User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Jacks Journey: Traveling the west

This will be my first stab at a ride report, I had high hopes of trying to do this from the road but....I have no idea how you guys manage that.
Anyway, I'm Brian

and I've been riding with Jack

for the past few years and the past couple bikes.
Jack and I have been around Oregon quite a bit

And the coast from the NoCal Redwoods

To the San Juans

In my younger days I traveled around the world, had myself a high old time. But in 30+ years of marriage/ raising kids/ working somehow I lost the adventure urge. Well, my last kid is grown, my last wife is gone, and I have enough time and money to play now that I'm in my 50's. So the past few years the road trips have been getting longer, and further.
So Jack and I are off to San Diego and the California coast via central Oregon, central Nevada, SW Utah, and Arizona.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm Riding a Super Tenere on my trip. This is my second year on this bike and it has been absolutely fantastic. She's a pack mule.

The Trax boxes are on their third bike, and work great, They were loaded to about 30lbs each on this trip. The big Givi top box is new, and has worked very well. I keep the Givi empty most the time. It's big enough to throw in my tankbag and helmet when I take off from the bike for any length of time, and makes a gret campsite table.
I put on K60's for this trip since I planned on hitting some dirt roads on the journey. They handled the gravel/dirt really well. Sand....not so much and pea gravel was...well...never any fun. On the tight paved twistys, the held great.

I rolled out of Portland on April 19th taking hwy 26 over Mt Hood and headed for LaPine Or. and Hwy 31 down to 395.
It was dumping pretty good in the NorthWet

But once I got to the other side of the Cascades thing started to dry out nicely.
I stopped off at the Crooked river to dry out and change clothes.

You might spot the eagle that was hunting down in the canyon, he's on the left side of the canyon, about 1/3 up the photo.

I wanted to bring my SLR on this trip for pictures but it was was bigger then I wanted to carry, so I'm using my trusty old Canon G11 and the iPhone.

bkg123 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 10:02 AM
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I kind of hauled ass through Redmond and Bend, I wanted to get to unfamiliar territory. My first stop would be Hole in the ground. A big volcanic crater. Central Oregon is covered with these things. Locals told me that theres two craters, Big hole and hole in the ground. Big hole I guess is pretty overgrown with trees and brush, but hole in the ground is pretty cool looking

The wind was incredible through this area, I was a little nervous standing near the ledge, the gusts were crazy.
And hole is the only place where I managed to drop the bike.....Doh
No pictures of that. Funny thing, even when your out in the middle of nowhere, no people within miles, if you do something stupid, you still look around to see who saw it!

Next I'm off to Fort Rock.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

According to Wikipedia, this is a dry lakebed. A volcano erupted when it was still a lake. The molten rock solidified when it hit the lake bottom mud and created this stone ring. The lake dried out and the mud all washed away over time leaving this stone ring that resembles the walls of a fort thus 'Fort Rock'

An old buddy of mine was working at a power substation out here, and I was going to meet him for lunch but the wind was howling so much he never heard his phone ring so I missed out meeting up with him.
Now at this point, I was going to cut off at Summer lake down E Bay Rd and onto some forestry roads and come out near the Cali border, but a local told me there was still about 6 ft of snow up there, so I stuck to the hiway.
It was still a mighty pretty ride down through Central Oregon.

And I ended up in Lakeview Or. my first night.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Nice photos, thank you
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
great start to your RR
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote