like the headlight and replaced them with /6 parts. Now his bike looks like a /6 a big RS logo on the engine, and it was all just sooooo wrong
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Yes but the headlight mount is part of the fairing mounting structure which is why it stays straight when you turn.

What will the bike look like? Well it will look like whatever you put on it.

I met a rider who pulled his fairing removed a bunch of stuff like the headlight and replaced them with /6 parts. Now his bike looks like a /6 a big RS logo on the engine, and it was all just sooooo wrong

No it's not, it's part/connected to the frame's steering tube. The fairing is made to come clean off with only disconnecting the upper harness quick connect. 4 bolts and the mirrors and it's off in 5 minutes.

I'm not saying it looks good, but I rode mine for 2 months without a fairing, and it was fine, the light still stays in line as it would anyway with fairing.

When someone uses the term headlight ears, they usually mean the 2 triangular pressed flaps that have bolts on each side of the headlight (right?)
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
a bit unflattering

It had been sitting around (already naked) for a while before it came to me so its getting a bit of a clean up at the moment, but I'm going for shabby chic. The ignition switch is flapping in the breeze at the moment but can be fitted into headlight. I will fit knee pads

........and badges

dirtsurfer screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 04:24 AM
dirtsurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
The RS headlight is attached to a mount that is on the steering tube of the frame. It always points in the direction of the frame and bike. When someone mentions 'ears' they mean the mounting pieces that let the headlight be mounted to the steering forks.

When I got my 'wrecked' R100RS, I removed the faring and then cut the already bent faring mounts ... so that the headlight was still held by the steering tube mount. It worked fine ...

But if you want it to 'look right' ... you'll need a set of 'ears'. They can be had fairly inexpensively from Ebay. There are also aftermarket generic one's that look OK too.

PS - The RS faring also holds the 'ignition key'. This key will need to be moved to the headlight bucket ... and that's where the genuine BMW headlight ears will be handly (because the BMW method (at least for the RS vintage) put the key in the hole created by the bolt connecting the headlight ear to the bucket!).

I did the same thing years ago ... The bike is long gone ... but it was a great learning experience.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603239

On the first (Bike version 2.0) you can see where the key is meant to be on the naked bike. On the side of the headlight bucket.

Beater screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 07:13 AM
Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Heres my R/T.Alittle different,but sorta the same.

I bought "ears"@ Mid Ohio last year.Pop off the top triple tree and they slide right on.

pbarmy screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:18 PM
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote