ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Wicked SF Bay Area: I'll be talking about lane splitting on TV this weekend

I'm representing LaneSplittingIsLegal.com (I run the site) on ABC 7's "Beyond the Headlines" this Sunday at 10 AM, talking about lane splitting, sharing the road, moto safety, etc. The CHP, Walk SF and the SF Bike Coalition will also be on the show. Tune in and check it out! It'll be good for a laugh, if nothing else. Never mind all that Mother's Day stuff, right?

SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
This is a very good thing. Good on ya for getting on board. I notice not many of the ADV crowd could give a Rat's Ass about this issue as NO ONE
has responded with support.

Remember guys ... when Lane Splitting goes away, you'll know who to blame!

In addition to safety issues I'm hoping you get time to bring up all the BENEFITS motorcycles bring to Bay Area commuters and society in general.

Many years ago Cal Trans and other agencies supported MC commuters, siting the below issues, confirming bikes were easy on the environment and would ease congestion. What happened?

In recent years these same agencies have PULLED BACK support for riders.
I would ASK WHY they are not 100% on board with us ... remind them of the issues I've sited below and ask why all they do is give LIP SERVICE. This is a no brainer ... a Win Win for everyone.

A few points to bring up:

1. Virtually negligible damage to the roadway from motorcycles.
2. Generally very low fuel use ... 45 to 65 MPG if you average out all bikes.
3. Modern bikes produce very low emissions. (Please don't mention vintage HD's! )
4. 4 bikes to ONE parking space.
5. Bikes reduce congestion on the Freeway and in The City
6. San Francisco has the highest number of motorcycle commuters in the nation. (this according to a study done by City Bike years ago)
7. Lane Splitting means EVERYONE gets to work sooner.

Good luck with the show. I hope they don't bo-guard your air time and you have the chance to say what needs to be said in this matter.

City Bike fought with Cal Trans, CHP and the City and County of SF for decades. (I am a former contributor to CB, when Brian Halton was publisher). They gave lots of Lip Service ... and it was City Bike that forced The City to install the hundreds of MC parking in the financial district ... which was mandated to be FREE. Not any more! WHY? Don't they want to
encourage people to RIDE TO WORK?

Good Luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 1,127
Still wrong. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878095)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861434

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831278

The ADV West subforum is usually slow on weekends and if you take a moment to think it through, it makes sense. Beyond that, why continue to post your misinformation and disapproval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This is a very good thing. Good on ya for getting on board. I notice not many of the ADV crowd could give a Rat's Ass about this issue as NO ONE
has responded with support.

Remember guys ... when Lane Splitting goes away, you'll know who to blame!

In addition to safety issues I'm hoping you get time to bring up all the BENEFITS motorcycles bring to Bay Area commuters and society in general.

Many years ago Cal Trans and other agencies supported MC commuters, siting the below issues, confirming bikes were easy on the environment and would ease congestion. What happened?

In recent years these same agencies have PULLED BACK support for riders.
I would ASK WHY they are not 100% on board with us ... remind them of the issues I've sited below and ask why all they do is give LIP SERVICE. This is a no brainer ... a Win Win for everyone.

A few points to bring up:

1. Virtually negligible damage to the roadway from motorcycles.
2. Generally very low fuel use ... 45 to 65 MPG if you average out all bikes.
3. Modern bikes produce very low emissions. (Please don't mention vintage HD's! )
4. 4 bikes to ONE parking space.
5. Bikes reduce congestion on the Freeway and in The City
6. San Francisco has the highest number of motorcycle commuters in the nation. (this according to a study done by City Bike years ago)
7. Lane Splitting means EVERYONE gets to work sooner.

Good luck with the show. I hope they don't bo-guard your air time and you have the chance to say what needs to be said in this matter.

City Bike fought with Cal Trans, CHP and the City and County of SF for decades. (I am a former contributor to CB, when Brian Halton was publisher). They gave lots of Lip Service ... and it was City Bike that forced The City to install the hundreds of MC parking in the financial district ... which was mandated to be FREE. Not any more! WHY? Don't they want to
encourage people to RIDE TO WORK?

Good Luck!

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861434

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831278

The ADV West subforum is usually slow on weekends and if you take a moment to think it through, it makes sense. Beyond that, why continue to post your misinformation and disapproval?
Back to Trolling again eh? Mods will get another notice about you.

Misinformation and disapproval? Are you not in support of the points I made about motorcycles, lane splitting and traffic? BTW, do you commute daily to San Francisco? Or anywhere? Uh huh.

Hey Einstein, why don't you go Troll on some other thread? You totally derailed Mario's Marin riders thread. You posted an absurd Video of a fucking Movie crew? What was that about genius? NO relevance to what we were talking about.

BTW, i've been on two of Mootuno's rides. Where were you? (not the Mendo rally)

I helped cover Lane Splitting, MC Parking and Safety for City Bike for about 20 years. Were you riding 20 year ago?

If you have something POSITIVE and smart to contribute here .... lets hear it. Otherwise, STFU!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 1,127
Again, this thread is about lane splitting, not your misinformation and disapproval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Back to Trolling again eh? Mods will get another notice about you.

Misinformation and disapproval? Are you not in support of the points I made about motorcycles, lane splitting and traffic? BTW, do you commute daily to San Francisco? Or anywhere? Uh huh.

Hey Einstein, why don't you go Troll on some other thread? You totally derailed Mario's Marin riders thread. You posted an absurd Video of a fucking Movie crew? What was that about genius? NO relevance to what we were talking about.

BTW, i've been on two of Mootuno's rides. Where were you? (not the Mendo rally)

I helped cover Lane Splitting, MC Parking and Safety for City Bike for about 20 years. Were you riding 20 year ago?

If you have something POSITIVE and smart to contribute here .... lets hear it. Otherwise, STFU!

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,607
Wink

k.l., what has grifter said that is misinformtion and/or what has he disapproved of?

I'm with him, STFU.

Good luck on TV tomorrow Hooligan!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

I had no idea this was such a touchy subject 'round here.

Anyway, thanks y'all.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

And here's the video. Huge thanks to Rod for getting me this file.