User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
jj le roux OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Touratech Shocks

Anybody here fitted a new Touratech shock on the old 800gs or even seen test results? Wonder how it compares to the Ohlins and the Wilbers
jj le roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Do you mean the new extreme shock?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
I think the Ohlins shouldn't be compared to any of the fully adjustables on the market.

Just because it has the gold fancy word on it, doesn't mean it's good.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
I think the Ohlins shouldn't be compared to any of the fully adjustables on the market.

Just because it has the gold fancy word on it, doesn't mean it's good.
IN the name of the Sky Moose.....where do you get off with common sense and accurate assessments?

I whole heartedly agree. The cafe latte crowd say I'm raving mad and don't know what I'm on about.

Load the BuMW up and take it "off road" (a novel concept for some) and the Ohlins is pure shit. No anti bottom out, completely linear compression, no compression adjustment....what the hell were they thinking?

I did 3 resprings and 2 revalves and it's now "nice" in a 2 up take things relatively easy kind of way. Sure, I can push the boundaries of sensible on occasion...but get nasty with it and it's a soggy bag of shit.

I don't like riding "nice". I want to get "nasty" with it. It screams out for me to get funky when solo on a fire trail, and the bolt of lightning up my spine when I hit the first real "bump" is totally annoying.

I have the front end sorted to my satisfaction, and now I'm thinking of something better for the rear. Maybe this Touratech shock of which they speak? Maybe I'll build a hybrid from the various MX shocks in the garage.

But the Ohlins is on borrowed time either way. I consider it an utter waste of the total $2300 it's cost so far.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
I cannot agree more with what snowy said. I have replaced countless lower clevis, broken shock shafts, seal heads, and even one broken piston. I've seen a trend with their units, which is why I only sell a few of the units (on road applications). I am the only tuner in the US that has the tooling and know how to take these apart and service them. I was truly impressed with the quality, design, and valving stacks that came STOCK.
Touratech even required a few really nice features for the long distance adventure rider. All units have a threaded body cap, whereas 95% of other aftermarket units have the standard clip holding the seal head in place. The reasoning for this feature is if you we're to have a shock failure there is not a chance of the seal head retaining clip coming out if you lost a nitro charge. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had customers come in with a few aftermarket units that had the seal head loose, or just about to come off. The machining required to add that feature is expensive, but its little features along these lines that make these units great.
I delivered a expedition shock to a customer today with my fork conversion on a 2011 F800GS.

Konflict Motorsports screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 08:24 PM
Konflict Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj le roux View Post
Anybody here fitted a new Touratech shock on the old 800gs or even seen test results? Wonder how it compares to the Ohlins and the Wilbers
Which models are you speaking of? Explore, explore hp, expedition, or extreme. I have tested every model on the F800's.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Which models are you speaking of? Explore, explore hp, expedition, or extreme. I have tested every model on the F800's.
Could you give a quick review on the LVL 2 please? That's the one I'm considering and the only thing I read about is on the Touratech page so nothing real life, impartial etc.

Cheers,

Tom

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Could you give a quick review on the LVL 2 please? That's the one I'm considering and the only thing I read about is on the Touratech page so nothing real life, impartial etc.

Cheers,

Tom
Tom,
The level 2 shock or expedition unit is another quality rear shock. It obviously lacks the PDS bottoming circuit which can be added at a later date if you desired. Having the adjustable high and low speed compression adjustments really allows the rider to fine tune the unit. This really helps when riding fully loaded vs. not or carrying a pillion or not. These unit's (extreme and expedition) share everything the same minus the PDS.
Is there anything I can answer specifically?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Tom,
The level 2 shock or expedition unit is another quality rear shock. It obviously lacks the PDS bottoming circuit which can be added at a later date if you desired. Having the adjustable high and low speed compression adjustments really allows the rider to fine tune the unit. This really helps when riding fully loaded vs. not or carrying a pillion or not. These unit's (extreme and expedition) share everything the same minus the PDS.
Is there anything I can answer specifically?
Ah great thanks, so several things:

How exactly is the RDS added to the shock?
My main concern is that the lvl2 won't erase the wobbling rodeo of mixted pavement on the street and could bottom out when loaded offroad.
Since I've never owned a bike with high and low speed compression adjustments on shocks I'm afraid that I won't be able to appreciate the real quality of the shock and that I won't be able to adjust it how it's supposed to be. That's why I am considering the lvl2 shock that is basicly as easy to adjust as stock.
Now that I have some hyperpro progressive springs I feel that the back isn't stiff enough to cope with harder cornering and when adjusting the back every wobble on the street goes right back in my spine.

So please tell me Shock Guru what is the solution for me

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
shin938
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Konflict Motorsports
Do you know if its possible to have a touratech rear shock for 1150 ADV with remote reservoir and high/low compression adjustment? like the expedition for the 1200?
what about the suspension travel? will it be the same or less then as OEM?
shin938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin938 View Post
Konflict Motorsports
Do you know if its possible to have a touratech rear shock for 1150 ADV with remote reservoir and high/low compression adjustment? like the expedition for the 1200?
what about the suspension travel? will it be the same or less then as OEM?
Shine,
I haven't done it before, but I don't see why I couldn't build you one. I could take the remote reservoir off lets say they Expedition series shock for the BMW F800GS and modify it to the Explore HP. It would maintain the stock height of the GS Adventure.
Pricing and parts availability would be something I would need to follow up with if you are serious.
PM me for any other questions you might have.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
shin938
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Shine,
I haven't done it before, but I don't see why I couldn't build you one. I could take the remote reservoir off lets say they Expedition series shock for the BMW F800GS and modify it to the Explore HP. It would maintain the stock height of the GS Adventure.
Pricing and parts availability would be something I would need to follow up with if you are serious.
PM me for any other questions you might have.
Sent you a message.
shin938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
jeff34
aventurier français

Oddometer: 18
ohlins + toutatech

I 'd mounted bitubo kit and a Wilbers shock but I have exploded bitubo kit and I wanted to better
then, I have sought the best for our 800
I have put the TTX22 ohlins kit into the fork and shock touratech extrem
I have not handled it as best as possible, but even with the first basic settings, it's awesome
jeff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Can you tell us a little about the extreme ? Is it awesome ?

Did you adjust it's length at all ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Can you tell us a little about the extreme ? Is it awesome ?

Did you adjust it's length at all ?
RMH
The extreme shock is top shelf! If you are the type of rider who rides aggressively, or fully loaded off-road this is the shock for you. The ability to have bottoming control with this unit is in line with the bottoming circuit found on the KTM Adventures and smaller bikes. It is a bit different by design but essentially works in the same manner. I did have some time to play with the adjustable ride height future which is nice to have as you can truly customize the shock per the rider without and significant modifications! I was truly impressed with my testing session with the extreme unit.