User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Inuvik or Bust! Solo DRZ attempt

With just over 2 weeks to play with, I plan on heading solo on an 04 Suzuki DRZ400S as far north as possible, starting in Victoria BC, and time allowing, a bit of dirt through BC, through the Yukon, and possibly, hopefully, onto Inuvik. This will be a real test for me, and I’m not sure if I’ll see another chance to do this for a long time. We’ll see how far I get!

Ever since getting my first and only motorcycle 2 years ago, I’ve always wanted to go out on some kind of epic mission, like so many I’ve read about. It was my brother who got me into ADV, and I think it was his trip across Canada, thru to Darien Gap that really got me thinking about traveling this way. I was always a bicycle guy, mostly mountain biking and trials, so the transition to a dual sport was somewhat natural, it just took a while to make it happen, getting licences and finances together. Nowadays, I’d have it no other way- this is the way to travel!

I’ve done a few multi day rough camping and touring adventures around southern BC, and have learned a lot along the way, riding, exploring, camping, and refining the art of self-sufficiency, always for fun, though sometimes torture, to mentally and physically prepare myself for some bigger adventure. I don’t like getting stuck places, and I have learned that the hard way! I think with some of the pitfalls I have been through in the past with breakdowns, flat tires, and faulty electrics, I have a good idea of what to look out for, and I am religious about bringing what I need to get me home.

One of my biggest concerns is gas. I am riding an 04 Suzuki DRZ400S with a 10L tank. I usually carry a 5.67L can on the side, this time I will be carrying a 10L can on top of my bag as well. I usually get about 160-170kms per tank, so I expect this should get me about 400kms range, guessing on the conservative side. I’ll have to bring some oil too. I’m at 44,000kms, and I do burn a bit.

I switched to some older tires I had for the way up. They have a little bit of life, but not much. I’m switching back to 606’s, which I will be carrying, when the old ones are cooked. I’d buy tires on the way, but I have to pull off this trip for about $1500...

I plan on heading out the 2nd of August, so roughly 3-4 days through BC, 5 or 6 in the Yukon. Haven’t planned further than that..

First "real" ride report, Wish me luck!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 08:55 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,807
Awsome picture, good luck and have a safe trip.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Thanks! Just packing up again...

Borrowed a SPOT device from a co-worker today! Now I just have to figure out how to set up the thing...
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Whoo!

Looks like you're ready to do some wheelies
(will be better once you can swap those tires out)

Let us know about the SPOT thing, I think you may need to use the username and password of your co-worker to login and get it working https://login.findmespot.com/spot-ma...uth/login.html

Have fun man, take it easy

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 07:48 AM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Have a great trip, ride safe.

And you completely remind me of my trip to AK in 2010, on my KLR. The night before I left got the bike loaded with a pair of tires and all. Sat on the the bike and my wife was like, um, it's a bit low, no???

And yeah, it was. So off went the tires, and the spare tubes, and by the time I got everything figured out, I was 4 or 5 hours past my original start time.

Really wish I kept the spare tubes. But that is another story.

Take care, and post lots of pictures.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,988
Have fun! Girlfriend & I rode up the Dempster in '07 on our WeeStrom and Tiger. Have a beer at the Trapper Pub, the MacKenzie Hotel has good food and if you drop by the fire station and ask nicely they'll let you wash your bike.

2008 R1200GSA
2009 DD750
2010 MADASS 125
Scratch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Thanks, the tires are going ASAP!
The load looks sketch, but it's actually quite stable for what it is. The can is empty, and all the heavy stuff is down low. It's not the best, but it still feels way better than carrying a passenger!

Switched to a 41T rear sprocket, just cruises at 110 kph now!!

Guess what I woke up to today??? Hasn't rained in over a month, and I am faced with riding into a monsoon on the very first day!!

I'll try to figure out that SPOT over some coffee before I go, might as well, it's still raining... I may not make PG today, but I will be off the Island...

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 08:05 AM
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
good luck! We are planning another run on the Dempster in 2014 as we failed to meet our goal in 2012. The road was a mess with the reports coming of "ride 40 feet, fall over, pickup the bike and repeat." We were going to try it anyway but when they pulled one of the ferries out of the water due to high water and debris we were screwed and due to time limited (vacation time) we had to turn South.

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Gah, I hate that part of a trip all the little delays before actually setting off...

PG is a long haul! but you'll feel great once you're rolling

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Aiy, full disclosure, I am a big guy, about 265lbs with broad shoulders.

The 4 big gripes with my TX to AK and back were

1) I did not strap down my gear well enough one day, and lost a dry bag, that bag had my tire tools. I needed those tools just outside Dawson, luckily I ran into the Dick at the downtown hotel and he got me going.

2) When I got a new rear tire in Washington State, I did not replace the rear tube (with the patch from Dawson City), the tube died after 100 miles of riding post new tire. New RULE: If the tube is patched, at first reasonable opportunity, new tube!

3) I changed my mind to do the haul road to Prudhoe Bay. I allowed myself to think too fast, I needed to slow down. But I went south instead and went to McCarthy and Valdez, which where both cool. But I had no problem getting the McCarthy, at a good pace, even with the reported road condition of the haul road, I could have made it.

4) The KLR with me on it was not able to keep up to traffic on some of the roads. That was somewhat mitigated by route selection. But with limited vacation time, sometimes you need to just ride at 80mph.

ride safe. And keep us posted if you can.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #11
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
The 4 big gripes with my TX to AK and back were

1) I did not strap down my gear well enough one day, and lost a dry bag, that bag had my tire tools. I needed those tools just outside Dawson, luckily I ran into the Dick at the downtown hotel and he got me going.

Ain't that a bitch!!? I still have a set of tire irons somewhere in Canada in a ditch. Lucky for me three Canadians were only a few minutes behind me on the Cassiar and had tools I'm much to lazy to walk.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post

Guess what I woke up to today??? Hasn't rained in over a month, and I am faced with riding into a monsoon on the very first day!!

It should dry out as you head north, we haven't seen a drop nor is there any in the forecast...
The higher gearing should lesson engine oil use by giving the motor a more relaxed cruising RPM...

I look forward to following along...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

K Anton, just sent out a SPOT message, wanna check your email??

If there is anything else I should do with this thing, besides adding emails, someone let me know... never used one before..I don't think the owner subscribes to the mapping feature.

Jeez, it's pouring again!! Gotta get outta here soon!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Looks like it works!

Go for it G, you can dry out on the ferry

http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation...54N/123.35803W

You can tweak the finer details of the SPOT in PG, whenever you get there

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
I've always wondered if it is possible to ride all the way past Inuvik to Reindeer station? (I've got it on the brain as well). Would you mind checking it out?
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote