Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
bone13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Looking Bing series 64 float bowl, gasket and clip. I know I can source the gasket elsewhere if need be, but having a harder time finding the float bowl and clip. Thanks!
What bike and side is this carb off of?
I have a left side float bowl
part #13111335316
Fits
R100S 76-80
R100RS 76-84
R100RT 79-84
R100CS 80-84

New in box $35+ shipping

www.ridgerunneradventures.com
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 455
I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along. For my purposes, if I'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise I don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
i'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along. For my purposes, if i'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise i don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
+1

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along.
Do you know how to quote another post? Just do that in the flea market ad you want to link to. Then in the message editor, select/copy ALL the contents of the message.

Quote:
[QUOTÉ=oldroadie;21978702]I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along.[/QUOTÉ]
Then come over to the flea market discussion thread and post a reply. Just paste all the contents of the original ad. It'll link to the original post and include all the original text.

Or just say "In the flea market thread, so-and-so was talking about this..."

Quote:
For my purposes, if I'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise I don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
For me, and most others, I only want to see the "new post" notification in the flea market if there's ACTUALLY a new item for sale/wanted. Plenty of room for discussion elsewhere on advrider. Under normal circumstances I'd like to subscribe to the flea market. Right now it'd be a nightmare because there's way too much noise.

brocktoon screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 09:20 AM
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
Do you know how to quote another post? Just do that in the flea market ad you want to link to. Then in the message editor, select/copy ALL the contents of the message.

Then come over to the flea market discussion thread and post a reply. Just paste all the contents of the original ad. It'll link to the original post and include all the original text.

Or just say "In the flea market thread, so-and-so was talking about this..."

For me, and most others, I only want to see the "new post" notification in the flea market if there's ACTUALLY a new item for sale/wanted. Plenty of room for discussion elsewhere on advrider. Under normal circumstances I'd like to subscribe to the flea market. Right now it'd be a nightmare because there's way too much noise.
Yeah, I quote shit all of the time. The issue is how to respond to a query in the flea market without posting there to cross reference the discussion thread...it's Catch 22...

Seems like those who don't wish to use the search function are really window shopping and looking for an impulse buy. The very nature of that is contained in a different sort of advert: the classified ad. Either it's a flea market or it's classified ads...it can't be both. Flea market folks sell and discuss shit, classified folks sell shit, it ain't the same thing.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Yeah, I quote shit all of the time. The issue is how to respond to a query in the flea market without posting there to cross reference the discussion thread...it's Catch 22...

Seems like those who don't wish to use the search function are really window shopping and looking for an impulse buy. The very nature of that is contained in a different sort of advert: the classified ad. Either it's a flea market or it's classified ads...it can't be both. Flea market folks sell and discuss shit, classified folks sell shit, it ain't the same thing.

I have to admit I'm prone to a certain amount of hair splitting myself. Don't always want to make an issue of it but Old Roadie is right. A Flea Market is a social get together. A Want Ad is people trying to sell stuff for too much money.

Either loosen up or change the name to Airhead Want Ads.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:

I pointed this problem out when the new thread was set up my a mod some weeks ago. No solutions forthcoming, inc. from the mod.

