User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
deltamed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
A New Pannier Thread!

Just bought a shiny new (new to me) 2011 F800GS. Getting a bit frustrated trying to decide which pannier cases to buy. Most folks who manufacturer these have woeful websites with few pictures and even less info (weight, break away systems, capacity, ect)
I'm considering Touratech Zega Pro, Jesse Luggage, H&P Xplorer and Carabou Pelican case systems... Pretty much got it narrowed down to the Touratech or the Jesse... But that's not set in stone.
PLEASE hammer out a quick message on this thread and let me know what you're using and how you like them...

Thanks!
deltamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,497
i bought a set of the Holan Nomada cases which are pretty much the Zega Pros(Nomada used to manufacture the Zegas for TT) and I like them.

All that you listed are good choices. I prefer top loading and a good amount of space. Which ones are you leaning too?
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-F800GS-Twin.aspx
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
SW-Motec EVO rack. Pelican 1550 cases. Bombproof. Smash a case, take it in and replace it for life for FREE. Solid, waterproof. Get a 4 lock set of RV camper truck attachment dumbel locks that no one can cut, and they don't rattle. Entire setup is about $900.00. Pelican 1550 cases are 35liters per case. Don't over pack and over weight your bike.

For soft bags, go with Kriega. Waterproof, and 10 year warranty

N
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
deltamed OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
i bought a set of the Holan Nomada cases which are pretty much the Zega Pros(Nomada used to manufacture the Zegas for TT) and I like them.

All that you listed are good choices. I prefer top loading and a good amount of space. Which ones are you leaning too?
I'm thinking the top loaders are a wise choice as well. I like the way the Jesse cases fit, but hear they are very heavy. (will have to shoot them a message. It was an old post, and Jesse has updated them since) The Zega Pros are looking good as well, but they seem to charge $100 bucks for every little additional feature. Guess if the're good, it's worth it...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
redviffer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamed View Post
Just bought a shiny new (new to me) 2011 F800GS. Getting a bit frustrated trying to decide which pannier cases to buy. Most folks who manufacturer these have woeful websites with few pictures and even less info (weight, break away systems, capacity, ect)
I'm considering Touratech Zega Pro, Jesse Luggage, H&P Xplorer and Carabou Pelican case systems... Pretty much got it narrowed down to the Touratech or the Jesse... But that's not set in stone.
PLEASE hammer out a quick message on this thread and let me know what you're using and how you like them...

Thanks!
I bought mine with the BMW panniers made by touratech. Within a few outings off road in some rough stuff the frames and panniers were buckled. I bashed and bent them back in to shape with a rubber mallet but they never quite attached to the frames properly after that nor did they stay sealed and watertight. I replaced them with Touratech Zega panniers and exactly the same thing happened. I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to. I sold them and replaced them with Metal Mule panniers. So far they look much tougher than anything made of metal that I have seen so far. I haven't had a decent off on them but I trust they will be ok. If I ever go for crazy off road stuff again I will use the racks but equip them with Wolfman soft luggage just in case.

Here is a pic of them on a recent trip, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37723&page=231
redviffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by redviffer View Post
I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to.
You forgot the coolest feature, each (and why they don't seem to hold as much as they should), each bag has double-walls. Between the walls, you can put 2L? or 3L? (I forget) of water as long as you add the spigot. Although, when you do add water, you can certainly tell you're hauling some extra weight around back there. But if you aren't going where water is plentiful, then it's a good thing to have and you don't have to worry about space.

Another option is to talk to the folks at XplorerMoto about the Bumot panniers. I put them on my GSA and really like them. I think they are every bit as good as the Jesse systems (and now available for the GS800).

http://www.xplorermoto.com/bumot.html
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
deltamed OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviffer View Post
I bought mine with the BMW panniers made by touratech. Within a few outings off road in some rough stuff the frames and panniers were buckled. I bashed and bent them back in to shape with a rubber mallet but they never quite attached to the frames properly after that nor did they stay sealed and watertight. I replaced them with Touratech Zega panniers and exactly the same thing happened. I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to. I sold them and replaced them with Metal Mule panniers. So far they look much tougher than anything made of metal that I have seen so far. I haven't had a decent off on them but I trust they will be ok. If I ever go for crazy off road stuff again I will use the racks but equip them with Wolfman soft luggage just in case.

Here is a pic of them on a recent trip, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37723&page=231
Great post... I appreciate the feedback. Being an ex-motocross guy, there is a good chance I will be tough on these... Although I'm quite a bit older and supposedly wiser now....
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Love the look, apparent quality and concept of the GlobeScouts, they are sharp, but they are imported?

That is fine, but there is a "wait" time, yes?

Is there one page, one area, one post that explains the price structure of their panniers, top boxes, options and availability in the USA?
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Love the look, apparent quality and concept of the GlobeScouts, they are sharp, but they are imported?

That is fine, but there is a "wait" time, yes?

Is there one page, one area, one post that explains the price structure of their panniers, top boxes, options and availability in the USA?

At first glance, it's ten pages of "conversation".... probably an oversight on my part.
Made in Turkey, imported and distributed in USA by ADVDepot.com
You can check the prices there. I was a beta tester, so was the first one to receive and test them in USA. Right now I believe the wait time is about 2 months, but they cost half compared to TT Zega Pro, so the wait is worth it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Thanks!

I think the concept of some rivets vs. welding (Globescouts) is great. Sounds like replaceable corners, etc., I get it.

They are great looking "cans" for certain. I can see they would be worth the wait at any (reasonable) price.

Quite stylish!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,576
Jesse Safari 8" panniers. Easy enough to remove, but I end up leaving them on all the time. 33" wide, they'll fit through a hotel room door.

Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Kirk's panniers

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878499

It's been a great pleasure in working directly with the builder in getting a set of panniers made for me.
To my exact specifications I might add. Kirk is fantastic to deal with. He answers PM's quickly, keeps you informed on the progress of the bags
with pictures and goes way beyond in shipping and packaging.

Priced very competitively and will work with you to save a few bux if needed.

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
deltamed OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
Jesse Safari 8" panniers. Easy enough to remove, but I end up leaving them on all the time. 33" wide, they'll fit through a hotel room door.

Those are nice! Do you know if Jesse still sells the Safari 8" Panniers?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #15
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
I went thru a similar search process. In the end I bought Jessie's.

Here's why

They have a GREAT mounting rack design, narrow and tough. They are the narrowest cases when mounted with the largest volume. If you search the blog here some where you will find that a couple of people have plotted out the installed width of several manufactures. Jessie has the best width vs volume ratio.

The bags and mounts are tough. The bags don't leak.

I like the ability to move the bags back and forth. forward if I'm riding alone for better weigh distribution....back if I have a passenger and they need more leg room.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote