Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,503
Well That is a great introduction to BMWs....

Bought a new to me 2008 GS1200 today from a Dealer that I trust and have good experiences with in the past.

On my virgin run I discover oil all over my right boot, leg and side of the bike....

I am none too happy, we'll see what they say Monday morning. At this point I don't want the bike anymore even if they repair it.

Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,197
At first I was thinking donut gasket improperly installed:

But the ruined paint on the valve cover smacks of a bad repaint of the valve cover, or chemical contamination.

The damaged stick coil and oil coated rubber are likely not related, but need replacing.

Let them have a look and explain the situation before you condemn the bike alltogether. It might end up being no big deal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

The rubber piece in the 3rd picture is part of the cylinder head guard, hence why I didn't see the damage when inspecting the bike at the dealership.

I did enjoy the 70 miles I did today until I discovered the problem, however I have the kind of personality wherein I will think about this every time I get on the bike, even if the dealership fixes it up.

At this point I'm going to ask them to refund me and be on my way.

At least it wasn't the final drive.......
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post

I bought an older GS b/c I wanted to run into small issues like this for the experience. I have a buddy who has the same outlook on life as you so I have a great deal of experience with your attitude. A GS is NOT for you so you are making the right choice.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I bought an older GS b/c I wanted to run into small issues like this for the experience. I have a buddy who has the same outlook on life as you so I have a great deal of experience with your attitude. A GS is NOT for you so you are making the right choice.
I expect things to go wrong on the shit box motorcycles I've owned in the past, the reason I bought a lightly used (9,000 mile) late model GS was to avoid all the picky little stuff that happens on motorcycles as the mileage goes up.

But you are right, the GS is not for me if this kind of stuff happens frequently.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,425
It doesn't happen any more frequently on a GS than any other BMW model. Ya, I too would be bummed about it....it certainly probably took the excitement out of the first ride I' m sure. But it is an easy fix, and an easy mistake to make. At least you know that your dealer was in there making adjustments before you bought it. And they should have caught it on the test ride. But you said you like the dealer and trust them...I suspect they will treat you right.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
But you are right, the GS is not for me if this kind of stuff happens frequently.
If this sort of minor problem - in a used bike, especially - is having us talk you off the ledge, you probably don't want a BMW. Or a bunch of other bikes, for that matter. A DL650 would be my suggestion.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
The rubber piece in the 3rd picture is part of the cylinder head guard, hence why I didn't see the damage when inspecting the bike at the dealership.

I did enjoy the 70 miles I did today until I discovered the problem, however I have the kind of personality wherein I will think about this every time I get on the bike, even if the dealership fixes it up.

At least it wasn't the final drive.......
Sorry to hear about such a rubbish experience on your first outing... I'd be pretty heartbroken myself...

Presumably you didn't buy this bike from a BMW dealership? If so it would have come with a used vehicle warranty lasting between 3 months and a year. Not to mention it would be less likely that a BMW mechanic would have pinched a gasket or whatever caused the leak. It sounds like a trivial issue with the mechanic, not a failure of the bike, despite being a let down on your first ride. Since you say dealership is one you trust, it would seem to me that you have history with them and it would therefore be in their best interest to make it right.

I bought a brand new Honda a few years back and had the clutch kingpin snap with 23 miles on the clock due to a manufacturing defect. Yes I was annoyed, not least because I had to wait with the bike at the side of the road for nearly 2 hours at temperatures just above freezing for the AA to come and put the bike on a dolly and tow home. But after it was fixed, I had the bike for 4 more years and not a thing went wrong. Doesn't matter who makes the bike or how old/new it is, things go wrong unexpectedly. For reference, apart from a snapped pannier lid retainer cable due to my negligence (which the dealership replaced under warranty) my BMW has been 100% reliable since new and I do a lot of riding off road.

Your OCD is a separate matter completely and not relevant to the issue with the bike or the dealership. Get the bike fixed and go for another ride on it. Consider it a cognitive behavioural therapy session for only the cost of fuel. It will be ok. I can say this because I get the same way with things like electronics (cameras, phones etc)... if I drop it and it gets a scratch or chip, I just want to throw it out... until the second scratch.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 09:30 AM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,284
Oh my God, there's no milk for my cornflakes. I'm going to kill myself. I cannot go on. Oh, the humanities!

