User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Scribe78 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
can scratched tank be fixed?

Just bought a 2010 Duke 690 in absolutely pristine condition, except for a long scratch on the right side of the tank where it scraped against something while being carelessly wheeled past by the previous owner. I bought this bike on eBay, and I'd assumed the panel could be easily replaced, as would have been the case on my SuperDuke. (I'd never examined a Duke III in person before, so I didn't know how the bodywork is segmented.) It was only after the sale was finalized that I looked at an online fiche and discovered that panel isn't part of the spoiler, it's actually part of the tank itself - which costs well over $1000. Ooops. I won't be replacing the tank!

The bike was just delivered last night. I immediately started trying to polish out the scratch with some stuff (Novus System) that has worked miracles for me on other bikes. But then I realized I was going to end up with a shiny patch in the middle of an otherwise satin finish panel. Not good, either. So now I'm stumped.

Has anyone had good results tending to scratches on KTM's satin finish plastic? If so, how'd you do it?

Thanks in advance for your input.
2012 GasGas TXT250 Pro
Scribe78 is offline   Reply With Quote