User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 605
XR650R 1x Baja 1000 Replica Build

The XR650R had a very successful stint as a Baja 1000 race bike from the early naughties with Team Honda USA with riders like Johnny Campbell/Steve Hengeveld/Mike Childress. I will not attempt to go into the history and stats (as these are easy to find with a Google search), but in short the XR650R kicked ass from its first year to its last, when it was replaced by the more nimble CRF450. It has however still got a strong presence amongst the more amateur desert racers even today.

I have chosen to replicate the Team Honda 1x bike from the 2005 Baja 1000 as it was towards the final development of the race bike prepared by Precision Concepts and has the best mods I feel. This page will document what I have done so far and what is still left to do (mostly in pictures). I want it as close to the original within reason (reason meaning: there are parts that are incredibly rare and not entirely known to many people and the full extent of the engine mods was a very secret operation and remains so until today).

If nothing else I hope this helps anyone else who would like to find any of the parts needed in the future for their own build. As of 2013 parts are getting hard to find and If anyone needs help please ask!

Early days (March 2013)

Parts begin arriving

Early progress

As it looks today (12/07/2013)

Parts are coming thick and fast right now, but the only bits I can't get my hands on are the JC signature BRP triple clamps and the works rear calliper (not likely to get this though). I have been blessed with help by those involved in the Baja XR's and people connected to the riders and I would like to thank everyone for helping so far.

More specific information about the work done and the parts needed will follow over the next few days/months. I hope to complete the build by latest December 2013.

Long live the 'Baja King'!

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:36 PM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

The Frame

My 2000 XR650R (Aussie spec, road legal with uprated stator and all the electrics) was not the most ideal base for this build. There were many signs of its age showing, and as new shiny parts started to arrive I knew I had to make the old things look new again!

The first thing to tackle was the frame. I took it to a local bike paint shop and came out feeling let down. The guy I spoke to was friendly but he didn't look positively on getting my frame sanded and painted/powder-coated. His exact words were: "it'll take a lot of hours", "won't be cheap" and "I have never done a dirt bike frame before, the oil tank is a problem".

With pressure building on getting the build done right, I thought I would find a better solution and do it myself. I looked at what is actually on show once the bike is fully built, and also what on my frame was looking tired. Years of leaking coolant had pitted the lower cradle and the side uprights were scuffed (the tubular parts of the frame, I polished the cast bits but left them as they were)

I decided to sand these areas by hand, using first a 240 paper and then a 400 to finish. It took several hours and also an electric drill with wire brush bit to get at all the corners and provide an even finish. I had to sand lightly to finish, and only in one direction to create a nice 'brushed' aluminium look. End result is it looks great! It will be open to the elements and I don't expect it to stay this nice, but I can always maintain it by lightly sanding it again.

Using a top quality aluminium polish also adds a layer to protect the exposed aluminium from the elements.

**For any purists reading this: I discovered that the 1x bike also had 'brushed' aluminium on the uprights, so this method is in line with the real thing **

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 04:08 PM
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post

The first thing to tackle was the frame. I took it to a local bike paint shop and came out feeling let down. The guy I spoke to was friendly but he didn't look positively on getting my frame sanded and painted/powder-coated. His exact words were: "it'll take a lot of hours", "won't be cheap" and "I have never done a dirt bike frame before, the oil tank is a problem".

Using a top quality aluminium polish also adds a layer to protect the exposed aluminium from the elements.

**For any purists reading this: I discovered that the 1x bike also had 'brushed' aluminium on the uprights, so this method is in line with the real thing **
I may have polished my frame a little

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Nice! How has yours held up since polishing cognugget?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Nice! How has yours held up since polishing cognugget?
eh... not bad... I have been on mostly street with over the boot pants. When I did my dune trip it got really messed up. Still looked better than it did before i sanded it down.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Cool thread, I almost forgot you were doing this.

My only question so far is for the shock; what is the deal with the red anodized rebound adjuster?

I am super curious what the motor mods are also.

That is going to one clean looking bike.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
eh... not bad... I have been on mostly street with over the boot pants. When I did my dune trip it got really messed up. Still looked better than it did before i sanded it down.
Hang on a second.......Did you also polish the kick starter?!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Im in!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Im in!
Me too!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Thanks for the info Mung, I have updated my original post.

Tell me a little about your bike, I see you have posted these photos but didn't mention much about your bike and when and what it was built for. I have seen two cases of the 'Baja Batwing' I posted originally (one on a works bike still in storage) and only yours with that design, so I had to decide that the former was original.

