User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
cbrandon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
BUM Rick Mayer Seat... ANY IDEAS??

Just purchased a pre-owned Rick Meyer seat from an inmate on here. Got the seat in... when locked in, the seat pan is so mis-shaped that it does not align with the tank at all (does not fit flush against the sides or lay on the foam strip in the front).

I called Rick Mayer and he mentioned that if the leather was not properly treated, it could have shrunk and pulled at the seat pan. He recommended that I use a heat gun to heat and bend the seat pan. After doing that, The seat pan is now bent properly (sides where knees fall corrected), however when locked in to either position (short or tall) the front is still 1" to 1.5" from resting in its proper location up against the tank.

The only way that it is somewhat corrected is if I put the back in the tall position, and the front in the low position. But when doing that... the seat cannot lock in and the passenger pillion does not have space to lock in either.

I am at my wits end with this seat but I'd like to not think that I've wasted this chunk of change. Anyone have similar issues? Anyone have any ideas??

This is before the "heat and bend"

cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
I suppose you could treat the leather and see if it relaxes a little bit.

All 3 of my GS seats have a 3/4" to 1" gap there so 1-1/2" doesn't seem too bad. If it's comfortable, who cares what it looks like?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Looks exactly like my Russell. I have treated the leather and it is what it is. I use the extra space to tuck my sheepskin cover into. Unfortunately, I live in the desert and do not have a garage so the bike is exposed to the elements. The condition of the leather is good but the pan has warped a little.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
cbrandon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I suppose you could treat the leather and see if it relaxes a little bit.

All 3 of my GS seats have a 3/4" to 1" gap there so 1-1/2" doesn't seem too bad. If it's comfortable, who cares what it looks like?
It's not about what it looks like. It feels like i'm on a hinge. When I brake, I rock forward until the seat contacts the tank. It isn't a planted feel at all. I'm starting to think that I might just get a seat concepts seat. Try to sell the rear rick mayer seat. Maybe I will try to treat the leather.
cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
My oem seat was that way also. After I recovered it, it has that gap still. Mine doesn't rock though.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
You could remove the staples at the front to let it relax a bit, and them staple it a little looser. When the covers are put on they are usually pulled tight enough to pull back the plastic some, since a wrinkle free fit is usually desired.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Just a thought, but that seat looks far enough out of wack with the bike that it makes me think it is not for your bike model! Could it be a 1200 seat on a 1150 bike?? Just seems to far out of marching for warping, I mean it is seriously wider than the bike.