I would say the spirit of the thing is to divert the bulk of the discussion, especially the longer discussions, here. It's a sink, and it isn't easily sociable. if I have a direct question for a seller, PM them. Otherwise if I want general opinions on something, post here and put a single concise post there referencing the post here. That minimizes the discussion there. It cannot be eliminated w/o some technology that apparently isn't available.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
RD400 noticed in the fleamarket thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
1977-
picked up yesterday, on its way to France. bought it from the deceased original owners son. 100% stock original, albeit a bit rough around the edges from being moved around and stored for 30 + years. 2300 miles.
As in on it's way to France now or you stopped it from going to France ?
I had my blue '77 for about ten years after buying it from the dealer I worked at. Uncrated and PDI'd it myself. Raced it, crashed it, got tickets on it (lots) and foolishly sold it.
A couple of years ago I was doing a daily search for either an R100 or an RD400 daily, the Beemer came up first, but I still wouldn't mind an RD...
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
As in on it's way to France now or you stopped it from going to France ?
I had my blue '77 for about ten years after buying it from the dealer I worked at. Uncrated and PDI'd it myself. Raced it, crashed it, got tickets on it (lots) and foolishly sold it.
A couple of years ago I was doing a daily search for either an R100 or an RD400 daily, the Beemer came up first, but I still wouldn't mind an RD...
on its way to france. I had a nice French blue 77 about five years ago, another all original 7,000 mile bike. rode it to work the day after I got it and was ringing its little neck on I-64 at about 105 (indicated) mph. WAAAAAAAA-silence. pulled in the clutch and rolled to the shoulder. 1 holed piston=1 new top end. guess she was runnin' a bit lean.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
spuh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
wotzitworth?

It's time to part with my ol' GS and I figured right here I might find the geatest repository of airhead wisdom best suited to divine an appropriate price.
She's an '88 R80GS Basic. Yes, '88, first year of Paralever, 800, no fairing; from UK. 100000 plus (200000? 300000?) Plenty of scratches and dents and dirt. Mechanically sound. H&B bags, TT tank bag & panniers.
So, inmates, I'd appreciate your feedback and collective expertise : what's it worth?
Thanks for your replies and for keeping the airheads flying.
spuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuh View Post
...She's an '88 R80GS Basic. Yes, '88, first year of Paralever, 800, no fairing; from UK. 100000 plus (200000? 300000?) Plenty of scratches and dents and dirt. Mechanically sound. H&B bags, TT tank bag & panniers...
Pictures would really help as prices fluctuate wildly on condition. Bike is from UK but where is it located now? Any service records, recent work done?

Dave
Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I get the idea in principle but I have a problem with this. As an example I have recently acquired a new large gas tank for my /6. I spent a year telling every Tom, Dick and Harry on Ebay that his /5 gas tank did not fit a /6. I had them send me a photo of the underside to confirm this. They would tell me such stuff as, "My mechanic says it will fit." I kid you not. Sometimes the issue has to be raised immediately or damage will result.

Long drawn out arguments of course. But where to draw the line. I think there has to be some leeway.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
What's an old instrument cluster worth? I've perused the ads out there but the numbers are all over the place as there are bottom feeders on ebay trying to get insane dollars for things.

As to the cluster, everything seems to work fine, but it's been around the block (odometer reads 20k, but I assume that it's rolled once), doesn't have the rubber bits around the bezels, and there's the obvious crack in the glass. It's off a '77 R100S. If you can't read it in the photo, it's a 1.244 speedo.

While I don't care about squeezing every dime out of a part, I need to, if I can offset the outlay of cash on this old bike.

Paging wirespokes!

My original plan was to hold onto everything so that the next owner could easily convert it to stock... but that ship may have sailed. Forgive me.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Knary,

Everything seems to work? Did you drive bike with this on? Do the needles bounce? All lights work?

100 to 150. The more things that work the closer to 150. if you can't be sure the speedo or tach works but just think they do then closer to 100.

The Ebay bottom feeders are 250 and up.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Knary,

Everything seems to work? Did you drive bike with this on? Do the needles bounce? All lights work?

100 to 150. The more things that work the closer to 150. if you can't be sure the speedo or tach works but just think they do then closer to 100.

The Ebay bottom feeders are 250 and up.

I ran them separately(really) and they seemed to work, but they haven't been thoroughly tested. I might install it and run it for a while as I get the bike plated and on the road, but would just assume pass it along.

Ebay prices are ... remarkable. I'm especially fond of the prices about 10% below shiny new retail for something that looks like it's been marinating in a cat's litter box for twenty years after being pulled off a totaled bike.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote