User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Wink Who has done an IBA run ?

So has any from here done any of the Iron butt rides?

i would love to attempt the SaddleScore 1000 this summer.

1k miles in 24 hours.

i have chosen the "loop of Alaska".

i record footage with witness at gas stop..etc, take photos, and keep records of the miles and time.

well see how this go.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
There are quite a few IBA riders on this forum
Good luck and have fun

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,646
Alcan Rider is your best source of info. He's on and offf the forum as he makes his transition to his retirement home in Slana; he has no internet there as of yet.

There is one pre-approved 1000 mile route that I am aware of. You do not have to use it, but if you do then there will be no doubt that the route is long enough. Jack and I rode it in 2009 or 10.

You can start anywhere on this route: Fairbanks, south on Parks to Palmer, Glenn Hwy to Glennallen, Richardson Hwy to Valdez (first gas station on the right), back north on the Richardson Hwy to the Tok Cutoff to Tok, north on Alaska Hwy to Delta, North on the Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks.

I used the Tesoro on the cornor of University and College Avenues as my start and end point. Came to 1038 miles and took around 18 hours, including a 45 minute breakfast stop for Jack.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Several of us did it from Anchorage a couple of years ago. Anchorage, Glennallen, Valdez, Glennallen, Paxson, Delta Jct., Fairbanks, Cantwell, Anchorage. You only need a witness at beginning and end, the gas receipts will be sufficient confirmation for the rest. Be sure you can get gas at night along the way or you might have to adjust your departure time.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
sweet good info guys, well see how the weather is in May,if not , maybe after i return from my Cali ride, ill then attempt this.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Iba

I would like to give this a go.. I am thinking on the rebound from Prudhoe Bay.. Maybe to Homer or Seward. The loop your looking at is cool gets you back to home when done..

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
So has any from here done any of the Iron butt rides?

i would love to attempt the SaddleScore 1000 this summer.

1k miles in 24 hours.

i have chosen the "loop of Alaska".

i record footage with witness at gas stop..etc, take photos, and keep records of the miles and time.

well see how this go.
Your route is a little longer than necessary but, depending on weather, might actually be best. From Valdez, you can go straight north up the Richardson Hwy through Isabel Pass and still get over 1000 miles. But Isabel Pass can have snow nearly any month of the year, just like Atigun Pass, so it's best to watch weather forecasts for Delta Jct and Paxson a few days before you do the ride.

For witnesses, you only need a single start witness and a single finish witness. The witness is only attesting to your odometer reading, and if you intend to leave really early in the morning, they can even check it the night before. Just don't ride 50 miles or so to your starting point the next morning. But 4 or 5 is no problem.

You have to get a time/date stamped receipt for your official starting time. It's a good idea to select your starting point (a gas station is usually the best), then make a purchase there a day or so before to make sure their receipts have all the necessary information printed clearly. Same thing with your finish time - it will require a printed receipt (or a time & date slip from an ATM - if you're just checking your balance, for instance). You also need a receipt from your "corner" points. For instance, with the route you've laid out it would be Valdez, Tok, and Fairbanks. Oops! Didn't notice you had yourself going out to Chena Hot Springs, too. A receipt there would be necessary instead of Fairbanks, but you would probably need to get another one down around Healy or Cantwell, too. Don't know why you would go out to Chena Hot Springs. Not a good plan for your first SS1K That said, it is up to you to prove that you have ridden the full route and not taken any shortcuts. Your receipts will accomplish that.

Be sure to make out a trip log, as the IBA rules describe. I'll usually make up a rough one as I travel, then transcribe the info onto a proper form at home. At the recommendation of one of the most accomplished Iron Butt riders in the world, I have made up my own forms that refer to the start and finish witnesses as "Verifiers" rather than "witnesses" as some police departments will not allow their officers to sign as "witnesses". For the basic rides, i.e. the Saddle Sore and Bun Burner 1500, anyone can witness. Once you get into the extreme rides then you need three witnesses unless they are police officers, firemen, motorcycle dealer employees, or IBA official witnesses (of which I am one here in Alaska).

Once you have finished a Saddle Sore 1000 (SS1K) or two, you might consider attempting the Alaska Gold 1000 (Homer to Prudhoe Bay or vice versa in 24 hours) or the Haul Road 1000 (North Pole to Prudhoe Bay and back to North Pole in 24 hours). Inmate Hobo and I did the latter together a few years ago to inaugurate that ride, but several other riders managed it a few years earlier, during the '01 Iron Butt Rally. Dick Fish told me he rode from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and back in 18 hours during that rally, and Shane Smith (who finished 2nd overall) had to have done it too. Then George Barnes and Bob Hall both had to have accomplished it a few days later, with Hall winning 1 million bonus point with his ride (George DNF'd) and coming in first overall in the rally.
Haul Road Primer

Alcan Rider screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 12:15 AM
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote