User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
TET plus ADV hospitality!

Garth and I were at it again the last week of April into May. Last year's TET ride was a great time and we wanted, make that needed, some more!

Having done sections 9,8 and 7 last time, we had seen most of what the TET has to offer from Duncannon PA to Atkins, VA. Our plan was to start with a repeat of section 7 from Douthat State Park to Hungry Mother State Park followed by sections 6 and 5. Both Douthat and Hungry Mother are beautiful campgrounds in VA but one of them is hard to say without the missing word.

As usual we had researched a campground for each night and planned about 175 to 200 miles of riding each day. Unfortunately, the weatherman didn't get the memo.

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

That picture shows the weather on Sunday which was supposed to be day one of riding but I'm getting ahead of the story so let me back track a little.

We trailered from CT down to Douthat Saturday in sunny, warm weather. It was about a ten hour drive. We were fortunate to get a great site directly across from the lake. The fireplace had a grate suitable for cooking the not so good steaks that we bought at a nearby Kroger store. The air was cool enough to keep the bugs away and we chowed down. It's kind of a crappy picture but it is comensurate with the quality of our steaks.

8gv screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 08:25 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We already knew rain was likely for Sunday but Monday was looking to be kind of sucky too. Riding in the rain sucks. Riding in mud and dealing with swollen streams can be good, to a point. I had done some damage to my back just prior to the trip and wanted nothing to do with lifting up dumped bikes so...

Discretion is the better part of valor.

A new plan was hatched. Sunday morning we decided to keep trailering south to get beyond the weather. The new mission would be sections 6, 5 and 4, or was that 5, 4 and 3?
Who the hell knows? We just started driving with the intention of finding a dry place to ride.

This turned out to be our best decision of the trip and I'm now glad that the rain changed our plans.

8gv screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 08:21 AM
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Of course, a mission of this importance requires sustenance so we stopped a the restaurant in Douthat for a very private breakfast. It was us, a waitress and hopefully a cook.

They're adding on a nice deck to accommodate the crowd:

Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

As we headed down I-81 it occurred to me that the rain might have some value since I had not cleaned my bike since last fall's NNEAT trip to Maine. I also learned that some guys aren't shy about putting their girlfriends in their place:

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We were hoping for Hungry Mother but the rain kept coming so the Hot Springs Resort and Campground (NC) became our goal. Grath did the driving while I did the cyphering. The website says they've got $50 cabins! But the dude on the phone says they're booked but we can have an $80 one.

Well it was any port in a storm and sleeping in a tent after all the rain seemed to invite displeasure.

Does the river really get that high?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 419
Upload to youtube. When done click share under video, check use http and copy link to here! Easy.