ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Phx,AZ The Grand Canyon Ride June 22&23-2013

Details:

A 2 days ride On June 22 & 23 that features versatile terrains for all advanced Enduro riders.
Meet and take off point : Saturday June 22 @ 6am on Bell & I-17 (@ z Waffle house). Engines will STRAT @ 6:30 am . If u want to eat arrive earlier.

Day1 : Mileage to roll ~ 170 miles off-rd
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...16&via=7,8&z=9

Day2 : Mileage is ~ 210 off-road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...p=17&sz=15&z=9

Riders must ;
Maintain vigilance to the changes of terrains & elements, double and triple check ur bikes for any lack of maintenance ,tires, suspensions, brakes, chain, sprockets, any fluids leaks , etc...
Riders must ;
Carry the neccessary tools for road side repairs + extra light weight parts ( levers, tubes, air pump, bolts nuts washers ,but most of all a first aid kit that no one should be without). Must be able to perform minor repair on bikes such as flat tire, etc...
No cut in the ride, sorry we can't control what could happen during the ride, but you can always bail out at any moment.
The route (day1 or day2) can be diverted for what ever reason that might be. I hope all goes well and we don't have to result to that.
This ride is for advanced or expert riders only. Physically must be ready to tolerate long (maybe aggravated) rides.
Must have gas tank range for ~ 100 miles.

Navigations & Communications equipments :
It's optional but it is strongly suggested , hand radio are essential and can be critical in certain situations (regrouping & call for assistance).

Adv. riders beware:
Terrains we're crossing can change dramatically , it's very versatile so u & your bike must be as well . Even though we are sometimes in a very desolate areas, very primitive roads please you must keep the look out for incoming traffic.

Hotel in Flafstaff :
We will stay @ Day inn , it's within a walking distance to any convenience .
1000 w . hwy 66 Flagstaff Az 86001
Reservation # 928-774-5221 they offer AAA discount . (rate is about $79 a night if u call earlier). Camping is always optional for the bad ass ferocious ridez.

P.S : If someone wanted to join us as chase truck, I will send you the way points via googlemaps on where to meet us taking pavement route. We'll pitch in some $$$ for gas if it's ok with all.
If we have a fair weather then it should be an Epic ride .
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 01:09 PM
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E
 
BIG-E's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,928
Hey Eddy,

The only thing I am a "expert" in is, Eating Bacon and Smirf's, do I qualify??

Sounds like a good time. Have fun!
__________________


"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Deliverator
not a replicant
 
Deliverator's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 78
Subscribed

This is looks like an inspiring ride. Is it an annual event? I'll be watching you closely although I expect to on a pavement trip at that time myself.

I am interested in your use of ham radio, I haven't noticed any other ride doing so. I am a licensed operator, KJ6MIW, myself but don't see much reference to its use in the motorcycling community.

Do you have frequencies for the USFS and NPS or other agencies active on the route that you can use to access them from amateur bands? How did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will.” -Ghandi
Deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
This is looks like an inspiring ride. Is it an annual event? I'll be watching you closely although I expect to on a pavement trip at that time myself.

I am interested in your use of ham radio, I haven't noticed any other ride doing so. I am a licensed operator, KJ6MIW, myself but don't see much reference to its use in the motorcycling community.

Do you have frequencies for the USFS and NPS or other agencies active on the route that you can use to access them from amateur bands? How did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
Yes it's an annual event that I try to organize every year if time allowed. We try not to run on pavement Az riders are hard core off roaders they don't wanna hear the word black top it's like kryptonite to Superman.
Regarding radios I just referred to the use of talkabout 2-way radios something like FRS/GMRS Radios. I got me a Motorola set of two MH230R, 22 miles range (all hazards NOAA Weather radio) 22 channels, 121 privacy codes, 2662 combinations. I mean that the minimum we can do to keep contact in case the group spread out over long distance.
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Hey Eddy,

The only thing I am a "expert" in is, Eating Bacon and Smirf's, do I qualify??

Sounds like a good time. Have fun!
Thanks Eric I hope u can join us ...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
utefan
03'XR650R
 
utefan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale - Arizona
Oddometer: 302
Sounds Awesome

This sounds awesome! I unfortunately will be out of town on the 22nd. Let me know if this gets moved to a later date as I would love to do this ride. Have a good time!
__________________
06' Honda Ridgeline
I'm at my target weight, I'm just not at my target height yet!
utefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
I am having second thoughts about scouting that scary places this Sunday for my recon ride in preps for The Grand CaNyOn Ride (day2).


