User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,937
Farkles for the GS-W: Put 'em all in here

I thought it might be good to have a thread devoted to the various farkles/accessories that the new R1200GS-W owners put on their bikes.

What have you ordered?

What have you installed? Did it fit correctly?

Are you happy with it/them?

Any "must haves"?

Any to avoid?

LET THE FARKLING BEGIN!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
So far, I've added a large CalSci windscreen, which I'm currently sending back for a replacement. It arrived warped badly. I installed it before I noticed it. After talking with them, they advised me to ride with it for a bit and make sure the size fits me well so they could swap sizes if needed all in one shot. Good service I'd say. The windscreen works well too, but isn't exactly sexy.

Just the other day, I added Touratech engine guards which installed easy and look robust. I also installed the Garmin Montana locking mount in place of the factory gps mount. Simple install and seems like it'll work well. However, it's a bit larger and hangs a bit lower than the factory mount so covers about half of the tach. I have plans to move it higher with a adapter if I find it bothers me too much. However, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the bike now tha I don't exactly have to stare at the tach either so I may just run it as is. We will see if it bothers me long term.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Any pics of your mods, Oz94tj?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Crocodile
Choose Discomfort

Oddometer: 61
I've found it extremely difficult to find anyone with accessories in stock. In Australia, BMW has bugger all parts available at this point. The same can be said for Touratech and Wunderlich. I've tried the US and the story doesn't seem to be better there either.

Anyway, I managed to get (1) A Large BMW Tank Bag, (2) BMW Headlight protector, (3) BMW Small Softbag (rear), (4) Hepco & Becker Pannier Removable Pannier Racks, (5) Black GlobeScout Panniers (45L + 35L) including carry handles and inner bags, (6) Cruisin Comfort Sheepskin Seat Covers, (7) Pivot Pegz (a version for the GS LC haven't yet been made, but the GS800 version seems to fit so far).

Oh and (8) I shelled out the extra $ to get the BMW GPS. I still haven't worked out whether I like it more than my Zumo 550 or whether the BMW integration is worth the extra money over the Zumo 660.

Lot's more to go - crash bars, radiator protectors, bash plate, side stand enlarger, auxilliary lights, probably higher windscreen, may be a 'rally' style seat, etc.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Yes, I expect that the aftermarket will take a little time to build up stock. Kind of wanted to get ahead of it with this thread.

How is the tank bag? I was looking for dimensions as well, but I could not find them on the BMW site.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,195
Have farkles, don't have the bike yet.

Arrived:

* Wunderlich handlebar bag. I'm going to give this a try instead of buying a full tank bag.
* Holan Nomada panniers. I think they are the only one currently available with the muffler cut out.
* Hepco Becker crash bars. Should I be worried that they arrived in a box marked fragile?

On back order:

* SW-Motech light bar. I'm going to mount the Hella Micro DE lights I took off my old GS on this.

I'm sure there will be more.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 694
So do you like the CalSci windscreen? what size did you get and how tall are you? I want to order one but am trying to figure out what size I should get. I'm 6'1" but inseem is only 32" so I have a long torso.

Thanks,
TBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
So far, I've added a large CalSci windscreen, which I'm currently sending back for a replacement. It arrived warped badly. I installed it before I noticed it. After talking with them, they advised me to ride with it for a bit and make sure the size fits me well so they could swap sizes if needed all in one shot. Good service I'd say. The windscreen works well too, but isn't exactly sexy.

Just the other day, I added Touratech engine guards which installed easy and look robust. I also installed the Garmin Montana locking mount in place of the factory gps mount. Simple install and seems like it'll work well. However, it's a bit larger and hangs a bit lower than the factory mount so covers about half of the tach. I have plans to move it higher with a adapter if I find it bothers me too much. However, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the bike now tha I don't exactly have to stare at the tach either so I may just run it as is. We will see if it bothers me long term.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
So do you like the CalSci windscreen? what size did you get and how tall are you? I want to order one but am trying to figure out what size I should get. I'm 6'1" but inseem is only 32" so I have a long torso.

Thanks,
TBob
You and I sound similarly built. I originally got a large. It wasnt bad but was warped fairly bad. They told me to run it for a bit to see if the size works before sending it back for a replacement. I find I only run with the shield in the low position when in slow traffic. Otherwise I move it up to lesson the noise and wind at my helmet. Full up with the larfe I could still see over it which I liked buton a 500 mile day where it downpoored the whole time I wanted just a bit more windscreen. In the end, I exchanged it for a XL. In the full doqn position, it still blocks a bunch of air and recently on a hot day in slow traffic I was wishing for more airflow but in bad weather and cooler weather I really like it. Its not the prettiest but it works well and their customer service is top notch.