Perhaps they tried and changed the design each year so it evolved? Not sure but I will be interested to know more. Also the bit I stated about increased high rpm performance may be incorrect too, there seems to be some who suggest it was for low down rpm to smooth the power.

If only the XRR was being raced now with Internet knowledge and photography of today, it would be a lot easier to research!

Cheers

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:45 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

The Mikey Childress 3.2 gallon IMS dry-break tank arrived today, and here's the bike :)

As you can see I still need to do the HRC air box cut out modification on my new side panel - planning on buying XRSonly's kit and using a Dremmel to do the surgery

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Batwing and bike

That picture is from my 05. My 2000 was stock motor with suspension work and all the goodies.My 05 has ported head with stock valves,12-1 piston,Hot Cam 2,full pc ceramic coated exhaust.It is used in Idaho desert with usually 2-3 Baja trips a year.Even with the high compression I have never had a problem with the burro pee you sometimes get in Baja.I think the cam knocks a bit off the compression so that is why it can live.It is a very strong motor that starts easy and is smooth and very fast in a sneaky way.With the batwing I noticed easier starting and smoother power but the best thing about it it makes jetting a breeze.Idaho I use a 175 main and Baja I use a 180 main.That is the only change I ever make from sea level to 9k feet.Does not ping,overheat,stall[even with 15-46 gears],get hard to start or have any other bad manners. Has a lot of miles with no problems at all. Mark
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
That picture is from my 05. My 2000 was stock motor with suspension work and all the goodies.My 05 has ported head with stock valves,12-1 piston,Hot Cam 2,full pc ceramic coated exhaust.It is used in Idaho desert with usually 2-3 Baja trips a year.Even with the high compression I have never had a problem with the burro pee you sometimes get in Baja.I think the cam knocks a bit off the compression so that is why it can live.It is a very strong motor that starts easy and is smooth and very fast in a sneaky way.With the batwing I noticed easier starting and smoother power but the best thing about it it makes jetting a breeze.Idaho I use a 175 main and Baja I use a 180 main.That is the only change I ever make from sea level to 9k feet.Does not ping,overheat,stall[even with 15-46 gears],get hard to start or have any other bad manners. Has a lot of miles with no problems at all. Mark
Sorry to drag up an old post Mung, but I just wanted to know if you run your bike without the coolant overflow bottle or not? The race bikes did away with it but I am still undecided if I should do the same (I am currently of the opinion that I should keep it for road use).

Secondly do you still have the manual decomp fitted? That is another thing I am unsure about as the race bikes apparently had the HRC cam but the photos I have seen they had the Works Connection Decomp lever fitted (like the one I posted about a few pages back), so that doesn't quite add up?

Any thoughts form anyone would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Sorry to drag up an old post Mung, but I just wanted to know if you run your bike without the coolant overflow bottle or not? The race bikes did away with it but I am still undecided if I should do the same (I am currently of the opinion that I should keep it for road use).

Secondly do you still have the manual decomp fitted? That is another thing I am unsure about as the race bikes apparently had the HRC cam but the photos I have seen they had the Works Connection Decomp lever fitted (like the one I posted about a few pages back), so that doesn't quite add up?

Any thoughts form anyone would be appreciated.
Hello Lostaffa,

Thoughts on your manual decomp ? Personally I would keep the manual decomp. I have a BRP and they have some serious compression in stock form. Recently installed a new cam and went with the stock one that has the auto decomp mechanism on it to prevent kickback. Bad knees are a deciding factor for that though. I have read others have been breaking kick levers due to no manual. Another thought is if you do break a kick lever she is gonna be a bitch to push start without the manual decomp.

Keep the pictures coming.

That sure is a nice looking build you have going on !>>>>>>>>
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post
Hello Lostaffa,

Thoughts on your manual decomp ? Personally I would keep the manual decomp. I have a BRP and they have some serious compression in stock form. Recently installed a new cam and went with the stock one that has the auto decomp mechanism on it to prevent kickback. Bad knees are a deciding factor for that though. I have read others have been breaking kick levers due to no manual. Another thought is if you do break a kick lever she is gonna be a bitch to push start without the manual decomp.

Keep the pictures coming.

That sure is a nice looking build you have going on !>>>>>>>>
Thanks for that Dan, glad you like it. It seems best to keep the manual then, I don't fancy any of those problems :) ! Basically I wouldn't want to get rid of it but I am curious how the 1x bike had an HRC spec cam yet it had a decomp lever, because I was under the impression that the HRC did away with the manual decomp.