Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
Pullsy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Throat or ear bone mics

Hi All

A mate and I have both got Uniden UH76sx radios for bike to bike coms. We wear mx style helmets so get plenty of wind noise at our ears. We have been looking at throat mics and ear bone mics. What recommendations for a mic setup for MX style helmets both on and off road communication?

Cheers

Pullsy
Pullsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Problem with throat mics is that you have to spend $250-$300 for mil-spec units to get one that actually WORKS. Not sure about the earbone mics.

Honestly, you're much better off getting a good quality boom mic with some good noise canceling circuits.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Pullsy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Albie

Thanks for the reply. What headset has noise cancelling circuits. I am having trouble finding any wired headsets (except for cheap eBay type units), everything seems to be Bluetooth.

Cheers

Pullsy
Pullsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Problem with throat mics is that you have to spend $250-$300 for mil-spec units to get one that actually WORKS. Not sure about the earbone mics.

Honestly, you're much better off getting a good quality boom mic with some good noise canceling circuits.
I've had the same experiences. And when you're dropping that kind of coin for a decent throat mic, they don't usually just plug into the cheap walmart blister-pack radios....so there's another $800+.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
I ride with a guy that uses a cheap ebay throat mic.
It's all about proper placement. Once he figured that out, it sounded about 1/2 as good as a wired boom mic on CB but as long as he wasn't being overly chatty, you could understand him. Not good for conversation but for short statements it worked fine.

I use a standard boom mike on the HD and even when I wear a 3/4 helmet with the mic in the wind at 80mph, the communication is clear. I also have used a scala Bluetooth (original rider) with a boom at highway speeds and nobody knew I was on the bike.

There is good tech out there to give you what you want. J&M has great stuff but it's not cheap.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
This is what I use:Firefox http://www.firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/

Granted we are on ATVs but I still wear a VX Pro helmet. The nice thing about it is that you can make tons of noise (we shoot) and the noise wont b picked up and transmitted. The bad is that -if it's a bumpy ride- you may have to tape it to your neck to keep it in place. I use them with motorola 2 ways but Scalas and the like should b ok. Stay away from booms bc of the air vent on the helmet, you'll drive your mate crazy if it's set on vox. All tht wind noise will be playing in both your ears nd your bAttery will last as long as a teenage boy in prom night. Push to talk is another story but hard to work on technical situations.
Hope this helps.

Btw these are Also good to have For that "bump in the night" scenario. I have one on a load vest nd my wife has one by the night stand. You can go check out on the kids and still be linked.
No surprises when you re enter your bedroom with her saying:oops I didn't know it was you. Now we need to patch the wall And you too

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 11:11 AM
GSAragazzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
2strokeClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I have been looking into a hands free solution for when I am driving my cage and get tired of holding the phone to my ear. In the process I looked at some boom mics because I have had good luck with the regular bluetooth things that dangle off your ear. Somehow I stumbled across the idea to get something that would work on my motorcycle. Normally I run ear buds to a i-pod on my wrist. I use the same motocross helmet for both off-road and on-road riding, which is a Klim F4 (love it). It tends to be noisy, what with the 41 cooling vents, so the ear buds help knock down the noise a bit, and the music is a nice addition.

Anyways, I ended up finding iASUS, which makes a couple different throat mic setups, one being specifically for motorcycles.
Store: http://www.iasuslogistics.com/

As I was typing this I went back to http://www.iasus-concepts.com/index.html to copy the url and noticed that they are working on a bluetooth version. I guess I am going to have to wait for that thing to come out.

webBikeWorld review of the GP3X2 (August 2011)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...us-throat-mic/

hopefully some useful information in here for someone.
2strokeClay is offline   Reply With Quote