User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Exploring a whole lot more of Nevada – 2013

Nevada is a very cool place to ride a dual sport bike. This trip is my third time doing a week of riding in Nevada over the last 3 summers. Every summer it is incredible. Each winter’s rain and snow bring different conditions to the summer and change the landscape completely.

Here are links to our past trips. Have a look while you are waiting for this story to get going.

2011 Exploring Amazing Northern Nevada and SE Oregon 2011

2012 Returning to the desert – Nevada and Oregon 2012

Here are some teaser pics from the trip this year. It was fantastic!

MasterMarine screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 06:05 AM Reason: changed text color
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
dano619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
All In----thanks for sharin your ride!!
dano619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Awesome!!! Nice pics. You've got me .

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
I'm looking forward to this.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
Wowser what awesome scenery. Friend sent me the link to this RR. Thanks Dano619.

Subscribed!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 14
Subscribed.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dano619, jglow, Bob, benwiggin2 and Motokirby,

Thanks for following along. I promise there will be more scenic shots for you to enjoy. We had an amazing ride and we stood atop many amazing vistas.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

In 2012, I had come up with a huge 8 day loop for us to ride in Nevada during the planning stage. When I showed it to Chuck and Dan, they told me I was crazy. Plus Chuck had suffered a pretty bad foot injury while we were trail riding at Gifford Pinchot National Forest the summer of 2011 so he was not up for that kind of exploration. So I scaled it back to a 4 day loop. While planning for the 2013 ride, that ginormous loop kept crawling back into my mind. Finally I decided I was going to do that this year. We would see who was crazy enough to do it with me. I got to planning. I searched ADV, called other riders, sent Private Messages for info, called all the district offices of the Toiyabe National Forest for Motor Vehicle Use Maps, called several Nevada county offices for road info and spent many hours gazing at Google Earth and Basecamp plotting and adjusting the route. Just before we were to take off, I made a major edit to the route cutting off several hundred miles that would have taken us over to the Bonneville Salt Flats. I knew we would be lucky if we made it anywhere close to the full route and I wanted to make sure I got us down to the mountains in the middle of the state. They were calling me. I really wanted to explore them.

This year would be a bit different. (Aren’t they all?) We would have 2 groups of riders out on the ride. Not everyone was as crazy as me about the huge loop so I set up a shorter loop for them. Chuck would lead 3 other riders on a shorter loop staying north of I-80. I would lead 3 others on a loop that would extend far south of I-80. We would all ride together for the first couple days or so to Charleston Lake where Chuck’s group (the Short Timers) would head off to the west and my group would continue on toward the south into the unknown...
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Nevada is a very cool place to ride a dual sport bike. This trip is my third time doing a week of riding in Nevada over the last 3 summers. Every summer it is incredible. Each winter’s rain and snow bring different conditions to the summer and change the landscape completely.

Here are links to our past trips. Have a look while you are waiting for this story to get going.

2011 Exploring Amazing Northern Nevada and SE Oregon 2011

2012 Returning to the desert – Nevada and Oregon 2012

Here are some teaser pics from the trip this year. It was fantastic!

Great pics Mike!!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANTDC View Post
Great pics Mike!!
Thanks Dan! More coming.

You might want to update your signature.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the cast (I had to poach pictures from some of the other riders to come up with these):

Short Timer group

Chuck

He rides a DRZ400.

Dan

He rides a DRZ400 just like Chuck’s except it is blue.

Dale

Yet another DRZ rider.

Scott

He dares to be different and rides a Yamaha WR250R. He added a larger fuel tank this year to extend his range even further.

The long distance riders

MasterMarine

I have a new bike this year. 2013 KTM 500 EXC. I hope it works.

Bill

KLR650

Mark

Husky TE610

Don

KTM 450EXC

We would start at Denio Junction Motel and Bar and Grocery and RV Campground and Airport and Gas Station. Oh wait. No gas was available this year. Hopefully the pumps will be getting replaced soon.

I had prearranged rooms for the 4 of us doing the long ride. Chuck had taken care of arrangements for the Short Timers. We unloaded our bikes after the long drive and got things ready to go. We were all excited. It was almost time to go! Tomorrow it begins!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,336
This is looking good! I will be watching.

Im over in Chico CA and have spent some time running around in Nevada,but not near enough. I hope to get out there before the snow flies this year.

Although we have gotten snowed on like a big dog in late June out between Gerlach and Denio,you just never know.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Overcomb3
Icy PUMA

Oddometer: 33
Nevada rules!

I'm in! Can't wait. I'll be taking notes for my ride next summer. Have fun guys.
Overcomb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Nevada is a very cool place to ride a dual sport bike. This trip is my third time doing a week of riding in Nevada over the last 3 summers. Every summer it is incredible. Each winter’s rain and snow bring different conditions to the summer and change the landscape completely.
Master Marine, I did not see if you posted any GPS tracks but would like them. Have you looked at my Nevada Statewide MOtorized Trail System file on GPSXchange.com? Would like any additions. I don't have much for north central or North east. My favorite is along Hwy 50 across central.

Thnks for your service.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Mark was the first one through the door and he looked like someone just chased him around the woodshed with a hatchet for about an hour while throwing dirt on his face. Don had a similar appearance... but possibly a little dirtier. The unflappable Bill walked in looking like he always does... as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. However, he did utter a few disparaging words with respect to the last section of "road" into town. Mike wisely went directly to the fuel pumps and filled up before walking into the Outdoor Inn. By the time he showed his face, he was all smiles. Since Mike is the one who planned the routing of the ride, short of someone losing a limb, the route was going to be the "best ever"... no matter what.
Great post Scott. Hit the nail on the head.