Another angle of to how steep that uphill could be.
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
drdfblackm
VeeFeer
 
drdfblackm's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Safe haven from Zombies aka Flagstaff AZ
Oddometer: 794
Keep in mind Eddy I can always help out as I am sure that others would not mind doing. I am pretty sure I will hook up with you guys, but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point but I can always help out in a bind. You have my number and I can bring tools or whatever if I am not riding with you guys.
__________________
These are not the droids you are looking for.....
drdfblackm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Keep in mind Eddy I can always help out as I am sure that others would not mind doing. I am pretty sure I will hook up with you guys, but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point but I can always help out in a bind. You have my number and I can bring tools or whatever if I am not riding with you guys.
Much appreciated D. .
Quote:
but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point
I try to do it before monsoon season, u know how much I love mud ...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
drdfblackm
VeeFeer
 
drdfblackm's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Safe haven from Zombies aka Flagstaff AZ
Oddometer: 794
Not a fan of the mud either....nor horses!!!!
__________________
These are not the droids you are looking for.....
drdfblackm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme
 
Bigbugberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Oddometer: 280
Looking good Eddy!

I'm in for day 2!
__________________
I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it to you

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
Looking good Eddy!

I'm in for day 2!
Can't be fun without you ...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kevinsterner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Details:

A 2 days ride On June 22 & 23 that features versatile terrains for all advanced Enduro riders.
Meet and take off point : Saturday June 22 @ 6am on Bell & I-17 (@ z Waffle house). Engines will STRAT @ 6:30 am . If u want to eat arrive earlier.

Day1 : Mileage to roll ~ 170 miles off-rd
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...16&via=7,8&z=9

Day2 : Mileage is ~ 210 off-road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...p=17&sz=15&z=9

Riders must ;
Maintain vigilance to the changes of terrains & elements, double and triple check ur bikes for any lack of maintenance ,tires, suspensions, brakes, chain, sprockets, any fluids leaks , etc...
Riders must ;
Carry the neccessary tools for road side repairs + extra light weight parts ( levers, tubes, air pump, bolts nuts washers ,but most of all a first aid kit that no one should be without). Must be able to perform minor repair on bikes such as flat tire, etc...
No cut in the ride, sorry we can't control what could happen during the ride, but you can always bail out at any moment.
The route (day1 or day2) can be diverted for what ever reason that might be. I hope all goes well and we don't have to result to that.
This ride is for advanced or expert riders only. Physically must be ready to tolerate long (maybe aggravated) rides.
Must have gas tank range for ~ 100 miles.

Navigations & Communications equipments :
It's optional but it is strongly suggested , hand radio are essential and can be critical in certain situations (regrouping & call for assistance).

Adv. riders beware:
Terrains we're crossing can change dramatically , it's very versatile so u & your bike must be as well . Even though we are sometimes in a very desolate areas, very primitive roads please you must keep the look out for incoming traffic.

Hotel in Flafstaff :
We will stay @ Day inn , it's within a walking distance to any convenience .
1000 w . hwy 66 Flagstaff Az 86001
Reservation # 928-774-5221 they offer AAA discount . (rate is about $79 a night if u call earlier). Camping is always optional for the bad ass ferocious ridez.

P.S : If someone wanted to join us as chase truck, I will send you the way points via googlemaps on where to meet us taking pavement route. We'll pitch in some $$$ for gas if it's ok with all.
If we have a fair weather then it should be an Epic ride .
Hey Eddie, I can't make this trip but it looks like fun. Is this a route you could take a 650KLR on?
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE 449 (Current Bike)
2011 Kawasaki 650 KLR (Current Bike)
2013 Honda CRF 250 L
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
DR650SEDDY OP
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Is this a route you could take a 650KLR on?
Yes u certainly can, but I assure u by the end of the day you'll be needing a full bottle of Advil extra strength to bring down the pain, that's why I choose to ride my DRZ400 and not my 6fitty. Some of the route I've done on my DR then I redid it on my 400 and wow it was a breeze ...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
kbblue
mmmm... dirt...
 
kbblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Flagstaff
Oddometer: 285
I'm in for Sunday! Try to keep away from the wild horses on the way up this year ok?

Hey BigE I think they only have veggie bacon up here. Maybe better bring some of your own just in case.
__________________


kbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014