User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
My number came up yesterday

I was riding my wr250r to work yesterday and as I was turning left into my work driveway the gentleman behind me decided to gun it and pass me. He nailed me on my left side flipping me onto his hood and then onto the side of the road.

I immediately gave myself a quick self check and saw my left leg had gone rag doll beneath the knee. The guy that hit me got out of his car and was frantic. He was yelling oh god I'm going to prison for the rest of my life for this. Please sir don't tell them what happened. I was like dude I am seriously injured please call 911. He did not so I got my phone from my jacket pocket and placed the call myself but wasn't able to communicate with 911 because my helmet was still on. Thankfully another gentleman arrived and told me he was calling.

About this time one of the cars that was stopped because of my accident ulled off and drove away. The frantic gentleman starting calling out that they were running. I'm like wtf dude you hit me.

So after about 15 minutes the paramedics arrive and start working on me. I knew my leg was pretty bad but the rest of my body seemed ok. They called in for a helicopter so a little more waiting in the ambulance and then I was whisked away to the hospital. It was a compound fracture of my tibea and fibula and surgery was scheduled for yesterday afternoon. They inserted a rod into my tibia and I'm now stabilized. It was a rough night to say the least.

So cliff notes...

I got hit and run from behind. Compound fracture. And the police don't seem real confident they will get him even though he was interviewed as a witness because it happened over a blind hill so the people behind him didn't see the accident only me flying onto his hood.

My bike suffered very little damage. My leg seems to have bore the brunt of the impact. I remember the noise of my helmet impacting his hood but there is very little visible damage. It tore off my visor and scratched it up a little. I was wearing a Shoei Multitec and the modular front remained closed during the accident. My Tourmaster Epic jacket also came out with hardly a rash. I was wearing jeans but I honestly don't think any gear would have saved my leg. It was a solid direct impact.

I'm scheduled to be released tomorrow.

I feel fortunate to be alive!
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Ouch! Well glad you came out relatively ok. Good luck with the lawyer/ insurance game.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 112
Damn man hell of a story. Best of luck to getting back to whatever u consider normal was....:p.

I agree that ATGATT is good for 75% of what can happen in a motorcycle accident....
Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you. I was hesitant to post my story at first but I figured I would share it with my advrider brothers and sisters.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,042
I'm sorry you had to post here.

WTF is wrong w/ people these days? Guy hits you, causes injury then fails to man up and take responsibility; nice.

Heal up, man.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
That doesnt sound right that they dont want to try to prove he did or didnt hit you,there will be some kind of marks on his car from the impact.
They are negligent if they let him go with out that after you told them who hit you.

Hope your leg heels well and quick.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Dammit!
When I was the victim of a U turning truck, and after the dust settled, it appeared he was about to drive away from the scene. I yelled and waved my arm at him. He thankfully did a u-turn and came back. Could have been a hit and run so easily...

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for the well wishes. I'll keep you updated as to my physical progress and whether they catch the guy that did it.

Here is the newspaper story.

https://www.journal-news.net/page/co....html?nav=5006
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,042
CYA cam

bracky- Your post/experience prompted me to finally purchase a cam this evening.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,269
Hope your recovery is uneventful. Seems like there has to have been some marks on his vehicle. Fooey on the cops.

I've noticed another trend, too. You are making a left turn on a two-lane and you are positioned in the left 1/3 of the lane, and more and more people will pass you on the right, half in your lane before you've even completed the turn.

I'm inclined to start making my left turns from closer to the right 1/3 of my lane and not give the miscreants an opening...

--Bill
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
yikes, that sounds like a bad one, good thing it wasn't worse! Maybe I'm stupid but how the hell are they going to have problems figuring out what happened and who is at fault? Someone said there must be marks on the guy's car, and how could anyone dispute that you must have been turning into your work driveway, which, if true, means that this guy hit you when he shouldn't have...
Hope it works out for you but it's unbelievable that someone could get away with this.
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

It's unbelievable to me also but I'm afraid it's true. My bike was hardly damaged. Just a bent foot peg and some paint traded. He really did run right into my leg so it took most of the blow. The turn is just past a blind hill so the cars following didn't see it. It's so crazy to me because i know the guy did it.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Hope your recovery is uneventful. Seems like there has to have been some marks on his vehicle. Fooey on the cops.

I've noticed another trend, too. You are making a left turn on a two-lane and you are positioned in the left 1/3 of the lane, and more and more people will pass you on the right, half in your lane before you've even completed the turn.

I'm inclined to start making my left turns from closer to the right 1/3 of my lane and not give the miscreants an opening...

--Bill
When I started riding 25 years ago; that's one of the first things I learned... GUARD YOUR LANE! If you don't, other drivers *WILL* try to "share" it. The ONLY time you don't do this is when it poses a direct danger to you...

To the OP:

Hope you heal up quickly. I would certainly get a lawyer involved ASAP. The Cops will likely NOT do the right thing for you... it's less paperwork for them.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
so, if you had been a pedestrian crossing the street, the situation still would be the same? The idiot that hit you is saying "no, it wasn't me, it was the guy that left the scene"? You say you traded some paint, so does that mean there are some marks on his car? Should be easy enough to analyze that.
He probably already took it to the shop if he's trying to get out of this though I bet... A shame the cops didn't take your word for it at the scene and charge him and impound the car! I really hope this works out. What a douche. I hope he comes to his senses and realizes he won't be able to live with himself if he doesn't take responsibility.

Another thought. Sounds like a bad spot for a turn. Aside from the idiot's reaction, is it that surprising that he hit you? Are there any warning signs coming up the road about hidden driveways or anything? Obviously you shouldn't go ripping over a hill faster than you can stop in time to see what's on the other side...But maybe it's just a poorly designed road and that was a factor in what happened...
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Wow, that really sucks! I hope that, if they do not catch him, Karma takes care of it. Sounds like he was elbow deap in shit already!

Get well soon man!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote