ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 803
ADV ride on Sunday, 06/23 for Charlotte NC & Surrounding Area Riders

Just thought I'd post up to see if there is any interest in doing a ADV ride this coming Sunday, 06/23. Depending on riders and type of bikes posting up, we may just take the backroads-twisties and go to Jonas Ridge or nearby for Lunch or go explore some fireroads w/ gravel mix north of Morganton or all of the above.

Here's a photo from a ride while back. I consider my V-Strom 1K a standard bike and it handled the terrain below just fine. We can take the fireroad all the way to Linville Falls and stop off and enjoy a late lunch at Louises Restaurant.

This will be a 3/4 day ride- Kickstands up at 9:30am sharp. Plan to be back in Charlotte by 5:00pm. We can have couple of meet-up points as to allow everyone the opportunity to join the ride.

First Meeting Place: 9:00am @ Cycle Gear, Matthews NC. Kickstands up promptly at 9:30am.

Second Meeting Place: 10:15am @ Hwy 321 Heading N. I think it is a Kangaroo gas station.- Just off I-85. Take I-85, Exit Hwy. 321, make a left and there is a gas station to the right. Kickstands up at 10:30 or so and we are all off.

Post up if you are interested and let me know the bike you will be riding.

I think the weather will be fair- Only 30% chance of rain. It will be a good ride!

Thanks.

Jon
Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
guiri
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,134
I'm in! I need this!

Thanks Jon

:)

George
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
I'm in! I need this!

Thanks Jon

:)

George
Yup, you and me both! Remember to ATGATT.

Jon
Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
guiri

I'm an idiot! Dude, I completely forgot. I'm sick and I can't go. Dammit. I felt good just waking up to the point that I forgot I'm sick :(

I got sick on sunday I think.

Sorry bro.

Should something change, I'll let you know but I doubt it. Gonna try to make it
to the doc tomorrow to see what he says. Rode to Monroe and back to Marshville on Monday and barely made it home. Almost fell asleep.

Man, I don't know what i was thinking? Probably didn't even realize it was only two days away
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiri View Post
I'm an idiot! Dude, I completely forgot. I'm sick and I can't go. Dammit. I felt good just waking up to the point that I forgot I'm sick :(

I got sick on sunday I think.

Sorry bro.

Should something change, I'll let you know but I doubt it. Gonna try to make it
to the doc tomorrow to see what he says. Rode to Monroe and back to Marshville on Monday and barely made it home. Almost fell asleep.

Man, I don't know what i was thinking? Probably didn't even realize it was only two days away
George, sorry to hear that. No response so far from anyone else but I will wait until tomorrow evening. I guess that is why most of my riding is solo since coordinating with other riders and schedules require more advanced notice and far more time than I have.

Nevertheless, I always enjoy riding up old 18 and up in the mountains and plan to ride this Sunday.

Jon
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
guiri

Well, hopefully I"ll be good in a week or so.

PM me or give me a all next week. IF I can ride
I need a day in advance but only because of the dogs

Enjoy the ride

George
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm building a deck this weekend. My next ride opening is the 6th.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

I've planned out a good ADV ride for the next ride.

Planned a ride using Basecamp or Mapsource- appears to be very similar.

Here's a screenshot up 181 by Brown Mountain.

I then switched the view to Google Earth to verify that it is in fact a passable road.

Zoomed.

I plan to check it out next time I go riding. Maybe a nice ADV ride from Charlotte.

321N
Take 10 to old 18
old 18 to 181
181 and exit Old Forest Rd.

Jon
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Qc thread

why don't you post this up on the Charlotte ride planning thread, I just noticed yours and most of the group has been up that way many times?
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
why don't you post this up on the Charlotte ride planning thread, I just noticed yours and most of the group has been up that way many times?

Good idea. I am also going to finalize the GPS route and attach later today just in case an inmate has ridden this route and can offer some additional insght.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Here's a snapshot of my ride from CLT to Jonas Ridge and back.

242 miles total. 321N, Old 18, 181 to Jonas Ridge. Quick lunch and back.

If anyone wants the GPX tracks, let me know.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
Good idea. I am also going to finalize the GPS route and attach later today just in case an inmate has ridden this route and can offer some additional insght.

Thanks.

Jon
Still messing around with Basecamp vs. Mapsource but use the link to download the GPX file as I cannot post attachment in this post. Mileage is not accurate as I started the route from 321.

Take a look. We should check out this route on our next ride.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WF...cWZLVlUxWjhUQw

Jon
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
What kind of pace (casual, spirited, insane)? Not sure what's going on tomorrow yet but should know before morning.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Ok - I'll see you guys tomorrow then

I'll be there - probably going to wear the 2 piece mesh suit, but they're saying high of 85 tomorrow, and that might get a little warm. I guess I'll leave the bags on the Uly so I can bring rain gear and swap gear out as needed!

I really need to get some better gear for this area. I have an Icon Compound (Mesh/Leather mix) black 2 piece oversuit that I like, but it gets very warm. It was great for Central NY, but it's a little warm for CLT. And the Uly doesn't help - the rear cylinder gets very warm on that bike. I need to install a rider comfort kit and insulate the frame, which should help keep the heat down.

What's the plan for a lunch stop? I'm still learning the area so I'm always up for trying a new place, or can pack a lunch for the trail if that's the plan.
IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
VStromNC OP
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I'll be there - probably going to wear the 2 piece mesh suit, but they're saying high of 85 tomorrow, and that might get a little warm. I guess I'll leave the bags on the Uly so I can bring rain gear and swap gear out as needed!

I really need to get some better gear for this area. I have an Icon Compound (Mesh/Leather mix) black 2 piece oversuit that I like, but it gets very warm. It was great for Central NY, but it's a little warm for CLT. And the Uly doesn't help - the rear cylinder gets very warm on that bike. I need to install a rider comfort kit and insulate the frame, which should help keep the heat down.

What's the plan for a lunch stop? I'm still learning the area so I'm always up for trying a new place, or can pack a lunch for the trail if that's the plan.
Definitely, will stop for lunch.

Jon