Really?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Sorry to hear about such a rubbish experience on your first outing... I'd be pretty heartbroken myself...

Presumably you didn't buy this bike from a BMW dealership? If so it would have come with a used vehicle warranty lasting between 3 months and a year. Not to mention it would be less likely that a BMW mechanic would have pinched a gasket or whatever caused the leak. It sounds like a trivial issue with the mechanic, not a failure of the bike, despite being a let down on your first ride. Since you say dealership is one you trust, it would seem to me that you have history with them and it would therefore be in their best interest to make it right.

I bought a brand new Honda a few years back and had the clutch kingpin snap with 23 miles on the clock due to a manufacturing defect. Yes I was annoyed, not least because I had to wait with the bike at the side of the road for nearly 2 hours at temperatures just above freezing for the AA to come and put the bike on a dolly and tow home. But after it was fixed, I had the bike for 4 more years and not a thing went wrong. Doesn't matter who makes the bike or how old/new it is, things go wrong unexpectedly. For reference, apart from a snapped pannier lid retainer cable due to my negligence (which the dealership replaced under warranty) my BMW has been 100% reliable since new and I do a lot of riding off road.

Your OCD is a separate matter completely and not relevant to the issue with the bike or the dealership. Get the bike fixed and go for another ride on it. Consider it a cognitive behavioural therapy session for only the cost of fuel. It will be ok. I can say this because I get the same way with things like electronics (cameras, phones etc)... if I drop it and it gets a scratch or chip, I just want to throw it out... until the second scratch.
I understand why it appears this way to other inmates, I'll clarify.

I've run bikes with duct tape holding things on, oil leaks, crap electrics and such. But I didn't pay $12,000 for them. The price vs experience is the issue here.

I had a 450 mile trip planned for today, but instead have a broken bike and a bad attitude. Going to go drop it at the dealer now and the key in the overnight drop off box. I am going to squid it without a helmet and gear so I don't have to lug it home on my walk (another problem, nobody can figure out the right plug for my 2002 Subaru Legacy to wire the trailer.....)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:

I've run bikes with duct tape holding things on, oil leaks, crap electrics and such. But I didn't pay $12,000 for them. The price vs experience is the issue here.

I had a 450 mile trip planned for today, but instead have a broken bike and a bad attitude. Going to go drop it at the dealer now and the key in the overnight drop off box. I am going to squid it without a helmet and gear so I don't have to lug it home on my walk (another problem, nobody can figure out the right plug for my 2002 Subaru Legacy to wire the trailer.....)
Good luck with it and I'm sure your second acquaintance with the bike will be more favourable.

As for the trailer connector - maybe this helps?

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:

It shouldn't have made it on the showroom floor with that issue. It doesn't matter how cheap or easy it is to replace the gasket. I'd throw a brake rotor through the dealer's window.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
I am going to squid it without a helmet and gear so I don't have to lug it home on my walk
Yeah, that's a good reason to ride without a helmet.

You're anxiety-ridden about what is likely a simple slipped donut seal, but yet you're completely nonchalant about riding around with no protection for your brain because you don't want to "lug" a helmet home with you.

Something IS broken, and it's not just the bike.
200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
At first I was thinking donut gasket improperly installed:

But the ruined paint on the valve cover smacks of a bad repaint of the valve cover, or chemical contamination.

The damaged stick coil and oil coated rubber are likely not related, but need replacing.

Let them have a look and explain the situation before you condemn the bike alltogether. It might end up being no big deal.

Jim
Jim, I'd say you are right. Gasket improperly installed or missing completely. The stick coil was bathed in hot oil and also soaked the rubber protecter causing heat transfer and the melting. Simple fix though. New valve cover, stick coil and a few other parts and she's good to go.

08's are a good year and very easy to service yourself. Then something like this should never happen again.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
mariowink
Comfort Rider

Oddometer: 119
Simple fix

I agree about the inner gasket on the valve cover. Easy fix. It's a great bike. Fix it and enjoy it.