Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
3 months to explore the USA

Hey everyone

I'm writing this as I'm lying in my tent on my first night out on my 3 month adventure in the USA.
The basic story is: I quit my job in England, moved out of my house, sold my bike (Suzuki Bandit), and bought a bike in Norfolk, VA.
I flew over 4 days ago and I have been staying with a friend while I have been sorting out the paperwork and getting my stuff together.
I know some people may be interested, so I will add more detail about how I bought, registered and insured the bike later (I'm writing this on my phone and it's running out of battery!)

I have a couple of friends out here. One who is doing a similar trip, but unfortunately had an accident with the rear of an SUV and is now waiting for his teeth to be fixed. Again more details will follow when I have time and battery power. And another friend who is hopefully coming over in July for one month and joining me.

The bike i bought is a Yamaha V Star 1300.

As a way to get used to the bike and riding in a foreign country, on the wrong side of the road! I took a trip along the colonial parkway through Williamsburg etc.
What a great trip. Beautiful scenery, great roads, and lots of interesting history and sights. An excellent way to get used to the bike.

Anyway, after a very delayed start I set off on my new bike today, all loaded up and headed for Washington DC.

I guess I've got far too much stuff for the trip, but I'll trim that down while I go.

I got to Washington a bit late and didn't have time to find a suitable place to stay, so I have made the first mistake of the trip already. It's my own fault and i should of looked around but I had to pay $45 to stay one night in a campsite! :eek:
In definitely going to try and use the tent space thread/map for the rest of the trip.

So I'm going to explore DC tomorrow, and find a cheaper place to stay, before heading onto the skyline drive and then down the blue ridge parkway. Which I have heard much about :)

I will try to keep this thread up to date as much as possible depending on WiFi availability.

All the best
Mon the biffy
mon the biffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
GOLD!

Thats awesome.

Miguel
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
jb63
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Welcome to America.
jb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Day 2

Found a much cheaper campsite. Greenbelt Park, just off the I-95, north east of DC. $16 a night and nice and safe. It's right by the local police station. Hot showers and fairly quiet to say it's so close to the 95.

I left my stuff and went exploring DC. It's a beautiful city, the architecture is amazing and all the outstanding memorials and museums.

I stopped to take a few pictures
Nothing amazing as you can't get close to the Whitehouse and some of the other places are undergoing refurbishment.

Now onto Front Royal before going down the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 782
Excellent. More please!

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,887
Im along,can you pass some of that popcorn,lets go!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 196
I am glad to see you survived northern virginia and DC, it can get nasty driving up there.

Have fun on the BRP and keep an eye out for the wildlife, meaning the four legged kind mostly
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
two of the best motorcycle camping in the east are WILLVILLE at meadows of dan, va and BLUE RIDGE MC campground on 276, north of the parkway. both are on the BRP. plan to say a few days at each as there are many good roads leadinig from each place. I will be at willville june 20 for 4 days, with my wife in the Miata.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Cheers kitesurfer
Willeville is definitely on my list of places to stop by for a night or 2.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

*double post.
Stupid phone!

Another update to come tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Day 3

I took a steady ride over to Front Royal from DC. Trying to avoid the 'severe' thunderstorms that were passing through the area on Thursday. I managed to stay mainly dry, but I got some spray from the roads around DC. Not nice.

I arranged to stay at fellow ADV rider 5punksdad (Joe's) place in Front Royal. So when I turn up he suggested a place to eat. Spelunkers, with their awesome philly cheese steak sandwich.
We then went out for a ride in the late evening on some of the local back roads with his sons. We hid the North Eastern Virginia tag o rama he had found the other day.
Amazing roads around there and right on the doorstep, lucky man!

He put me up in his spare room for the night.

Day 4

In the morning we went for a local breakfast, before heading up the skyline drive with his youngest son. Thanks again Joe. He's a top man with a great family.

It's a good road, but quite busy and a low speed limit. I guess it's mainly for the views.

After that I had time to kill before meeting my next ADV rider. So I went for a stroll down one of the tasks of the skyline to check out a waterfall.

On my way back up I was confronted by a black bear only 2-3 metres off to the side of the trail! Needles to say I shit myself and just carried on walking as fast as i could. I'm a bit gutted I didn't take a picture, but it's the first one I've ever seen and just thought it best to get out of there.

I then carried on to Charlottesville to meet Cameron at the BMW bike shop he works at.

We had some excellent food and beer while watching some live music at a place in town call the Black Market Moto Saloon. I would definitely recommend that place to anyone in the area.

More beers were had in town at a local micro brewery before hitting the hay.

Day 5

Heading on to the Blue Ridge now :)

More to come.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Good luck!

Have a great time while here....That bike should get you where you want to go. It looks like it can handle all of your extra stuff too. Good luck and stay safe.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Great to have you and glad we could share a little part of your trip, let me know when you get close to North Dallas or Hollywood if you need people to meet up with. Safe travels.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
WooHoo....IN!!

Welcome to the USA! Do you have a game plan you could share??
I'm sure alotta folks would love to add their 2 cents as to helping you get the most outta this trip. (sounds like a ball!!)

Be careful on that crazy contraption!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Thanks again Cameron. And send my thanks to Bess for showing me around the farmers market for my breakfast.