User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Harley rider gives GS rider some riding " tips"

So when I came out of the Mcdees in Michigan, a lady was standing at my bike,puffing away,and we struck up a conversation about bikes/ riding. While we we talking a group of 6/7 Harley's rode by,all with the loudest pipes possible,effectively drowning us out while they passed.

I commented how much I disliked pipes like that and she quickly rebutted me declaring that " loud pipes DO save lives" because.......her husband had been able to avoid "lots" of crashes by twisting the throttle with the noise from the pipes making front end crashes avoidable.

After my shocked silence I gently suggested that perhaps riding skills and proper gear " yes,we are always safe,we always wear our helmets"..... Might make a suitable replacement for ear splitting pipes,she vehemently disagreed.

Not to mention that I was thinking she may want to think twice about getting on the back of her mans bike....but I digress......

She noted that my pipes were very quiet and to be safe I should put much louder pipes on.

I toyed with the idea of bringing up the mystical powers of a gremlin bell,but I had enough to think about by then.....

I thanked her for her conversation wished her safe and happy riding and quietly rode away,blinkers blinking my intention, flashy brake light doing its flashy thing,high vis stitch,shoulder checking and thankfully was able to safely rejoin the flow of traffic unscathed,upright and in one piece,thank goodness!!!!!!

Cheers Harley rider!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,354
You shoulda' spoke up....Darla needs the business..

This STUPID loud pipes crap needs to be put to bed.

Funny side short story- we live in a very rural area, our town has less than 600 people.

A close-by neighbor recently asked me how I made my bike so quiet (a 1992 BMW K100RS4V with stock exhaust). He was surprised when I told him that mine was OEM and all the others had made theirs louder.

BTW, we are in a HD area- probably 40 or 50 Hardleys to 1 or 2 of any other brand.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,397
Front end crashes avoided huh. Failure to understand the laws of physics is no reason to think that you can break the law.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

Thank dog you are kidding.

All week long during Laconia bike week packs of life style apehangers ride past my office, actually rattling the windows.

Maybe someone wants to tell me how this makes 99+% of the population (non-MC riders) want to accept MC's right to the road.

I love bikes. But when somebody wants to impose their NOISE on me, I strongly object.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
Smoking cigarette saves lives.

I pulled in to a gas station to buy a pack and the car in front of me got rear ended by the truck that waz behind me, see...if I had'ent needed smokes I would have been in the middle.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Thank dog you are kidding.

All week long during Laconia bike week packs of life style apehangers ride past my office, actually rattling the windows.

Maybe someone wants to tell me how this makes 99+% of the population (non-MC riders) want to accept MC's right to the road.

I love bikes. But when somebody wants to impose their NOISE on me, I strongly object.

Amen brother. They don't want acceptance... except from other Village People. It's their way of "sticking it to The man", you know, defiance, emulate outlaw biker gang members.

Unfortunately, the bleeding hemorrhoids that believe it's their right to disturb the peace while claiming to be patriotic are being fueled by modern culture. http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e12-the-f-word
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,260
Quote:
Loud Pipes Shifts Save Lives!!!

Quote changed to reflect the BMW reality!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I don't get the loud pipes either, and I ride an Electra Glide, with stock pipes. The only thing I changed on the EGlide was the windshield, so I look over it. Instead of spending $5,000 on pipes, jets, chrome and skulls, I bought a 2001 BMW 1150 GS. Both great bikes, for me.
As far as tips from Harley riders, they can be as right or wrong as riders of any other manufacturer.

Mattoid1
mattoid1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!

You get the same protection from loud farts.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
You get the same protection from loud farts.

Regards
Scott Fraser
I think loud farts are actually more effective, people actually move away from you when they hear them....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
You shoulda' spoke up....Darla needs the business..
I've been away from the computer for a week but I just want to say, well played sir. I read the OP and promptly went to youtube to get some fashion tips for my lady.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

Not really, just wanted to scream that. I bought a used Harley with V&H short shots on it. They were maybe 30" long with no baffles and OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD.
Thing is, the bike ran terribly with no appreciable back pressure. I honestly don't know why you would do that to a perfectly fine motorcycle. I bought a set of stock headers with slipons for cheap on CL and the bike is so much more enjoyable now.
Now, for fairness' sake, some of the worst offenders are metric cruisers. So please don't blame Harleys for ALL of the noise.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!

Not really, just wanted to scream that. I bought a used Harley with V&H short shots on it. They were maybe 30" long with no baffles and OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD.
Thing is, the bike ran terribly with no appreciable back pressure. I honestly don't know why you would do that to a perfectly fine motorcycle. I bought a set of stock headers with slipons for cheap on CL and the bike is so much more enjoyable now.
Now, for fairness' sake, some of the worst offenders are metric cruisers. So please don't blame Harleys for ALL of the noise.
Perfectly fine? They're terrible machines on so many levels. They're like riding an anvil with metal-flake paint. And we still can blame Harleys for all the noise because they started all this dumbass cruiser "biker lifestyle" BS. If it weren't for Harley, there wouldn't be metric cruisers at all.... well, maybe Triumph, but that's it. The Japanese never would have built VTXs or Vulcans or whatever if Harley hadn't shaped the market.

I don't want to attack you personally too much,but these two points really drive me nuts.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3b_MRimbk

This sums up everything wrong with the aforementioned biker lifestyle dipsticks pretty well.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote