User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Off to Meet the Jews in LA then Mexico

Every year around Memorial Day, members of my tribe (the Jews) who ride motorcycles, come from around the world for what's called the "Ride 2 Remember". We eat, complain, argue, eat some more and support a chosen charity that promotes Holocaust education.

i usually design a ride, either leaving from my home in Brooklyn or my place in Nashville.These rides are slab free Last year the event was in Toronto and my route was 1600 miles long and included lots of nothern Quebec. I was joined on that ride by Richard from Australia (He's the fit one)

who rented a Goldwing,

but still dressed for the VFR he rides down under.

For a living , I drive a car carrier, when I went on the Canada trip, I left it on the street in Queens. 2 minutes after getting back to the truck I was surrounded by screaming cops. Seems they had to hire temporary receptionists just to handle all the complaints from homeowners about my truck. I was told not to park anywhere in that precinct if I didn't want the truck impounded. I own a former used car lot in Nashville where I can leave the truck so on this trip, I will get a load of cars going there and put the bike on the back. So which bike.

The route from Nashville to SoCal is all backroads, lots of mountains, some dirt. 3400 miles. My DL650A

Would be the perfect bike for this trip. Comfortable, great handling, zero mechanical issues. Dealer and aftermarket support anywhere in the world. Basically a bike that does everything well. Sure did fine in Canada

Then there's my other bike

The Victory Sport Cruiser. Only 500 of them were made 12 yars ago when Polaris was just learning the motorcycle business. Zero dealer support, heck they don't even know what it is. No aftermarket support, barely any dealers in the US, none in Mexico. Heavy, and feels heavier, eats rear tires every 3k miles, basically, a bike that excells at nothing, but i does look cool. I have reached a fork in the road and I look at the licence plate on the Victory

The Road Less Traveled! The Victory it is!

Since I hadn't ridden the bike for a year since I got the Wee, I bought a new battery, changed the oil and checked the air in the tires, replaced the unbearably loud D&D slipon with a merely annoyingly loud Victory carbon fibre one, heading to Nashville tomorrow.
vicmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
auldublinr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Attitude

This is gonna be good .love the attitude.good bikes good buds = good times .
Win win win .lots of pics please for us vicarious armchair warriors.
auldublinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Yea, good stuff
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting ready to head out to Nashvile tonight should be there Monday. I'll reregister the bike and throw the bags, tent, and extra tires on it and set out.

I would like to share my route here but I'm not sure how to do that. It's in a GPX format right now so if anyone can send me somewhere that I can put it on Google maps or some other format that I can post it her with, that would be great.

As for photos I am going to pick up a point and shoot camera when I get to Nashville, so far I'm using the phone which will limit quality. Any suggestions for a cheap (Itend to loose them) camera that takes above average photos would be helpful as well

mitch
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
hhckb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hey Mitch,
Have a great trip and above all; when you get to Orange County avoid all right turns......
-Mitch
hhckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Gpx

Hola Mr Mitch,
So go ahead and post the .gpx file and I or one of the bazillion inmates will surely create a nice map or two for you to post. I find Garmin Base Camp to be pretty easy and there are some guys who post here who are absolute GURU's. ( I'm a green pea)
For a camera stick with a Nikon, very good lenses and they're readily available for a couple hun, and some now have wi-fi though you might end up finding that feature unnecessary for the $$
Also I live near LA and it would be fun to meet you and your Hebrew Biker Gang!
Cheers
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 484
Good luck

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Flying Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I'm looking forward to the trip report!
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got to Nashville ok, doing some experimental packing.

This should work great in the twisties!

Maybe i'll ship the tires to the hotel in CA, the Metzler me880 should last the 3400 miles of this trip. After having a Michelin Pilot Power on it which stuck like glue but lasted less than 3000 miles, this feels as sticky as a bowling ball.

I didn't have any extra lighting so I took the flood lights that were on the back of my truck and mounted tham on a small ss pipe I cut to size. They are rubber with the same size bulbs as most cruiser lightbars.
If I want a more adventury look, I can flip them to be above the bar..

Mitch
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
uuuj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good luck Mitch! I'll see you in OC.
uuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Un-fun!

