User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,842
RTW part 2 Durban to Dusseldorf- Cheap Aussie Style

Well its been a while since i posted a ride report on here, and the next bit of my trip is about to start,the thing with riding around the world on a bike is that you have to get on with it at some stage, to actually do it ,but things get in the way so the madness is about to start, i have bought a ticket to Johannesburg and bought a set of panniers of wild dog forum ,oh yeah and a GPS and a rain suit ,just working on the bike ,looked at a pretty cool travel ready 81 XT500 online and thought about it, but it might end in tears, so going with another KLR me thinks ,so any way stay tuned ,just have to remember how to use smugmug ,oh and i apologise in advance about ,spelling, grammar and smart ass comments

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 04:15 AM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
MatatuPuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bad ass. Bring it!
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

well i made it here at least

i bought a KLR (of course) from a chap named Errol from the wild dog forum,he was kind enough to pick me up from the airport ,i didnt really know where he lived ,turns out it is bethlehem ,so i have a holy start to this trip ,mind you it's bethlehem in south africa not the Jesus place, and the other thing is it was 250 km trip ,how is that for keen to unload his bike,na just joking Errol ,its just the hospitality over here, Errol has a workshop so i make myself at home for a week and his trusty KLR now looks like this

a few mods to the crash bars to suit the new safari tank

and just for good measure a view from the patio in my room at Erolls place

and not to mention there pet zebra down the paddock ,everyone here has a pet zebra by the way
Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
With that maxi KLR TANK, You'll probably get to Germany on one tank of fuel . Let's ride
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Wheelman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
With that maxi KLR TANK, You'll probably get to Germany on one tank of fuel . Let's ride
Looking forward to this report. Love your Zebra! I'll try and sneak a pic of mine in the back garden when he's not looking but he gets very agitated when he sees me with a camera and i have to feed him beer to calm him down
Wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Ohh yes, I shall be following this trip. Good luck
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 484

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
The bad times will be the good memories in the future. It'll work out somehow. It always does. Might be a good time to ditch some stuff you haven't had to use for a while to help the bike out.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Keep it up and thanks for a sharing Africa like it is. Except for the shock the KLR seems to be going well
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Stop moaning i say , i had my vent ,i dont really have to much that i don't use, except for a few spares,no hair dryer or snap on tool kits, the bit that pissed me off is that the hippo decided to throw me sideways while it was having a nancy in the rough bits ,and high sided me off the track into a prickle bush ( i shit you not) and i plucked out about 30 needles from my hand last night , my hand looks like a pin cushion, expensive shocks are meant to take rough stuff , when its buit to suit that purpose , i aint exactly riding like Mark Coma
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Good news is that RICOR are sending me a new shock , i might get a job in their test team , oh and GOPRO are replacing my camera , and actually sending it to Africa , not making me wait 3 months, so all in all a good day following a bad day
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #12
Crossed-up
Pangaman

Oddometer: 17
So things look up. Excellent!

With you being an Australian, I have to be careful when I say we're all rooting for you. At least we're wishing you the best.

I've enjoyed your report so far, and sorry I didn't meet you when you passed through Cape Town.
Crossed-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
Good news is that RICOR are sending me a new shock , i might get a job in their test team , oh and GOPRO are replacing my camera , and actually sending it to Africa , not making me wait 3 months, so all in all a good day following a bad day
Great support by Ricor and GoPro. Looking forward to more pictures. Those ones of the kids in the river etc reminded me of SA last century....so much action....... and that river crossing is a classic. Hope there are some smooth roads before the new Ricor.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Great stuff, keep on, keeping on

Sent from the basement. Hey Ma more meatloaf.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

well the boat had to get to port at some stage so after a nice few days it was time to unload and pay the hefty $2 port charges in Tanzania and find a place to crash , i ended up at the local lodge , had to do a tricky trials ride up the stairs to get in , this is leaving

the good ole draggin jeans have served me well through 80 ish countries and needed a trip to the local tailor

here Robin , I am drinking safari lager

heading north to Burundi , i wasnt there very long as it is tiny , i am not sure where they stack nearly 10 million people , but you can ride through in a day or so, this is where my shock blew

A nothern shot of Lake Tanganyika , just a few of the fishing boats

with no shock just a spring it bucked around a bit at speed , so it decided to highside me into a prickle bush , over 30 prickles , uoch , i guess the prickle bush may have broken my fall as i still had a sore wrist ,and may have been worse

a local transport company

high in the hills , i got a bit lost seeing my GPS stopped working , my paper map was a bit average

this was like talcum powder

if you ever wondered where Yorkshire tea comes from ,look no further than here

its a bit blurred ,but i got my Burundi number plate from these guys (i collect a number plate from every country i go to)

I got to the Rwanda border too late and was lucky to get this fine hotel room for $3 , some would say i got ripped , but it was a bed

Next time you think you have a tough job ,try this one , a gravel maker , from bigs rocks to this with a HAMMER

welcome to Rwanda

I felyt at home they have stacks of gum trees planted all along the roadside , some look like they have been there a long time

more rice

this is why i will never die of old age, haven't had a burger for months

I am in Kigali for a few days and they actually have an arts festival on ,i went to see some amazing singers last night and doiung the same tonight , i visited the Genocide memorial here and there is 250,000 of the million killed in 94 buried there , pretty sombre experience and you just wonder why