User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
tanker253 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
First oil change

Hello, Just put the first 1000km on my new 990 adventure and managed my first oil change. (Took 6 hours lol). But when I added the fresh oil after following the Manuals guidelines 3 liters barely wets the dip stick. Is it common for anybody to add more then 3 liters. I just don't want to over fill it.

Thanks

Oops.. Sorry. Posted in wrong category

tanker253 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 10:26 AM Reason: Posted in wrong category
tanker253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
My 2008 Super Enduro takes 3.6 liter after an oil and filter change...
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,097
My 990 takes 3 liters.
Did you put in 2.5 liters, warm the bike up, add another 0.5l and check the dipstick? Mine is usually right on.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Night Shadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Mine did the same thing. 3L barely got dip stick wet. Measured the oil that came out and it appeared to be 3.2L so I added 0.2L and that put me slightly above the full mark. Going to try a little less next time.
Night Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker253 View Post
Hello, Just put the first 1000km on my new 990 adventure and managed my first oil change. (Took 6 hours lol). But when I added the fresh oil after following the Manuals guidelines 3 liters barely wets the dip stick. Is it common for anybody to add more then 3 liters. I just don't want to over fill it.

Thanks

Oops.. Sorry. Posted in wrong category
Why does it take so long to change the oil on a 990 KTM ? I am just curious. I am not the most mechanically inclined and I did my 3000 mile oil change on my GSA and it only took me an hour. Only 4 screws on the skid plate and then you have access to the filter and the oil drain plug.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
3.0 L is perfect. Do not add more or you will over fill. It'll read a bit low until the bike gets fully warmed up. And I don't mean letting it just sit and idle. I mean after you've put 3.0 L in and go for a decent ride, preferably at highway speeds. Come back and check the dip stick and it'll be right on the full mark.

Re: oil change taking so long. It doesn't. I just did my first oil change on my 990 a week ago or so. It took 45 minutes. You don't need to remove the gas tank. Heck, I even checked and swapped out the oil reservoir screen without the tank removed.

Firstly, remove dip stick from oil reservoir, drop the skid plate, pull the engine drain plug to drain off engine oil, swap oil filter, swap or clean oil screen.

While the engine is draining off I move to the oil reservoir. You can get at the oil reservoir drain plug without removing the tank. In order to drain off the reservoir's oil without getting it all over the place, just use a small funnel, and tuck it in there under the drain hole. I prefer the Flo Tool 'Tight Spot' rubber funnel:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...-1_-1&pt=N0027

If you put a length of clear hose on the end of the funnel it makes it even easier. I let that drain off.

Now I remove the bottom fuel tank bolt from the side where the reservoir drain plug is. Don't remove the top two. This allows the tank to swing out on the bottom a bit, giving you easier access to the oil reservoir screen. Using a long extension ratchet you can get at the two bolts for the reservoir oil screen. Clean or swap. Reinstall.

Now button everything up. Reinstall both oil drain plugs with new washers. Make sure to reinstall oil filter lid and oil screen lid. Be sure to use a torque wrench and follow torque guidelines. The 'good n' tight' method will get you into trouble quick, as humans typically overshoot proper torque by ~5 Nm when we do it by 'feel'.

Now pour 2.5 L of fresh oil in the reservoir. Put the dipstick in. Run the engine until 6 bars on the temp gauge show up. Then shut the bike off and pour the remaining .5 L in the reservoir.

You're good to go.

I suspect the next time I do it it'll take 30 min.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
First oil change, what oil are y'll using? The stuff in the owners manual? Motorex? I'm running Amsoil in my Hayabusa... Just wondering.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote