User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Metalsapo OP
R.E. Ordoņez

Oddometer: 41
Wunderlich performance controller and F650GS

Hi, im wondering if anyone has installed the performance controller for the F650GS, if it is worth it, fuel economy and torque?
For instance, torque will give me more control when a steep downhill in a off road situation comes?
Sometimes i feel that the motorcycle does not help me with the first gear power to brake, i have dealed with it but i have nothing to loose questioning in this forum for a more advanced pilot to coach me in this matter, also the off road courses prepared me for the situations.
Thank you.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Tom Morrison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Installed it on mine, it did seem to improve idle level operation. Beyond that, no noticeable change in performance. Maybe a little more fuel consumption.
Tom Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Just a fyi if you do decide to try this out. This is exactly the same as the dobeck perf. EJK controller at a much higher price. Dobeck aka EJK.com will also give a 10% discount to forum users if you send them your user name on adv rider. The ONLY difference is the sticker on the front. If you look close you will see the dp(dobeck perf.) logo on the top right of this unit.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Metalsapo OP
R.E. Ordoņez

thanks

Quote:
Just a fyi if you do decide to try this out. This is exactly the same as the dobeck perf. EJK controller at a much higher price. Dobeck aka EJK.com will also give a 10% discount to forum users if you send them your user name on adv rider. The ONLY difference is the sticker on the front. If you look close you will see the dp(dobeck perf.) logo on the top right of this unit.
Thank you, i will investigate deeply in this matter, and also to make a clear point in this, im looking for, fuel economy, and most important torque response, downhills in a controlled slower speed.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
If you are looking for smoother throttle control, use the very economical system developed by High Tech Coonass on this forum.
Much cheaper than all the other systems out there and does what it is supposed to do. There is no magical "tune up" for these bikes, no system is going to make a very noticeable difference in performance. To really notice a difference you need about 10% gain across the board, I have yet to hear of a pipe and tuning that will get you that and is dyno proven to do so and not just some publicity claims.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If you are looking for smoother throttle control, use the very economical system developed by High Tech Coonass on this forum.
Much cheaper than all the other systems out there and does what it is supposed to do. There is no magical "tune up" for these bikes, no system is going to make a very noticeable difference in performance. To really notice a difference you need about 10% gain across the board, I have yet to hear of a pipe and tuning that will get you that and is dyno proven to do so and not just some publicity claims.
What Mike said! You will get used to the little you gain in about 5 minutes. Have you thought about a simple sprocket change? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Just want to clarify a few things. Increased torque will not change the engine braking. So the amount of resistance the engine gives you on a steep downhill will not change with a change in torque. The increased torque, will help maintain rpm, and speed as you go up a steep hill climb, or say you ride into increased head wind. This is a "poor mans" fuel controller, and if you are looking to fix the off idle kangaroo hop, then Hightechcoonass, has the fix for you. If you want to fix it through out the power range for real, then a Dynojet Power commander-5 with Auto tune is your answer. It really depends on your budget.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
The Dynojet will smooth out the entire rev range, but will it even come close to giving you 8 HP at the rear wheel?
I doubt that.
You can only ask so much of the F650 GS. If you spend the equivalent amount on rider training and practice, you won't need any FI tuning.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The Dynojet will smooth out the entire rev range, but will it even come close to giving you 8 HP at the rear wheel?
I doubt that.
You can only ask so much of the F650 GS. If you spend the equivalent amount on rider training and practice, you won't need any FI tuning.
No..... I'd say 2 with stock exhaust..... and that might be optimistic. But control through out the entire rpm band, should be the reason you would do this. Not for the power. Both of the twins are way beyond lean...... Mapped to satisfy the EPA. That is where the real benefit shows..... Control. On the other hand, if you header, and pipe it, you need the PC-5, as you are running crazy'er lean. As mentioned earlier, HTCA has a great product, and I would have settled for that, if I did not want a bit more, in the shape of Header, and pipe.

Erling
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Metalsapo OP
R.E. Ordoņez

sprocket change?

Quote:
Have you thought about a simple sprocket change? GH
Ok, you caught me running, jajajjaja, i thought that torque modifications are only to be done via computer and gasoline adaptations, but the sprocket change is something i like allot more, i will contact the dealer to ask for any advice, meanwhile i will read the google information, and thank you again, and if you know or have done something alike i will love to read it.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Don't discount the Wideband O2 Controllers, a lot less money than the PC, works with the ECU and all its sensors, works throught the RPM range, programmable to any A/F R.

Just saying, consider all the options.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Don't discount the Wideband O2 Controllers, a lot less money than the PC, works with the ECU and all its sensors, works throught the RPM range, programmable to any A/F R.

Just saying, consider all the options.

Terry
What product(s) are you referring to here? The PC with Autotune is about the only wideband controller for the F800's that I'm aware of.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Any of the wideband controllers will work, Innovate LC-1, Zeitronix, AEM, 14point7, etc.
Less expensive than the PC and on the plus side allows the ECU to use the sensors properly, MAP, IAT, oil temp., injector wear, etc.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...749080&page=13

Terry
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Any of the wideband controllers will work, Innovate LC-1, Zeitronix, AEM, 14point7, etc.
Less expensive than the PC and on the plus side allows the ECU to use the sensors properly, MAP, IAT, oil temp., injector wear, etc.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...749080&page=13

Terry
Nothing the others can do that the PC-5/AT don't do better. You get what you pay for..... That said I would like to see a write up on the others, with dyno runs..... On paper they dont have no where near the features of the PC-5/AT combo.... well... except for the fact that they leave you with more beer money.... which is a good thing.....

Erling
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

There are 13 pages of write up on the link. A dyno run is useless to me, I ride on the street. A dyno run shows much less info than many days of riding with a GS-911 and datalogger.

If all you want is horsepower go another route, if you want better throttle control then any of the widebands will do that, programmed to any A/F R you want and for a lot less money. Putting more fuel in is easy, substantial horsepower gains need air, not so easy.

Hightechcoonass makes an excellent product, I have one, it is first class and works as advertised.

The OP asked for an alternative, the widebands, including PC V/ AT are far superior to the Wunderlich.

Terry