Muddy roads are not part of my fun things to do! You did good though.....thanks for the excitement!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
hhckb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Excellent journal....One question; Where is one supposed to spit their seeds?
Ride on brother!!!
hhckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAy 3.

I've been away from WiFi for a few days so first, I missed the tornado that went through Oklahoma and now I;ll try to catch up.

Left the campsite to do the 3rd run down the mountain and it just doesn't get old. Took a small detour and found more dirt, and a submission for "Your bike in front of an old structure" thread

Then I spent the next few hours riding up and down the fantastic roads in the Ozark National Forest, every one was a 10! Perfect road surfaces and good visability made quick work out of the curves.

Comming out of one curve, I felt the rear tire slip a bit so I slowed down to check it out and when I downshifted my foot slipped on the shifter. I looked down and there was oil everywhere and I was in the middle of nowhere. The oil level was down one quart, but was leaking profusely.

I couldn't see where because it was dripping from too many places. The sign at the next junktion said Y city 6 miles to the left, west where I was heading, someplace else 10 miles to the east, So Y City it is.

Having the word "city" in its name led me to expect a conglomeration of businesse and residences, or at least more that a gas station. As I entered the gas station there were some Harley riders there, they looked at me and started laughing. Maybe they couldn't figure out why I was wearing a large round hard hat. They left and I got some paper towels clean off the oil to find the leak. Then 2 guys on Victory Visions rode in. One said "That's an unusual sight, a Victory broken down" Accurate, though hardly helpful.

Turns out it was leaking from the plastic part of the oil cooler, not fixable. By now there was no oil showing on the dipstick, but the oil pressure light hadn't come on, and the nearest town with shops was Mena, AR, 25 miles west. i bought a gallon of Rotella, threw it in and was off to Mena.

i came to this place, the only bike shop open.

They said they could run a line to bypass the cooler, I said no, Victorys are oil and air cooled, like BMWs. they said "BMW makes motorcycles?"
I suggested they get a transmission cooler for a car and cut the tubes and splice that in. This is the result

They were very nice and didn't rip me off, though they could have.

Back to more fantasticly winding roads in Arkansas and then on the Oklahoma Ozarks when will these Exciting roads ever end. Soon enough. But there were still curves to carve, but unfortunately, no gas stations within 20 miles when my low fuel light came on. When I rolled to a stop on a small road by a farm, this guy came motoring by and asked if he could help me,
He went back to his farm and got me a little more than a gallon of gas. i showed him my route and he saqid there was no gas station for over 40 miles that way, but I could take Indian Way 25 miles to Telahema, OK and fill up there. i offered him money but he refused, saying he liked to help people. This was the first person i met in Oklahoma and it was a good omen.

Indian Way is an insane road over some mountains. There is a sign that reads "Biker Killing Curves Ahaed" I tried to turn around to get a pic but there was no way to turn around for miles.

A couple of hours later I arrived at my destination, ther home of inmate OkieGman. Wes and his family put out the red carpet for me as this was his first time hosting from Tent space and my first time using it. we had a great steak dinner and entertaining conversations, even a ping pong game.

Wes and his wonderful family are the rewards one gets from travel and belonging to a community like ADVrider. His kids are already on the way to becoming inmates

End of Day 3
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Wolfgang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Victory

I was one of the 500 who owned the Victory Sport Cruiser. Same color, too. It WAS very cool to look at, but I can second everything you have said about it. I ended up hating it and sold it cheap to just be done with it. I went back to riding a Harley, an FXDX - perhaps the best handling big twin Harley made. Alright, back to your trip....
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I was one of the 500 who owned the Victory Sport Cruiser. Same color, too. It WAS very cool to look at, but I can second everything you have said about it. I ended up hating it and sold it cheap to just be done with it. I went back to riding a Harley, an FXDX - perhaps the best handling big twin Harley made. Alright, back to your trip....
I know what you mean, but I will never sell this bike, but I think after this trip, it will do light duty cruising. I may buy a salvage kingpin or Vegas to make into a RTW project, but for now the V-Strom is my iddeal bike.