ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Laugh Tuned to the Sound of Motorcycle Exhausts Screaming and Engines Humming

HI Inmates!

My name is Yohan! Currently own a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC! I am 24 years old and ride to live and live to ride! I spend a lot of time either at school or work so that leaves little time to ride. But when i do have the time... i don't miss a beat!

I will just share photos and experiences of roads. At first it was just something i would do in a cheap way but from now on i am going to try to post a little more detail of my motorcycle related life! Comments questions and all other things are welcome!!

y0y02369 screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 03:28 PM
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
what and where?

what kind of bike do you ride, what kind of riding do you want dirt, street or what. and were do you want to end up?
I live an hour north of s.f. and there is a lot of good roads up here. not much in the way of good off roading, but some fantastic roads. just north of me is some good off roads and camping and stuff.
or if you cross bay bridge east bay has great day rides as well.
cheers
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I did a 2 day trip from Castro Valley up to Klamath and back.

Went through a couple state parks. Most beautiful scenery I've seen.

Went up the coast to Ukiah then cut over to......some mountain highway. Then a oupe other roads. Forget which one. I just kinda wandered.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Highway 84 south from 101 (Redwood City area) will lead to the coast either at San Gregorio or Pescadero (Duarte's Restaurant) for lunch.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...a=1,2&t=m&z=11

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
eljefedavies
Eljefedavies

Oddometer: 3
Bay Area Rides

RKA Luggage in Sonoma is doing a ride the first weekend in May. Check out there Web-site.

www.rka-luggage.com.
eljefedavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Tomorrow ill look online and see if I can remember exactly what route I took.

Seriously, it was the most amazing ride I have ever been on. Nice clean 2 lane roads going thought beautiful mountains with no one else in sight.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
what kind of bike do you ride, what kind of riding do you want dirt, street or what. and were do you want to end up?
I live an hour north of s.f. and there is a lot of good roads up here. not much in the way of good off roading, but some fantastic roads. just north of me is some good off roads and camping and stuff.
or if you cross bay bridge east bay has great day rides as well.
cheers

I got Vulcan classic 800 but will soon be switching to Tiger 800XC So as of now i do street only but will soon be looking for some dirt roads. Where are the offroads you talk about??

Yesterday I went from Fremont, took 880 to 92, crossed the bridge and went all the way to half moon bay. Got on and stayed on Highway 1 all the way to Marin Headlands. THAT was a nice ride! Other than the really windy conditions, the ride was superb. I was going to take highway 1 all the way to 17 then head home to the south bay but because of time issues just did 101 Here are some pictures i got at the Marin Headlands...

Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
Took a wee spin on the roads I suggested to break in my new rotors. Thought I would inspire you to ride this area with a few pictures
Up kings mountain road off woodside road (84), over and down on tunitas creek. Left on highway 1 to stage road followed into pescadero, pescadero road up to alpine then back onto 84, then skyline to old la honda and back home. Good couple of hours and the conditions are perfect, roads are clean with the recent wind and rain they are all washed and ready to go
Tunitas creek road.

This one is secret but the scenery is what you will have on most of the roads around here
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Took a wee spin on the roads I suggested to break in my new rotors. Thought I would inspire you to ride this area with a few pictures
Up kings mountain road off woodside road (84), over and down on tunitas creek. Left on highway 1 to stage road followed into pescadero, pescadero road up to alpine then back onto 84, then skyline to old la honda and back home. Good couple of hours and the conditions are perfect, roads are clean with the recent wind and rain they are all washed and ready to go
Tunitas creek road.

This one is secret but the scenery is what you will have on most of the roads around here

Looks like a blast! Can't wait to get the new bike to enjoy the windies!!

Secrets aren't mean to be kept here!! I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post

Looks like a blast! Can't wait to get the new bike to enjoy the windies!!

Secrets aren't mean to be kept here!! I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
That one would come with a trespassing ticket
years back they would open gazo creek up to the fire look out, each time I go out it is never open, I think they have some housing up there now and locals hold the keys

I ain't much of a dirt guy so I don't have much info on those. potholed and goat trail types I am your man though
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
That one would come with a trespassing ticket
years back they would open gazo creek up to the fire look out, each time I go out it is never open, I think they have some housing up there now and locals hold the keys

I ain't much of a dirt guy so I don't have much info on those. potholed and goat trail types I am your man though

ahah gotcha! I have been on some of those too! off calaveras there are a couple private dirt roads. But hey, it's not illegal till you get caught!! I'm not big on dirt but i do enjoy some fireroads. I have only been on a few but thought it was a blast! Hence why I am dropping the cruiser to get a Tiger!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
Are you ready for dirt roads and rough, narrow, twisty, paved roads?

There are not many dirt roads in the South Bay area but there are a few. A lot of narrow, twisty, paved roads though, I find them fun. And often you need to go on roads like this to get to dirt.

I can’t seem to post a picture here anymore.

If you use a GPS I can give you some addresses to route too.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 06:37 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Are you ready for dirt roads and rough, narrow, twisty, paved roads?

There are not many dirt roads in the South Bay area but there are a few. A lot of narrow, twisty, paved roads though, I find them fun. And often you need to go on roads like this to get to dirt.

I can’t seem to post a picture here anymore.

If you use a GPS I can give you some addresses to route too.

I enjoy both dirt and small windy paved roads! I do have a gps!
Anyone been to the tahoe roads?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Anyone been to the tahoe roads?
Yeah, but in many ways the riding is better here. More dirt up in the Sierra’s though.

I'll PM you some addresses
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
if all goes well i think i am going to take a ride around clear lake saturday.
leaving petaluma around 8:30 in the am.

over to napa-berryessa/knoxville to lower lake
maybe 53-20 to 29

damn if I wasn't busy this weekend I would join you! Another fun ride is

From Fremont take 84 East to Pleasanton.
Hook on to Vasco rd and follow signs to Mount Hamilton.
Ride to the top and then follow signs to tne observatory.
Take 680 S to the Sunol Exit and enjoy windy quiet roads.

Might do that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
You might want to try camping south of Tahoe too. There are some good creek side campsites along Slick Rock road near Lake Alpine on Hwy 4. Slick Rock turns into an extreme 4X4 trail (class 5) half way through, so you may not be able to get all the way through. Near there are a couple other lakes good for camping; Utica and Union reservoirs. They are on forest service roads, so the Vulcan can make it.

If you want guided rides (free), sign up for the emails from Cycle Specialties (BMW & Triumph dealer) in Modesto. They do both street and adventure group rides all the time, and all brands are welcome. Their business philosophy seems to be "welcome everyone, and eventually they might become a loyal customer".

I've actually always wanted to go to S Lake Tahoe on a bike, just gotta find friends that ride haha

Sounds like a blasta though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker2 View Post
FWIW - Every one of the main east west routes (120,108,88,50,80) through the sierras has 3 or 4 great north south routes that are worth riding and offer everything from dirt (yankee jim out of Forrest Hill for instance) to single lane (North South off 88 etc.) to twisty and as fast as you'd like (49 south of Angels Camp Unless you don't mind cops in which cast north is nice and historic).

You don't need a GPS for this stuff you just need a decent map and a good sense of direction.
Riding roads like these is where I'd like to progress to one day! You know if any groups do those types of rides leaving from the Bay?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2