Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
TheSeeker OP
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Question Egypt. Looking for any current info...

Hello Africa, Mid-East and Worldwide Adv'ers! Desperately seeking information regarding general and motorcycle travel in Egypt 2013.

I am aware of the Pharoan's Rally and the current press releases stating that the conditions are secure and the rally will go on... this gives me hope.

I will be relocating to Egypt in late September 2013.

My significant other has taken a 2 year teaching contract in New Cairo, Egypt for 2013 & 2014. My current employment will allow for me to spend 6 months abroad each year while staying employed.

So my thoughts immediately turn to all things ADV... how to get a bike? Either get one of mine over to Egypt safely -or- where to buy one in Egypt? Or is there a smart other country to find a bike and then ride it/ferry it into Egypt?

Any info at all is greatly appreciated whether motorcycle or general Egypt related.

Cheers!
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
alsaasla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
what kind of bike you are looking for anyway i think you would really be better of by getting yours here it might cost u more bec of customs and transport but i am sure watever bike u decide u bring along will be better still than here.
mostly bikes over here are yamaha and honda mostly old models from year pre 1990 but still u can find 2003 xr here as well but nothing that in pretty good shape. and forget ktm
some prices as i am currently looking for a bike
2003 xr 650 L $4200
1999 yamaha ttr600e $2600
2002 ktm 640 adventure (32000 miles) $5000 there is only 3 in egypt for sale
1999 nx650 dominator $2200

as for mechanics i think anyone who can read english and understand some basic mechanics is far much better than any mechanic here. if u go to a mechanic he will probably fix ur issue but most certainly without knowing he will cause something else to break

on the other hand if u are looking for sports bike there are plenty here in egypt mostly honda though some are in pretty good shape usually these are imported.

have a look here at this site of motorcycle listed for sale so u can have an idea
http://egypt.dubizzle.com/en/cairo/i...cycles/search/
http://egybikers.com/Motorcycles.asp
http://www.bikesegypt.com/Bikes_Egyp..._Side_Bar.html

maybe if u r bringing a bike here i can tell u some freight companies who can handle shipping.
i might also be interested in sharing the transport money if u are willing to get me a bike as well
alsaasla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Stay Away, find another "mine field" to dance in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Hello Africa, Mid-East and Worldwide Adv'ers! Desperately seeking information regarding general and motorcycle travel in Egypt 2013.

I am aware of the Pharoan's Rally and the current press releases stating that the conditions are secure and the rally will go on... this gives me hope.

I will be relocating to Egypt in late September 2013.

My significant other has taken a 2 year teaching contract in New Cairo, Egypt for 2013 & 2014. My current employment will allow for me to spend 6 months abroad each year while staying employed.

So my thoughts immediately turn to all things ADV... how to get a bike? Either get one of mine over to Egypt safely -or- where to buy one in Egypt? Or is there a smart other country to find a bike and then ride it/ferry it into Egypt?

Any info at all is greatly appreciated whether motorcycle or general Egypt related.

Cheers!
I am guessing you are an American, so I am advising you consider going elsewhere!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
SaharaRider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I am guessing you already re-located by now, so no need to say much about the security situation. All I can say is that it has significantly improved and this is the safest period of time since 2011, when the revolution started.

As for bikes, buying a bike abroad and shipping it to Egypt might be a little bit cheaper, but by the time you clear it from customs, the effort and time is not worth it. You can buy any kind of bike you want in Egypt, new or used, you just need to know where to look. I bought three used bikes till now since 2010, all were great deals (Kawasaki z750 06', CBR 1000rr 08', KTM 530 EXC 11').

Hope that helps, and drop me a message if you need help finding a bike.

I am Egyptian btw...
SaharaRider is offline   Reply With Quote