Keep in mind that I live in Michigan though. Temps really dont get that high. I also work midnights so riding to and from work usually is only in the 70s at that time. I have rode a few times recently when it was 95 in the day which was quite warm in slow traffic but wasnt bad once moving faster. A smaller screen wouldnt have been bad then but I still wasnt riding with it in the lowest position so a smaller screen only would have been useful when I was in town riding 35 mph or less.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Does anyone else make one that you are aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
You and I sound similarly built. I originally got a large. It wasnt bad but was warped fairly bad. They told me to run it for a bit to see if the size works before sending it back for a replacement. I find I only run with the shield in the low position when in slow traffic. Otherwise I move it up to lesson the noise and wind at my helmet. Full up with the larfe I could still see over it which I liked buton a 500 mile day where it downpoored the whole time I wanted just a bit more windscreen. In the end, I exchanged it for a XL. In the full doqn position, it still blocks a bunch of air and recently on a hot day in slow traffic I was wishing for more airflow but in bad weather and cooler weather I really like it. Its not the prettiest but it works well and their customer service is top notch.

Keep in mind that I live in Michigan though. Temps really dont get that high. I also work midnights so riding to and from work usually is only in the 70s at that time. I have rode a few times recently when it was 95 in the day which was quite warm in slow traffic but wasnt bad once moving faster. A smaller screen wouldnt have been bad then but I still wasnt riding with it in the lowest position so a smaller screen only would have been useful when I was in town riding 35 mph or less.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Does anyone else make one that you are aware of?
Touratech. Sexier, but would like to hear opinions before I splurge.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:

Thanks,
TBob
Hey Tbob, my measurements are the same, let us know if you get a screen that works differently (hopefully better) compared to the stock BMW screen.

I can't say I am unhappy with the stock BMW screen but you can always improve over OEM.

My biggest problem at present is that the handlebars are too low and far away. Waiting for the Rox pivoting riser, will take the pain away from the arms and shoulders on long rides.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

I have a CeeBailey on order I'll let you know how it goes.
Yep I'm waiting on the risers as well.
Putting on my old fastway pegs this friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Hey Tbob, my measurements are the same, let us know if you get a screen that works differently (hopefully better) compared to the stock BMW screen.

I can't say I am unhappy with the stock BMW screen but you can always improve over OEM.

My biggest problem at present is that the handlebars are too low and far away. Waiting for the Rox pivoting riser, will take the pain away from the arms and shoulders on long rides.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Wicked

Up early today fighting the house wives in the store this morning. All I can say is crazy German bitches in M3s driving like they are on the Nurbergring in a parking lot will get your attention.

Anyway found the T55 so back to the hizow

No Maintenance book so I just went hog wild to see what was under the hood, being this is my first BMW bike I just had to see.

Got the SW bars installed. As was mentioned in a earlier post it was a two man job to get long bolt that goes thru the frame. I don't know the name since no book maybe someone can help me out. I have to confess I pulled the forward bolt before I realized it was the wrong one Anyone know the foot lbs need to tighten that one up, I swagged it and went to 100 foot lbs.

and I installed the P3 lights. They work with out a hitch Ill try and upload a shot video I took of the layout.

Sorry for the crap iphone vid its all I had on me.

All set for a ride to the Netherlands in the morning I need to get 500mi in for my first service. I'll be a little over when I get back but should not be a big deal!
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot

RuckedUp screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 12:45 PM
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Well, I ordered a new WC GS this week and they're quoting a delivery for mid-August. That'll be too late for a scheduled trip to Nova Scotia so the old bike will have to do, but it should be here by the time I get back.

It's a fully loaded build in Thunder Gray and besides the money to BMW, Touratech is getting a fair amount too.

Here's the farkle list that was ordered at the same time as the bike.

Zega pro panniers 38/31 L - silver anodized
BMW Vario top case
Touratech Footstand enlarger
Touratech Lower engine guards
Touratech Upper engine guards
Touratech Radiator guards
Touratech Handguard extensions

No pictures yet (obviously), but as soon as everything comes is I'll shoot some for you guys.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 843
I got the x-tall. Calsci does have a return policy if the size doesn't fit you and they have sizing info on their web site. I like the calsci but it does flex a bit in strong cross winds.

Quote:

Thanks,
TBob
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote