User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
UK + Ireland 2013

OK, its not some exotic destination (depends to the fact if you think riding on the left lane is exotic...) but the next 3 weeks we (me and my friend Michiel on his GS1150) will be doing the UK and Ireland.

Starting off at the Tan Hill Inn (highest pub in England, google on it)

I'll try to keep you posted on the progress.

We really had a great time here in Yorshire and the Lake District. The passes and the landscape we have done yesterday, really exceeded all my expectations... Its a crossover between Norway, the Alps and the Pyrenees mountains; steep climbs up to 30% are no exceptions!

The Tan Hill Inn (Google on it) really is the place you need to visit when touring the UK. Great place, great hospitality and great value for money. Its the 2nd time I have stayed here, and the third time is already booked in advance.

Just a few snapshots... more will follow later.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

the first pics...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Steve canyon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nice

I must admit I wasn't expecting that... Beautiful..

I knew about the Guinness...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Lovely pics, I shall be following your trip and look forward to your Irish bit . Are there four of you?
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve canyon View Post
I must admit I wasn't expecting that... Beautiful..
I knew about the Guinness...
It caught me too, Steve. It really did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
Lovely pics, I shall be following your trip and look forward to your Irish bit . Are there four of you?
Just arrived with the 19:00 ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. And celebrated with Irish Coffee as a starter...

2morrow its off to visit the ancient archaeologic sites of Newgrange (apr 40 miles north of Dublin) and from there, straight on to the west coast (Galway). Ill keep you guys posted.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
BSTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I'm in! A trip to Ireland is always something interesting, we will see.
Ciao Gero
BSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Looking forward to more. I always enjoy ride reports from the UK and Ireland; something about a different perspective I suppose.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,145
Sweet !

Thanks for the heads up .

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics, pics, pics... and Rain

Finally ended up in Castleisland. Tomorrow its of to the peninsula of Dingle and the Ring of Kerry. Updates to come soon. Today we did the Burren (from Galway). Stunning landscape, out of this world.

Forget about the Cliffs of Moher. They are for tourists, not for travellers. In stead, turn left to the R480 right after you have passed the town of Ballyvaughan (Coming from Galway via N67 and turn left to the R480) its one of the most beautiful patches of road I have seen World Wide.

Finally some time to sort pics out. Maybe a few doubles, they are from the start of the journey. And finally... Some rain.

Tonight a nice meet-up and diner with ADV-member Trey Hall from TX. You meet the nicest people when travelling by motorcycle...

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
mka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Hello Two Plugs

welcome and failte to Ireland.............!!!

Are you coming up Donegal way by chance ?

In any case have a mighty time.......................!!!!

mka
mka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

I see you have just been to the Burren , nice
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today its a relaxed day. We will have an easy start and ride to our next accommodation in Kenmare. Michiels rear suspension is more or less bashed (I'm not allowed to make any more BMW related jokes in his presence... ;D ). Tonight (or tomorrow) we will meet up with a local offroad rider which we met in a pub last night. Having a look if we can reach Windy Gap from Kenmare; which should be more or less unpaved. But chances are that the road (or what has been left of it) is badly damaged due to the rainstorm which caused the landslide on Conor's Pass two days ago.

Will be staying in Kenmare for two nights, so if we can ride, the luggage will be left at the B&B.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Beare Peninsula: Kenmare to Kinsale

Today the the Beara Peninsula was put on the SatNav. ALL top. And then the Healy Pass ... If you where riding the spectacular Trolstiggen in Norway, really. Even with fog and drizzle it's still beautiful. Before you ride the Healy Pass, the R573. Takes you off the main route, beautiful little coastal road. Totally top, can provide the *.gdb file if needed. After the Beara Peninsula we drove towards Kinsale, now slightly more inland. What an magnificent country Ireland is, truly beautiful. And what is it wonderful that the Irish on Sunday are all in the (Catholic) church ... the road is divine empty and fully to our disposal ;) .

Despite the heavy Catholicism in Ireland on Sunday all supermarkets are open. Where in the Netherlands politicians are debating endless on Sunday openings for shops, you can just pick up a fresh roll or do shopping across Europe. Would almost emigrate to a country where secular actually is explained ... as secular if it wasn’t for the fact that living in The Netherlands is so amusing and pleasant... : P

Pics will follow ASAP. Tomorrow a rapid but winding 160/175 km (110 miles) ride to our next stopover. Then, on Tuesday, yet another highlight in Ireland will follow: The Wicklow Mountains and the Old Military Road just below Dublin. Ireland is GREAT. And the rain? It belongs to it. Proper tyres and proper clothing and it won’t bother you for a sec!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
pavlos79
Stuck in an Island

Oddometer: 76
Really nice pics!
Keep them coming!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Today the the Beara Peninsula was put on the SatNav. ALL top. And then the Healy Pass ... If you where riding the spectacular Trolstiggen in Norway, really. Even with fog and drizzle it's still beautiful. Before you ride the Healy Pass, the R573. Takes you off the main route, beautiful little coastal road. Totally top, can provide the *.gdb file if needed. After the Beara Peninsula we drove towards Kinsale, now slightly more inland. What an magnificent country Ireland is, truly beautiful. And what is it wonderful that the Irish on Sunday are all in the (Catholic) church ... the road is divine empty and fully to our disposal ;) .

Despite the heavy Catholicism in Ireland on Sunday all supermarkets are open. Where in the Netherlands politicians are debating endless on Sunday openings for shops, you can just pick up a fresh roll or do shopping across Europe. Would almost emigrate to a country where secular actually is explained ... as secular if it wasn’t for the fact that living in The Netherlands is so amusing and pleasant... : P

Pics will follow ASAP. Tomorrow a rapid but winding 160/175 km (110 miles) ride to our next stopover. Then, on Tuesday, yet another highlight in Ireland will follow: The Wicklow Mountains and the Old Military Road just below Dublin. Ireland is GREAT. And the rain? It belongs to it. Proper tyres and proper clothing and it won’t bother you for a sec!
Good for you, glad you are enjoying your trip here and no bothered by a bit of rain. It does stop sometimes....................I promise
Looking forward to more pics.