User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Oddometer: 179
Thumb Micatech: Living the Dream

Hi all, my buddy Bill and I have a passion for our GS bikes that has influenced our lives in ways we had not imagined.

That passion led us to forming Micatech Design. Micatech has helped us to share those products we were designing that improved our riding enjoyment and those we rode with. We have jumped numerous hurdles getting the business stuff in place so that we could share our product ideas with others. We empathize with David Peteresen, Ricardo Kuhn and others as they ramp up their companies. Kudos to Ricardo for so effectively sharing his passion with us all. :)

We have started with relatively simple designs: Light Bars and Skid Plates that are fabricated with CAD/CAM design, computer guided precision laser or water cutting and expert machining using what we believe is the finest raw material for this application: Titanium.

We have tried to charge a fair price that allows a modest profit so that we can fund the main objective for our company, which is completing the final product development and testing of our Pilot line of Tig welded aluminum luggage.

We offer PIAA lights and Autoswitches to compliment the Titanium Light Bars. And we are presently evaluating street legal HID light systems for considerably more reasonable prices then we have seen elsewhere. And we have completed customer installations of our PIAA lights, Light Bars and Autoswitches.

Once our Pilot luggage is ready for your purchase we will complete our luggage line by designing integrated Top Case, Rear Rack, Back Rest and Tool Tray products. This integration means that our luggage brackets that attach to the rear-subframe will support the weight of these accessories rather than the cast aluminum BMW rear rack (that I've fractured by using other products presently offerred on the market today).

We have a design in the works for a solid state power panel to support all the electrical goodies on our GS's.

And, we also sell the complete Marsee products with an emphasis on those that work well with the GS.

If you have a custom design or fabrication project that you are in need of CAD/CAM, fabrication or distribution, please contact us.

Bill and I are busy (and enjoying it) getting Micatech started while also being employed as engineers for a large technology company.

The customer response has been great so far, we've had happy customers from all over the US. We have several BMW dealerships in the NorthWest now reselling our Micatech products.

Our site is: www.micatech.net

We're looking for a web designer who could help us improve the presentation of our products.

Please send us your suggestions for accessories you would like designed and fabricated. Also, if there are other vendors gear that you would be interested in please let us know mailto:contact@micatech.net.

Best Regards,

Chuck Hartshorn & Bill Miller
Micatech Design - Living the Dream

hchuck screwed with this post 11-11-2002 at 11:29 AM
hchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 13,875
How about some lightbars for the F650GS? Should fit with engine guards mounted. I would think there's a pretty good market for them and they're probably not a lot lot different than for the big GS.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Wings
How about some lightbars for the F650GS? Should fit with engine guards mounted. I would think there's a pretty good market for them and they're probably not a lot lot different than for the big GS.
My partner and I have considered this. He has a '96 650 and an 02 R1150GS Adventure. We understand that from year to year and model to model there are some variances which would require different designs for light bars on the 650.

Wings, if you would be willing to organize a group purchase of 10 or more who would want a Micatech Titanium light bar designed for an '03 650GS (and same-design related models/years) then I'd be willing to build it and bear the design/prototype(s) costs.

If you want me to design/prototype/build a light bar for you only then please PM me off list for details.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
Wings
marmaduked

Sounds good...I'll try and see what kind of response I get on the ChainGang board. Martin Fabrications makes a nice product as well, but I like your approach with the titanium. And if the cost stays comparable (please advise) to your 1150 bars they would definitely be competitve and very saleable. If they let me post on the board directly (I dunno if they would consider this spam?) I will do so, otherwise I should be able to go ahead and get an ad in their classifieds/vendor section as soon as the webmaster gets back (out of town for the week).
Old 11-11-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,154
Re: Micatech: Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by hchuck

Once our Pilot luggage is ready ........Chuck Hartshorn & Bill Miller
Micatech Design - Living the Dream

Damnit Chuck....Stop spend'n your time post'n here, spend that time get'n that luggage ready. I sold my stock system cases and the only reason I have not pulled the trigger on a set of Zega cases is my think'n that your stuff might be in the run'n.

Get back to work, tell Bill I said he should get to work also :):
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Quote:
Sounds good...I'll try and see what kind of response I get on the ChainGang board. Martin Fabrications makes a nice product as well, but I like your approach with the titanium. And if the cost stays comparable (please advise) to your 1150 bars they would definitely be competitve and very saleable. If they let me post on the board directly (I dunno if they would consider this spam?) I will do so, otherwise I should be able to go ahead and get an ad in their classifieds/vendor section as soon as the webmaster gets back (out of town for the week).
Wings - We talked about our options and decided to make a lunch field trip to Beaudry Motorsports and take another look at a current model F650GS. I'll reply to you tomorrow about what it'll take to fabricate and if we can schedule it.

hchuck screwed with this post 11-11-2002 at 10:50 PM
Old 11-11-2002, 10:48 PM   #7
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Re: Re: Micatech: Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Damnit Chuck....Stop spend'n your time post'n here, spend that time get'n that luggage ready. I sold my stock system cases and the only reason I have not pulled the trigger on a set of Zega cases is my think'n that your stuff might be in the run'n.

