User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
haggis mctavish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
going in too hot

I am a hacker with Suzuki vl1500 heavy hack on the left, standard forks, with about 20k klms experience . being of advanced years I ride in a conservative nature however I can fly the chair in a parking lot and know when the chair is lifting.

however

I gave myself a big fright recently when I tried to attack a twisty road with a bit more enthusiasm than usual. A long sweeping left hander doing about 100 ks when I realized the bend was tightening on me more than I realized. my memory of my reaction is as follows

hard on the brakes to reduce speed however realized I was not going to make the bend and focused on a tree in the scrub where I estimated I would end up.by this time I was on the incorrect side of the road and would be dead meat should an oncoming vehicle arrive.

decided on one last effort, off the brakes all my strength into hard left on the bars we avoided the scrub just managed to stay on the road and with good fortune rather than good management managed to return to the correct side of the road unscathed

I would appreciate advice on the following

at no time did I think that tightening my line and flying the chair was an option . was it an option for me

I got off the brakes before my final steering input as it made turning the bars left easier. is this correct or should I have continued braking whilst steering

any other thoughts on my initial mistake and subsequent recovery

I have come to the conclusion that riding a hack at anything close to the limit is far more demanding than riding a solo to the same limits.

I have now returned to my sedate riding style but will be interested on members thoughts on my close call
haggis mctavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,035
Hi Haggis, Welcome to ADV. I have roughly the same amount of hack miles under me. Although mine is on the other side, I've found a method that has worked well for me. If I feel a bit too hot turning to the right (Where my hack is) I concentrate on the line I want the hack wheel to follow. This might not work for others but for me it is the right kind of "target fixation". It takes my mind off all the other things going on including possible oncoming traffic. This idea occurred to me when I was playing with my Gear Up in the Smokie Mountains and the Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap. I feel it made me faster and smoother.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 935
I've found that extra throttle will squat the drive tire more and help keep from flying too high, but afterwards I need to remove the seat cover from the neither regions.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
A technique to help keep the 3rd wheel down when turning towards the sidecar is to:
1) shift you weight inside the "triangle" -- load the inside foot peg; and
2) apply a little front brake while maintaining throttle -- in more extreme riding, you can make to back tire slip a little to bring the rig around the turn.
Both are necessary when riding my Sporster rig w/empty chair at even a slightly spirited pace.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 07:41 PM
SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 935
Lee, I think you explained it better, I.E.[in more extreme riding, slip the tire, by applying throttle to break drive tire loose.]

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
In Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox883R View Post
A technique to help keep the 3rd wheel down is to:
1) shift you weight inside the "triangle" -- load the inside foot peg; and 2) apply front break while maintaining throttle -- in more extreme riding, you can make to back tire slip a little to bring the rig around the turn.
Both are necessary when riding my Sporster rig w/empty chair at even a slightly spirited pace.
I think this is the best & simplest expression of what to do. At least for me too. This works for me so well. The fast transfer of drivers weight has been my main helping factor. I can feel the rear tire slip or shift to a better ''line''.

But usually I always shift my weight now, even if I don't need the extra stability.
Reason here is that I want to stay in the habit of riding ''in motion''. Meaning I am actively adjusting my weight left & right.

I also ask my passenger(s) to join in the riding experience by anticipating our turns. Most catch on right away & tell be later their experience as a passenger is a lot more fun than just sitting there.

Would like to add, Carson our first choice ''monkey'', a Labrador, really gets into the leaning.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,908
You were lucky there.
Target fixation is the major factor in most of the single vehicle bike crashes, such as your sunny day crotch rocket riders going across bends and through walls,into trees or free falling off bridges on corners into the valley below.
You were fixated on tree and had decided you weren`t going to make the bend...hence you were heading for the tree...as you generally go where you`re looking.

I,like most combo riders,have been in similar situations where I`ve found myself going in too hot...usually in a sequence of regular bends where one is suddenly tighter and I failed to observe the harsher 'vanishing point' of the hedges/trees/walls which give you a visual indication of the sharper bend if it wasn`t clearly visible any other way.

In these instances I`d definitely not grab or bias the front brake as has been suggested above,because that could cause the front end to tuck in and maybe lead to lifting the rear and flipping the combo....you definitely don`t want that to happen.

By all means close the throttle and brake as hard as you can on the approach,getting off the front while ultimately biasing the rear...then stop braking and get back on the throttle while focusing on the true exit point of the bend.
You`ll get round just fine...okay,the chair may well lift,but just keep the throttle smoothly opening and even if you ride it round on two wheels you`ll make it.

Been there...done it...due to a nasty negative camber left hand bend (remember folks,UK sided combo) midway through a set of regular ones while riding one of my Urals 3-up with loads of camping gear and the bastard still lifted the chair....but we made it okay.

Braking in the bend and especially hitting the front could well be a killer.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote