User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
1 bike wreck, insurance, laywers

i recently skidded into a bar ditch on a freshly graded dirt road.
did damage to me & the bike.
i have humana medicare/aid and foremost m/c coverage.
foremost said it wouldn't pay for personal injury because no other vechicle was involved (they won't have somebody to go after).
i thought that was why we have insurance, for "accidents".
does anyone have any experience on this issue ?
retain counsel? let foremost pay bike and humana pay body damage? and move on.
if anyone has advice or experience pls pm me and we go from there...
thanks.......db
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,022
Dan,

What about the injuy's?? Whats broken? Hopefully nothing, but I herd the ribs are banged up a bit?

You aren't seeling your bike right?? Right?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,917
redeye, first thinig......you probably do not want to talk specifics of what went on until you are done with the entire process.

I am in a similar situation. Single bike crash, $$$$ medical that BC/BS paid for, then went after my auto company. I am still in the middle so I am not going to discuss details. BC/BS told me that if they did not get a FULL payment from my auto carrier they were looking for me to pay the remainder. In addition, I got a letter from them claiming that I owed an amount to them. I sent a copy of the letter to the auto inisurance company.

I am waiting to see how screwed I can be.

I ALSO ASSUMED that auto insurance would pay for my medical if I was in a wreck.

I'll PM you for an email addy or phone number AFTER mine is resolved.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
redeye, first thinig......you probably do not want to talk specifics of what went on until you are done with the entire process.

I am in a similar situation. Single bike crash, $$$$ medical that BC/BS paid for, then went after my auto company. I am still in the middle so I am not going to discuss details. BC/BS told me that if they did not get a FULL payment from my auto carrier they were looking for me to pay the remainder. In addition, I got a letter from them claiming that I owed an amount to them. I sent a copy of the letter to the auto inisurance company.

I am waiting to see how screwed I can be.

I ALSO ASSUMED that auto insurance would pay for my medical if I was in a wreck.

I'll PM you for an email addy or phone number AFTER mine is resolved.
thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Don't assume, check with your insurance agent, you only get the coverage that you buy. Pretty much everybody understands that Liability covers $ you owe to the other person for damage you did to them (property or person), and that your own bike isn't covered for YOUR OWN wreck unless you also bought Collision coverage. (If another at-fault person damages you, their Liability pays for you or your bike.)

Similar thing can happen with YOUR OWN medicals in YOUR OWN wreck. It all depends on what coverage you bought (and the laws of your state). In effect, you need to buy the equivalent of "Collision" on yourself. Otherwise you don't have it. "Only policies with personal injury protection cover injuries to you." http://www.ehow.com/facts_5731414_ca...injuries_.html
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Similar thing can happen with YOUR OWN medicals in YOUR OWN wreck. It all depends on what coverage you bought (and the laws of your state). In effect, you need to buy the equivalent of "Collision" on yourself. Otherwise you don't have it. "Only policies with personal injury protection cover injuries to you." http://www.ehow.com/facts_5731414_ca...injuries_.html
This right here. Coverage of your own injuries is sold as "personal injury protection" in some states and "medical payments" (or "med pay") in others. In most states, it's not required. If you don't have it, your motorcycle insurance will not pay for your injuries in a wreck you caused.

Liability only covers injury to others, and UM/UIM only covers injury to you if the wreck was caused by an un- or under-insured driver.

The place to look for coverage is your health insurance. Some policies exclude motorcycle/snowmobile/boat/etc. accidents, but contrary to what motorcycle insurance salesmen tell you, it's not that common.

Subrogation--and insurance generally--are a mess. If your injuries were particularly expensive and it looks like you might get stuck with the bill, it might be worth your time and money to have a brief chat with a lawyer.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
Both times I crashed badly dirt riding, I had good insurance through work, everything 100% covered.
Total bill was likely $100,000.00 with the helicopter rides and hospital stays and rehab.
Still, they tried to go after my motorcycle insurance, and kept asking about 'the other driver' and then the property owner (county/state land).
My motorcycle insurance sent paperwork that said no personal injury coverage.
My health insurance had to eat the cost.

If you do not have any, or poor coverage, you are screwed.

Our friends in Canada do not have to worry about such things...must be nice.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Dan,

What about the injuy's?? Whats broken? Hopefully nothing, but I herd the ribs are banged up a bit?

You aren't seeling your bike right?? Right?

Let me know if I can help in any way.
see the aarg site or regional forum, "redeye down" for broken details.
yes you can help.
help me sell the bike, COMPLETE. bags boots darian pant/jacket, everything but gps. even helmet, HJC modular, not arai X3, it's junk, did it's job.......