Bill and I just climbed out of the Coal Mines... Making some good progress.

Thanks for the not-so-gentle encouragement RAD on the Pilot Luggage! I sold all my hard luggage also and I can't wait to get the next version of our Pilot bags on my GS.

Our Pilot luggage focus right now is on another iteration of the brackets and a revision of the door closure. We've considered various finish options and local venders and selected a very good powder coating service to finish the luggage.

Anyone have suggestions on a set of 2 or 3 standard color options? {black, black with gold metal flake, silver metal flake, titanium, chartreuse, neon green...???}

We're also considering various options to make our website easier to navigate and purchase products online.

Thank you for the interest in our gear, we wish we could move quicker! We are getting more efficient as we make progress on each new project, but I know it must be difficult waiting for us to finish the luggage. We're really excited with how the luggage is shaping up and hope you will be too.

...Heading right back out to the factory.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:10 AM   #8
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,154
Re: Re: Re: Micatech: Living the Dream

Quote:
...Heading right back out to the factory.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #9
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Wings - We talked about our options and decided to make a lunch field trip to Beaudry Motorsports and take another look at a current model F650GS. I'll reply to you tomorrow about what it'll take to fabricate and if we can schedule it.
Sounds great!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #10
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Wings,

It looks like a bracket could be designed to support our Micatech Titanium light bar and mounted onto the F650GS and Dakar models easily.

We have 10 more light bars being cut with 2 new holes to support this new F650GS bracket. We are finishing the design on the bracket and will have it to the metal cutter by Friday. There will be some shaping involved after cutting.

Let me know when you have your group buy ready and how many light bars you'll need.

Live'n the Dream

Old 11-14-2002, 07:33 AM   #11
Wings
marmaduked

No direct responses from the CG yet. We'll see what the founder thinks about it when he gets back.
In the meantime, since you are thinking about re-using your existing model and adding brackets-where are the mounting points on the existing lightbar (on the martins it mounts right on the subframe above the engine guard attachment which makes for an ideal placement). Trying to figure out what position the lights will end up in (too high and you won't see the flashers anymore with the PIAA's running...too low and they'll get soaked in watercrossings). Will they need additional cuts/modification of the radiator guard?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 AM   #12
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Quote:
In the meantime, since you are thinking about re-using your existing model and adding brackets-where are the mounting points on the existing lightbar (on the martins it mounts right on the subframe above the engine guard attachment which makes for an ideal placement). Trying to figure out what position the lights will end up in (too high and you won't see the flashers anymore with the PIAA's running...too low and they'll get soaked in watercrossings). Will they need additional cuts/modification of the radiator guard?
The Micatech titanium light bar has two holes cut in order to support installation of one or two post PIAA mounts. One light mount hole allows a 6mm bolt and the outer hole is large enough for a 10mm post. This design enables any PIAA light to be mounted and most Hella and other major light manufacturers lights to be installed.

Our mount bracket will install below the radiator supports and place the light bar at about the same height as the other vendor's light bar. No cutting is required, they won't be too high and they should not have any more issue about getting soaked in water crossings then the other vendor's light bar.

The Micatech titanium bar is extremely strong and doesn't require a coating to prevent corrosion like aluminum brackets and bars. Our bar gives you more light install options then others, it's made from titanium and it will be equal to or less expensive to buy then other vendor's F650GS aluminum light bars. We're trying to make just a modest amount and get our products to more customers.

We just added another BMW dealer in Arizona to offer our Micatech gear. They are really excited about our titanium products and our pricing.

Please keep us updated on your group buy effort.

hchuck screwed with this post 11-14-2002 at 10:59 AM
Old 11-14-2002, 09:55 AM   #13
Wings
marmaduked

Hchuck,
That sounds perfect! I'm looking forward to the finished product and hope I can rallye some of the fellow GS'ers
Old 11-26-2002, 11:20 AM   #14
hchuck OP
GS Pilot

Re: Re: Micatech: Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Rad, et al,

We're picking up the next Micatech Pilot Case today. The door closure is re-designed to improve the seals.

I'll post a follow-up as more info (pictures) become available.

Living the Dream
Old 11-26-2002, 11:50 AM   #15
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Re: Re: Micatech: Living the Dream

Quote:

Living the Dream
I'm thinking my motto ought to be Dreaming the Life!
fish is offline   Reply With Quote