User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Motion Pro - BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool

So I gave these Motion Pro tools a try today for the first time BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker.

So will it break the bead on the rear wheel of the Adventure? Yep sure will, quite well in fact. You have dick about a bit to get "fork" part in far enough, but it once there it pops it off straight away.

Is the lever part any good? Not really to broad and flat - I reverted to my normal spoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.

ciedema screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 06:56 PM
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94
Hi
I have an Abba bead breaker ,great bit of kit.
http://abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=11
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by howl View Post
Hi
I have an Abba bead breaker ,great bit of kit.
http://abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=11
Yeah but that is a bit big to throw in a tool bag

I actually brought these for on the road, travelling. For that purpose they work well.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
The Motion Pros are nice but don't accomplish anything that 3 stubby irons won't.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
The Motion Pros are nice but don't accomplish anything that 3 stubby irons won't.
Your a better man than me! I can't break the bead with stubby tire irons or even my spoons - and don't really like using the stand to do it.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
I'm really not trolling, or trying to cause a heated whatever... But why do you need to use a bead-breaker? Just plonk the wheel down on some soft ground, put your heel on the bead-wall, and let your body weight do it all?

Or am I the only one that is 100kg (+)? Been doing this since a kid though, and never a bead not broken.... Getting the damned bastard things to seat and pop correctly is a different story..!

Sorry to hijack, just really curious as I see this all the time and have never understood.
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
I'm really not trolling, or trying to cause a heated whatever... But why do you need to use a bead-breaker? Just plonk the wheel down on some soft ground, put your heel on the bead-wall, and let your body weight do it all?

Or am I the only one that is 100kg (+)? Been doing this since a kid though, and never a bead not broken.... Getting the damned bastard things to seat and pop correctly is a different story..!

Sorry to hijack, just really curious as I see this all the time and have never understood.
I can do that with anything other the 4" rim on the back of the Adventure, generally not even that extreme, a quick lever under the edge of the rim and bang it is done, but I can't do it this rim due the safety bead. I could be to unco though :)

Getting it to seat is no problem, little soap and they will sometimes pop on at 20psi, mostly a little more.

I actually like changing the tyre, once the bead is broken comes off and goes on really easy.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,712
Craig was mounting and dismounting Hidenau K60's which have really stiff beads.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
[QUOTE=ciedema;21370657]I can do that with anything other the 4" rim on the back of the Adventure, generally not even that extreme, a quick lever under the edge of the rim and bang it is done, but I can't do it this rim due the safety bead. I could be to unco though :)

I agree; bought these and received a week before my first flat on the 950; very lucky for me. They work like a charm. The easiest I have ever had actually and it was the rear. Nicely made as well.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Your a better man than me! I can't break the bead with stubby tire irons or even my spoons - and don't really like using the stand to do it.

It's easy you could do it for sure, put three irons in the bead a few inches apart, push down the outer two and pry up with the middle one it's the same principle as the MP units.

PG007
Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
It's easy you could do it for sure, put three irons in the bead a few inches apart, push down the outer two and pry up with the middle one it's the same principle as the MP units.
Yeah, right-- I'll believe that and alchemy work when I see it actually happen.

I have had nothing but bad luck working with the rear tires on my bike: I have broken or discarded several lauded and well-regarded tools attempting to do so, and have been seriously considering the unfortunate but prudent prospect of giving up backcountry travel (the very reason I bought a 990) because if I flat a tire out there, I have no way to fix it.

I have seen this MP bead breaker favorably reviewed in a national magazine, and I've seen it offered for sale at KTM Twins. I hope it works because it may well be the last hope I've got for breaking a bead away from the 5' bar & trailer spare that I know work for me, and I know painfully well the quoted method doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I'll read on & decide whether I want to purchase yet another bead-breaking tool...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post

I have had nothing but bad luck working with the rear tires on my bike: I have broken or discarded several lauded and well-regarded tools attempting to do so, and have been seriously considering the unfortunate but prudent prospect of giving up backcountry travel (the very reason I bought a 990) because if I flat a tire out there, I have no way to fix it.

I have seen this MP bead breaker favorably reviewed in a national magazine, and I've seen it offered for sale at KTM Twins. I hope it works because it may well be the last hope I've got for breaking a bead away from the 5' bar & trailer spare that I know work for me, and I know painfully well the quoted method doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I'll read on & decide whether I want to purchase yet another bead-breaking tool...
I have done with the side and center stands - not a big fan of either method, they work but are awkward imho. I have used the tyrepliers - okay but slow.

Short of a lever based bead breaker the MP tools are fantastic. Some times you need to take a couple goes at it about 6" apart but they work. I have even used them on cold day in NFL on K60s, which was a horrid tyre change.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Ahhh ya got me, I totally made it up, pulled it straight outta my ass!Open your mind and give it a try.

Here's a man in flip flops practicing a bit of alchemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbe2P1gN_PM

PG007
Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
So I gave these Motion Pro tools a try today for the first time BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker.

So will it break the bead on the rear wheel of the Adventure? Yep sure will, quite well in fact. You have dick about a bit to get "fork" part in far enough, but it once there it pops it off straight away.

Is the lever part any good? Not really to broad and flat - I reverted to my normal spoons.
I just bought a pair of these, had $40 of gift card credit @amazon and $53.46 wasn't as obnoxious as the list-price. I've tried the side-stand trick and it's worked sometimes (but not always). I figure I'll try these. If they are no better I can turn-em around in the Flea Market.

[edit: also saw this guy raves about them (about half way down): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=180 and if you look at the video of Schofield Pass embedded in the previous thread post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=149 you'll see that they all know a thing or two about bikes]

crazybrit screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 05:18 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
I dont get it

Every time I see this and other threads about bead breaker solutions, I simply just don't get it. Why the ferk do you want to spend money, or lug shed loads of weight in the case of some solutions out there??? Motion pro forged ally spoons are the bollocks. These supposed tire breaker spoons are not, don't fit in yer hand nice or give you the leverage the proper tools do. They are an abortion frankly.

Guys. The side stand solution. Works. Every time. I am a slim 51 year old and I can do it alone. In the bush.

WTF bother?

WTFV online, just put it in a youtube search.

Case closed.
Next....
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote